Should I upgrade from xl2411z to IPS 240hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
donnie

Should I upgrade from xl2411z to IPS 240hz

Post by donnie » 05 May 2020, 04:40

Hey all,

It's been quite some time since I last posted on this great forum. And since then I've seen lots of very nice threads and been slowly lurking around and reading interesting posts. So lately I been having an itchy finger to buy something new, and since I am still using my old xl2411z I've been wanting a new screen for quite some time. I am getting older, and the screen has very bad colors + my eyes are getting weak, I can't see shit :lol: :geek:

I mainly play FPS\Moba games, COD MW, League of Legends, some Warzone, CS GO or Overwatch here and there. I also do some video editing here and there. So far I use 144hz and uncapped fps on COD MW and can get around 230+ fps on 1080p with lowest settings. This has worked considerably well, besides shitty colors and not being able to see on a small screen sometimes (maybe I should have moved it closer)

Now here comes the question, I can get Viewsonic xg270 from a store near me for a good price, would it be an upgrade in my scenario, or would I see more input lag? Would using xg270 at 224hz/240hz and g-sync enabled have far more delay compared to my current non v-sync, uncapped high frame rate scenario? Would I be able to have similar performance as I have now and bit better colors\larger picture? Or should I aim for some other monitor. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Infinity

Re: Should I upgrade from xl2411z to IPS 240hz

Post by Infinity » 13 May 2020, 07:48

I went from a 2420z to the Viewsonic and It was worth every penny to me but it really depends on you. I think any 240hz IPS upgrade whether you choose the 27 inch viewsonic or the 24 inch MSI will be a massive upgrade. You don't realize how bad your TN panel is color/accuracy/contrast wise until you compare them side by side ( mine was professionally calibrated and it still had massive blue tint which i never noticed until I got the viewsonic ). Listen the whole 1ms .5ms bullshit marketing is all that...bullshit marketing. Most of these GTG readings are coming from unusable overdrive settings that cause massive inverse ghosting. Most modern monitors are all gonna perform around 4-5ms GTG in practice. I will say you WILL notice the 240hz in CSGO. You don't need to run adaptive sync or PureXP in CSGO it wouldn't benefit too much outside of smoothing out spraying in which case I would use light/normal mode then. But if you play any other games like MOBA or RTS you will REALLY see a difference using PureXP with a frame/refresh cap around 120-144. COD MW really felt like shit on my old monitor but with Gsync it feels pretty good on the new monitor since the frame rates were unstable. A good price for the viewsonic would be about 400 I would say. The XG270 has a very HIGH quality stand being both metal with brushed effect on the bottom it was actually way nicer in person and no one commented enough on how high quality it was. The panel itself has all the extra shit even top end BENQs have like a handle on the back and joystick osd and mouse bungee/cable bungee built in. The monitor also has HDR400 which I didn't think I would like much but popping it on to watch netflix ( you need windows version of netflix to use ultra hdr stuff ) with it on it was noticeable and nice. Basically this monitor has literally every feature most other monitors have, so I think 400 is a good price point.

So basically TLDR is I now see 144 TN to 240 TN to be a sideways upgrade while 144 TN to 240 IPS is an upward upgrade. I think once you go IPS you won't wanna go back. I didn't think I would see that much difference in this thing but it's there. My unit, in particular, seems really good as it was perfectly calibrated out of the box and I already had the newest firmware upgrade and my overdrive settings can get pushed to 4/5 before I see any inverse ghosting problems ( some can only do 3/5 ). If it is any slower than my TN panel I don't think human beings can register it because I play osu! at a high level and I have no problems with this new panel, in fact, I immediately broke a few personal records I had on first use.

It all comes down to whether or not you can deal with the less pixel density of a 27 inch vs a 24 inch which if you can't I would say get the MSI Optix people seem to really like that thing and it's cheaper. 27 inch in-game looks fine in fact I kinda prefer it the downside of 27 inches is you really notice bad quality videos/streams more because the pixels are bigger so artifacts and blurry video are more noticeable but anything high quality looks great. Reading text is obviously a little rougher on 27 inch too. I would go into a local store if you got one that has a 27-inch 1080p monitor doesn't need to be 240hz or anything and just see if you like it or not.
Last edited by Infinity on 14 May 2020, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

donnie

Re: Should I upgrade from xl2411z to IPS 240hz

Post by donnie » 13 May 2020, 13:58

Thank you a lot for your answer although a bit late. In between I decided to and bought xg270, and I must say everything you said is right. I am totally loving this monitor and it's a huuuge upgrade. I don't really mind the 27" and bigger pixels, and I found that sitting bit further away makes it all the same. I have a little bigger picture and more space for working on desktop which is great.

I am totally loving the colors of a IPS, compared to the old TN it's like I got new pair of eyes. Also the stand is really nice and sturdy and I am loving how stable and non shaky the monitor is on the table. The gaming is also better and more fluid specially the high demand games using G-Sync like you said. PureXP+ is lovely on MOBA's and perfect glass like scrolling and panning is insane.

Thanks for your comprehensive written opinion and hopefully somebody else will also profit from this.