using ulmb on specific games

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
idanbn

using ulmb on specific games

Post by idanbn » 07 May 2020, 11:57

i have an ROG Swift PG248Q and i want to enable ulmb on certain games like LOL and Rocket League and G-Sync on others like AC:Odyssey and COD:MW.
now i managed to do that but only if i do 120Hz globally and the ulmb games are in fullscreen and i have 2 monitors so i prefer to be in borderless windowed but that doesnt enable the ulmb automatically so is there a way to do this in borderless windowed and that my G-Sync games will be in 144Hz or higher?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: using ulmb on specific games

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2020, 18:32

The Automatic ULMB Issue
If you want ULMB for your games automatically you can use NVIDIA Control Panel, there is a ULMB setting on a per-application basis. This may not work with all models of monitors, but as long as both monitors are set to the same refresh rate, this may be made automatic upon launching game.

The Multimonitor Issue
Are you aware that borderless windowed mode can add stutters/latency in a different-Hz multimonitor system? It's the same reason why TestUFO malfunctions if you run 2 TestUFO windows separately on both of the 2 monitors separately (just try it, two monitors at different Hz). The same stutters will show up in borderless windowed games too, if more than one application is running (unless it's completely static such as Microsoft Word or Notepad, with zero changed pixels -- many webpages have animated ads, or video, etc).

For proper native latency I recommend full screen exclusive on the primary monitor, in a discordant-Hz multimonitor system.

Now that being said, if you need both in windowed/borderless, then ideally recommend both be at exactly the same Hz.

_____

One creative trick some people do is to optionally create a 2nd resolution like 1920x1079 or 1920x1078 that is always only 120Hz (no 144Hz available at that resolution), to force your "max-Hz" games to run ULMB.

Some games only run at max Hz, so this is a method of tricking a lower-Hz max-Hz only for specific games, and you could keep ULMB permanently turned on for that specific refresh rate. Basically, makes it a bit easier to switch to 1080p 144Hz to turn off ULMB, switch to 1079p 120Hz to turn on ULMB.

Be noted that if you use two different modes for two different monitors, it can cause the Hz to float out sync between two monitors (e.g. 119.99Hz vs 120.01Hz etc) which has some latency-sawtoothing effects as the Hz slews against each other with the single-monitor-only-friendly dwm.exe windows compositor that applies to windowed/borderless -- especially if lots of activity (like video) is running on the 2nd monitor.

The windows compositor behaviors sometimes change between major Windows updates, and admittedly it's annoying to deal with. I just use "full screen exclusive primary" to guarantee native latency in a multimonitor system.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

idanbn

Re: using ulmb on specific games

Post by idanbn » 08 May 2020, 06:13

ok so the Hz problem is solved using custom resolution thank you.
but is there a way to do this in borderless?
i dont really get stutters so i prefer that my games would be borderless but whenever i try to do it that way it just doesnt change the Hz and the mode to ulmb it just stays in G-Sync.