inverse ghosting occasionally

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
botlof

inverse ghosting occasionally

Post by botlof » 03 May 2020, 10:39

hey,
since i've upgraded my gpu im having inverse ghosting sometimes.

on my benq xl2411p i have ama on high, so by default i have inverse ghosting, but sometimes i launch my games and its extreme.
in this case i can just restart the game or turn off monitor and it will be normal again.
what might be the cause for this?

Falkentyne

Re: inverse ghosting occasionally

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2020, 00:36

Are you using blur reduction?

botlof

Post by botlof » 04 May 2020, 07:06

Falkentyne wrote:
04 May 2020, 00:36
Are you using blur reduction?
no, its off

EDIT:

so, today for example i start CS GO and dont have any inverse ghosting problems.
i close the client and launch it 20 mins later. i did nothing in these 20mins. pc was on idle.
this time however i have really bad inverse ghosting.
i press the monitors power button to turn it off.
i press it again and the monitor turns on.
inverse ghosting is gone...

so, i guess my monitor is just broken?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2020, 11:04

It could be caused by a firmware issue that configures the wrong overdrive setting.

Something might have changed as a mode change (like a resolution change or refresh rate change when switching between the game and the Windows desktoip) -- every time you enter/exit CS:GO -- triggering an existing firmware bug in the monitor in its ability to recall its original overdrive setting. This might explain the difference. Basically a latent bug that got triggered by a change (GPU upgrade).

You know how the screen goes black for about 1-2 seconds between Windows Desktop and the game? That's usually the mode change moment (a resolution change, a refresh rate change, or a change-back-and-fourth, or enter/exit FreeSync mode, etc).

Theory:
One possible test is create a Custom Resolution -- 1920x1079 that only contains one available refresh rate -- Set both Windows desktop and configure CS:GO to that. Once you enter/exit the game, there will no longer be any mode changes (hopefully) -- and th us avoid triggering the AMA bug specific to this version of the monitor's firmware. Make sure that your NVIDIA Control Panel (or AMD CCC) is identical for Windows desktop and for CS:GO.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

botlof

Post by botlof » 04 May 2020, 11:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2020, 11:04
It could be caused by a firmware issue that configures the wrong overdrive setting.

Something might have changed as a mode change (like a resolution change or refresh rate change when switching between the game and the Windows desktoip) -- every time you enter/exit CS:GO -- triggering an existing firmware bug in the monitor in its ability to recall its original overdrive setting. This might explain the difference. Basically a latent bug that got triggered by a change (GPU upgrade).

You know how the screen goes black for about 1-2 seconds between Windows Desktop and the game? That's usually the mode change moment (a resolution change, a refresh rate change, or a change-back-and-fourth, or enter/exit FreeSync mode, etc).

Theory:
One possible test is create a Custom Resolution -- 1920x1079 that only contains one available refresh rate -- Set both Windows desktop and configure CS:GO to that. Once you enter/exit the game, there will no longer be any mode changes (hopefully) -- and th us avoid triggering the AMA bug specific to this version of the monitor's firmware. Make sure that your NVIDIA Control Panel (or AMD CCC) is identical for Windows desktop and for CS:GO.
im using global settings in nvidia control panel for all my applications.

i have two options that differ from windows desktop to cs go.
1. im using 1280x960 stretched in cs go and native 1080p desktop.
2. in nvidia control panel im using "highest refresh rate available" and in cs go i have the launch option -freq 144 which basically forces cs to 144 hz. do you think there might be a bug that "higest refresh rate" in nvidia isnt exactly 144hz and therefore there is a slight change in hz? (monitor is 144hz)

also, this doesnt happen after every launch and sometimes its simply enough to restart the game client.
do you think its possible that this bug occurs occasionally and not every single time?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2020, 12:02

botlof wrote:
04 May 2020, 11:30
If you use GPU scaling and it's the same refresh rate (exactly) there would not be a mode change. But it's hard to guarantee a zero-mode-change for a resolution change, since you have a resolution change.
botlof wrote:
2. in nvidia control panel im using "highest refresh rate available" and in cs go i have the launch option -freq 144 which basically forces cs to 144 hz. do you think there might be a bug that "higest refresh rate" in nvidia isnt exactly 144hz and therefore there is a slight change in hz? (monitor is 144hz)
There will probably be a mode change for 1280x960 vs 1920x1080 if the horizontal scanrate OR the pixel clock OR the refresh rate is different. So even if Hz is the same there may always be a mode change.
botlof wrote:
also, this doesnt happen after every launch and sometimes its simply enough to restart the game client. do you think its possible that this bug occurs occasionally and not every single time?
It's possible. Hard to say. But there usually is a pattern associated.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

botlof

Post by botlof » 04 May 2020, 12:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2020, 12:02
i still have 3 months warranty on that monitor. should i just send it back to benq and ask for a firmware update?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 May 2020, 18:14

botlof wrote:
04 May 2020, 12:40
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
i still have 3 months warranty on that monitor. should i just send it back to benq and ask for a firmware update?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
botlof wrote:
If you use GPU scaling and it's the same refresh rate (exactly) there would not be a mode change. But it's hard to guarantee a zero-mode-change for a resolution change, since you have a resolution change.
botlof wrote:
There will probably be a mode change for 1280x960 vs 1920x1080 if the horizontal scanrate OR the pixel clock OR the refresh rate is different. So even if Hz is the same there may always be a mode change.
botlof wrote:
also, this doesnt happen after every launch and sometimes its simply enough to restart the game client. do you think its possible that this bug occurs occasionally and not every single time?
The last time I messed around with 1280x960, 1152x864 and 1280x720, there was something very weird about those resolutions.
This was over 6 years ago, but I remember SOME of them were in the EDID, or maybe only 1280x960 was, but the monitor identified 1280x768 as the exact same resolution, and 1152x864 would be identified separately if it was added manually. But I think only 100hz was in the EDID, and 120hz had to be added manually.

All 144hz resolutions were using 1920x1080 scaled settings and were NOT native. And the only way to make them appear native to the monitor was to change one of the horizontal or vertical totals, otherwise it wouldn't work. Had a similar problem getting 800x600@144hz to work.

There was also something messed up about 1280x960 if you were using *displayport* and the ToastyX pixel clock patcher, as the single link / dual link cutoff was right at that exact point. That's why using the pixel clock patcher and creating 1280x960 @ 85hz will cause an "Incorrect cable" error message. And I think at the time, if you renamed the pixel clock patcher to put a -dl at the end of the file name (before the .exe), it would circumvent that.

I don't remember any of this stuff anymore. My days of messing around trying to trick the Mstar scaler are long gone.

luriztfikri1

Post by luriztfikri1 » 05 May 2020, 04:52

i also have this issue:(, everytime launch cs:go i saw annoying ghosting when i moving around, i need to turn off the monitor then turn on again, and the issue is gone! seems like the instant mode not working properly. what should we do then?

botlof

Post by botlof » 10 May 2020, 10:18

Update: currently in contact with benq support.
in the last few days i realized something.
when i start cs go and then alttab, my desktop mouse cursor shows very strong ghosting too.
so, basically the idea with resolution change leading to a ama bug is 100% correct.
thanks for the help!