Questions about XG270 and configuration.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
PYRUSWON

Questions about XG270 and configuration.

Post by PYRUSWON » 20 May 2020, 00:02

Hey guys, I bought the Viewsonic XG270 some time ago after reading about it on here rather extensively and I must say that I'm pretty happy with it, I think it's a great moniter, however I have some questions.

Firstly, by my understanding the new firmware for it that enables various PureXP modes is out, but I don't know how to download this. There's very little information on it online. Does it really make any difference in reducing motionblur fruther? Do I really need to download it?

Secondly, I've configured this moniter to have the following settings:
Black Stabilizer: 16
Sharpness: 75
Brightness: 50
Low Bluelight: 60
Color Temp: native
Contrast: 70
Gamma: 1.8
PureXP: ON

I play on a 144hz resolution.

Recently I've been noticing how there's some pretty bad crosstalk/ghosting at the bottom of my screen. I primarily play league of legends, and I have very little desire to go above 144hz in any case. I remember reading here that this moniter should have next-to-no crosstalk/motionblur etc at 144hz. and I'm wondering if there's any way I can get it to completely go away. It's not very bad, but I just figure if anyone knew how to get rid of it, it'd be the helpful folks here. I'm going exclusively for a no-crosstalk/motionblur etc experience, prioritizing motion clarity and smoothness first.

With that said, I feel like it's also worth mentioning that I don't use the moniter-build hertz limiter, instead I'm just changing the resolution in the Nvidia control panel to 144hz. Does this make a difference? I really love 144hz and I don't really want to go above or below it if possible.

Also, should I ever use this viewsonic master display controller thing? I feel like it doesn't really work right, and mine might be outdated, not too sure...

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me!

donnie

Re: Questions about XG270 and configuration.

Post by donnie » 20 May 2020, 05:28

1. You need to update your firmware. You can update it using master display controller software. Connect the supplied USB3 cable from your monitor to the PC and then run the software, wait a bit till the message to update pop up.

2. I am not sure how you are playing with those settings lol. That seems completely inaccurate. Firstly with PureXP+ enabled, brightness controll is disabled, so you can't controll it other then setting the different PureXP levels which control the amount (light, normal, extreme, ultra etc),. Secondly you should not use Black Stabilizer on 16.

3. League in fullscreen mode will force your monitor to max refresh rate (240hz) despite what you set in the NVCP, since thats the bug of league which automatically picks the EID max refresh rate. Thats why you should play in borderless which will keep your refresh rate.

For 144hz I suggest the following settings:

PureXP on normal\extreme based on how dark your room is.
If you want 144hz then cap 144fps in game
Color control on full control setup R 100 , G 98 B 100 (or per your calibration)
Gamma 2.2 (keep Gamma on its native setting)
Contrast 69 (I find that pushing it over 69 adds small green tint)
I disable the blue light because it just ruins the colors
Black stabilizer on 11, that seems the most accurate setting to me (you can potentially try 12)

Now you will notice a small tearing in the panning, because borderless is junk in League. Enabling V-Sync in game will fix this. The NVCP V-Sync option does not seem to work for League, I haven't noticed much input lag the game feels smooth. I haven't found other workarounds yet..

Hope this helps.

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 20 May 2020, 13:22

donnie wrote:
20 May 2020, 05:28
1. You need to update your firmware. You can update it using master display controller software. Connect the supplied USB3 cable from your monitor to the PC and then run the software, wait a bit till the message to update pop up.

2. I am not sure how you are playing with those settings lol. That seems completely inaccurate. Firstly with PureXP+ enabled, brightness controll is disabled, so you can't controll it other then setting the different PureXP levels which control the amount (light, normal, extreme, ultra etc),. Secondly you should not use Black Stabilizer on 16.

3. League in fullscreen mode will force your monitor to max refresh rate (240hz) despite what you set in the NVCP, since thats the bug of league which automatically picks the EID max refresh rate. Thats why you should play in borderless which will keep your refresh rate.

For 144hz I suggest the following settings:

PureXP on normal\extreme based on how dark your room is.
If you want 144hz then cap 144fps in game
Color control on full control setup R 100 , G 98 B 100 (or per your calibration)
Gamma 2.2 (keep Gamma on its native setting)
Contrast 69 (I find that pushing it over 69 adds small green tint)
I disable the blue light because it just ruins the colors
Black stabilizer on 11, that seems the most accurate setting to me (you can potentially try 12)

Now you will notice a small tearing in the panning, because borderless is junk in League. Enabling V-Sync in game will fix this. The NVCP V-Sync option does not seem to work for League, I haven't noticed much input lag the game feels smooth. I haven't found other workarounds yet..

Hope this helps.
Hey, I appreciate the reply.

These are just the settings that I took from the display controller and posted them here :P That is legitimately what I'm using right now!

I really don't mind the bland colors from the bluelight, I just don't want my eyes to be strained.

Do you suspect this will make the crosstalk/motion blur at the bottom of my screen go away completely? Also, for some reason I'm a bit (probably irrationally) reluctant to update my firmware because I'm relatively happy with my settings right now and don't want my whole display to get messed up.

Does the newer firmware upgrade the PureXP and make it more effective? Also why is it named PureXP+ now?

ALso, thanks for that information about league, I play in borderless and always have, but I wondered why fullscreen looked SO awful compared to borderless sometimes...

donnie

Post by donnie » 20 May 2020, 14:40

If you ask me, you should also care about color accuracy, that's essentially why we are choosing an IPS.

The firmware upgrade enables you the PureXP options such as Light\Normal\Extreme\Ultra that will allow you to fine tune the amount of brightness during this mode, currently if your on the old firmware, it only gives you ON\OFF option. On is essentially the Ultra setting on the new firmware, the darkest of them. There's no other big changes that I would know of, so you should definitely update without any worries.

