viewsonic elite xg270 motion blur at 250hz framerate + Console(ps5/series x MBR compatibility)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RLCSContender*

viewsonic elite xg270 motion blur at 250hz framerate + Console(ps5/series x MBR compatibility)

Post by RLCSContender* » 24 Mar 2020, 14:37

I will be maining the viewsonic elite xg270 to contend for RLCS season 9 and 10 for rocket league(i'm a top 200 high Grandchamp for 3s and 2s). I pretty much have a lot of motion blur on my older 144hz monitor. whether i move the camera, or when the ball moves at fast paces. So i relied on a lot of practice and skill to make up for the motion blur i had. Although the motion blur didn't stop me from getting better at this game, i still had to compensate with a lot of practice.

Rocket league runs consistently at 250 FPS(only time the fps dips is during load screens).

Just how big of a difference is having motion blur reduction on vs motion blur reduction off for a 240Hz monitor like the XG270 at 250Hz framerate?

I've tried both and i see perfect motion clarity at 120Hz(the ball isn't blurry or camouflaged when going at fast pace). However, at 250Hz framerate on a 240Hz refresh rate monitor, although i see subtle ghosting, the trade off is a brighter image and less input lag.

There's a thing in rocket league and that is 50/50s and whiffs. its inevible and having good motion clarity is the best way to win majority of 50/50s and whiffing less(especially if the ball is going at high speed). However, the trade off is, latency and brightness. So as of right now, i'm just experimenting on which i should use.

Lastly, will the xg270 motion blur reduction work with the ps5/series x? . Ps5/series x runs on nvidia gpu and the xg270 is a freesync monitor. Sony and microsoft claimed that their consoles can run at 120Hz, which is a perfect refresh rate for the xg270 to use its motion blur reduction technology.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: viewsonic elite xg270 motion blur at 250hz framerate + Console(ps5/series x MBR compatibility)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2020, 19:59

The problem is there's no jack-of-all-trades strobing at the moment...
-- Strobing for consoles? (60Hz single-strobe)
-- Strobing for Max Hz? (240Hz)
-- Strobing for low lag?
-- Strobing for image quality?

Personally, if you want are hell-bent on console strobing (single-strobe 60Hz) or max-Hz strobing (240Hz strobing at 240Hz), I may have to recommend the BenQ XL2546S. While that means I am gently recommending you away from a Logo certified monitor in this unique specific instance, XG270 is not ideal for console nor max-Hz strobing.

I do love the XG270 -- and it is Blur Busters Approved -- but for 100Hz or 120Hz strobing. Refresh rate headroom is better for strobe quality.

It's important to prioritize if you prefer low strobe lag (240Hz BenQs for strobed esports via DyAc), versus improved strobe quality + color quality (XG270, 75Hz-144Hz recommended strobe range). 120fps@120Hz VSYNC ON strobing on XG270 has more enjoyable color/motion quality for solo gaming than 240Hz VSYNC OFF strobing on XL2546, BUT the XL2546 has lower strobe lag at 240Hz.

Refresh rate headroom is good for strobe quality. You get less crosstalk double-images for 120Hz strobe on a 240Hz monitor, than 120Hz strobe on a 144Hz monitor. The extra refresh rate margin can be redirected to improve low-Hz strobe quality. That's why some people said the XG270 strobing looks better than a Sony FW900 CRT.

If you need console strobing (60Hz single strobe), your options become much more limited; i.e. BenQ XL2411P with Blur Busters Strobe Utility. The XL2411P is only 144Hz but it is one of the few currently-selling monitors with 60Hz single strobe.

What is your priority for strobing? Strobing quality or strobing lag? Console single-strobe support?

Amazon links:

If you need single-strobe 60Hz --
BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P - 24" 1920x1080 TN 144Hz

If you need gbood 240Hz Strobe --
BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 - 24.5" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync with strobe range 60-240

If you need best-image-quality strobe at 100Hz or 120Hz --
Viewsonic XG270 - 27" 1920x1080 IPS 240Hz FreeSync / G-SYNC Compatible

There are other recommendations, NVIDIA ULMB is quite easy and flexible but console-incompatible, and not available for max-Hz. That said, the current Blur Busters Approved program has prioritized on reducing strobe crosstalk and improving image quality of strobing. We're thinking of how to focus on the "jack of all trades" impossibility at the moment -- so for now, these are the above recommendations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!