elmb and ulmb? Diffrence?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
miszt

elmb and ulmb? Diffrence?

Post by miszt » 15 Mar 2020, 21:22

Hello guys.
Asus supports elmb, which is Asus's own backstrobing technology.
Nvidia support ulmb, which can be used on most of the monitors.

I wonder which function is better. Are they just same?

* I used BENQ's dyac before, and I think it's the best since it keeps the brightness. However, I'm just waiting for the XL2546S version to come out, so I don't have any plan to buy BENQ now. That's why I'm just holding on to normal 144hz monitors, just gonna use for a few month.

Otzl

Re: elmb and ulmb? Diffrence?

Post by Otzl » 16 Mar 2020, 07:23

I could be completely wrong here, but I'm sure it depends on the monitor and the implementation of either ULMB or ELMB. I haven't tried ULMB, but the ELMB mode on this ASUS TUF VG279QM is decent enough at 280Hz. Using lower refresh rates is actually worse, as there's major ghosting due to the Overdrive setting being locked. I leave my FPS uncapped in Battlefield V with an RX 5700 XT, and with ELMB on, the experience is relatively smooth and enjoyable. It's just such a shame I can't take advantage of the huge 280Hz refresh rate headroom and get decent strobing at a lower refresh rate, but oh well. It's still a gorgeous panel. I'm not going to bother explaining ELMB-sync (ELMB and adaptive sync-on), because it's beyond a joke.

I think this would be so much better if ASUS would simply release some firmware update that would allow users to adjust the Overdrive setting when ELMB is turned on. The fact you can't tweak ELMB to your liking is really holding the tech back.
Viewsonic XG270 @ 119Hz (VT 2268) with PureXP "Ultra" | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | AMD Radeon RX 5700XT | Patriot Viper Steel Series 4400Mhz @ 3800Mhz 1:1 FCLK

Dmoney405

Re: elmb and ulmb? Diffrence?

Post by Dmoney405 » 17 Mar 2020, 12:39

Otzl wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 07:23
Using lower refresh rates is actually worse, as there's major ghosting due to the Overdrive setting being locked.
This is definitely an issue and is also happening to my unit, but it isn't the only reason the image gets worse with lower fps. Some units have been tested and shown to have multistrobing on lower refresh rates causing multi-images overlapping each other. More testing needs to be done to confirm this is an overall issue and not issues with certain models. On high fps you get to keep a single strobe so it look's pretty clean but as you get lower it strobes more often per frame to keep the same brightness and causes a multi image effect. So what you see is a combination of inverse ghosting or overshoot with possible multistrobing..

I've kinda tested it on my monitor and on my unit I am getting more artifacting than inversed ghosting would cause on it's own so as of right now my assumption is it's multistrobing in addition to the overdrive. This is a simple test where all you need to do is choose a static refresh rate, apply overdrive, then enable Esync and see if it looks similar. If it has more artifacting than normal overdrive it's likely multistrobing could be the issue.