Try my settings, maybe you will like them. I don't see any crosstalk at the bottom. Also you can test UFO tests to see how it performs.

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 20 May 2020, 14:46

donnie wrote:
20 May 2020, 14:40
If you ask me, you should also care about color accuracy, that's essentially why we are choosing an IPS.

The firmware upgrade enables you the PureXP options such as Light\Normal\Extreme\Ultra that will allow you to fine tune the amount of brightness during this mode, currently if your on the old firmware, it only gives you ON\OFF option. On is essentially the Ultra setting on the new firmware, the darkest of them. There's no other big changes that I would know of, so you should definitely update without any worries.

Try my settings, maybe you will like them. I don't see any crosstalk at the bottom. Also you can test UFO tests to see how it performs.
Alright, that's reassuring, I'm definitely going to update them.

And I find that surprising... you don't get any blurriness nearing the bottom of the screen on league when looking at things that are moving etc? That's strange, for me it's completely fine but nearing the bottom its pretty obvious.

donnie

Post by donnie » 20 May 2020, 15:12

Maybe I don't notice it, since different people are affected by it differently I guess. But I don't see it.

Have you tried this test: https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#photo ... &pursuit=0 ?

When I test it on 224\144\120 PureXP I get virtually no crosstalk or blurriness, put it in full screen mode.

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 20 May 2020, 15:19

donnie wrote:
20 May 2020, 15:12
Maybe I don't notice it, since different people are affected by it differently I guess. But I don't see it.

Have you tried this test: https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#photo ... &pursuit=0 ?

When I test it on 224\144\120 PureXP I get virtually no crosstalk or blurriness, put it in full screen mode.
I just tried it.

for the most part it's very bearable, it's definitely not bad by any means, but at the bottom is where it appears to be at its worst, it's just enough down there for me to notice. Afterall, it's not that bad, I just would rather it be gone if possible, you know?

Also, I updated the firmware, it's essentially the same as before with a few more options :P Currently on your settings.

I don't understand why my panel seems to have more than yours? For the most part it's only really very close to the bottom.

I did have a thought; A long time ago before I factory reset my PC and just slightly before I bought this panel I had changed my custom resoltuion on my old moniter that I changed out for this one. Maybe that is affecting something? Since then I've reinstalled windows twice, but for a small period of time perhaps this moniter was using that custom resolution?

Perhaps using a custom resolution would get rid of the little bit that I happen to have on this panel currently? I feel like I'm just noticing it now because I started really paying attention, but I don't really know for sure, I have barely done any tweaking outside of just opening the moniter, and setting some color settings that felt comfortable.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2020, 15:46

This also happens on NVIDIA ULMB and BenQ DyAc too. Crosstalk nonlinearity exists on all strobed panels because of sequential scanout refresh of the LCD panel interacting with the global-flash of the strobe backlight. See high speed videos of LCD scanout.

That's the chicken-and-egg problem for strobe backlights, not all pixels refresh at the same time on any LCD panel ever invented -- which makes things a little tricky for strobe backlights sometimes when pixel response is too slow to squeeze between refresh cycle (thus, creating strobe crosstalk). There is an Advanced Strobe Crosstalk FAQ that has been published for years, and XG270 has less crosstalk than most panels (at same strobe Hz)

There are factors. Lower Hz will reduce amount of crosstalk. Temperature changes can affect crosstalk position. Hot temperatures versus cold temperatures can shift crosstalk balance between top/bottom edgges. This is subtle though.

Now, it is possible that there is a panel lottery factor involved too (e.g. GtG being slightly faster versus slower) which would also affect crosstalk position slightly. This also affects all other panels, unfortunately, as GtG speed is hard to keep perfectly consistent between panels.

The most important thing is that screen centre should remain relatively clear.

144Hz is also pushing it for crosstalk, so try 120Hz if you want a bigger crosstalk-free surface area, because the LCD GtG has more time to squeeze between 120Hz refresh cycles, than squeeze between 144Hz refresh cycles.

Reduce refresh rate to 120Hz instead of 144Hz and there's further improvement to motion clarity. Also, there is an undocumented "Quick Frame Transport" 120Hz trick has less input lag than 144Hz without the Quick Frame Transport trick. It requires a large vertical total combined with RTSS Scanline Sync -- to reduce strobe lag by about 12ms (relative to most common VSYNC ON), though you need consistent 120fps in your game, for this trick to work successfully.

Now, the Hz-versus-crosstalk compromise is smallest at 75Hz refresh rate, with almost no crosstalk for all pixels. Raising refresh rate bit by bit, slowly increases the amount of crosstalk height at either or both top/bottom edges of the screen, reducing screen-height-percentage crosstalk-free area. The Hertzroom-vs-Max-Hz is the important tradeoff margin in crosstalk-free screen height, because of the "cram-GtG-between-refreshes" need.

Hertzroom-below-max-Hz is usually one of the best ways to reduce strobe crosstalk (when the VBI is optimized, either via Large Vertical Totals, or automatically inside a scanrate-converting TCON/scaler).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 May 2020, 15:55

Here's the Quick Frame Transport Trick (advanced tweakers only) for lower-strobe-lag 120Hz refresh rate. Only works if you can consistently achieve framerate=refreshrate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 20 May 2020, 19:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 May 2020, 15:46
This also happens on NVIDIA ULMB and BenQ DyAc too. Crosstalk nonlinearity exists on all strobed panels because of sequential scanout refresh of the LCD panel interacting with the global-flash of the strobe backlight. See high speed videos of LCD scanout.
Hey chief, thanks for the reply.

I understand there is bound to be some, but I feel like for some reason mine has gotten worse? I tried doing the custom resolution thing earlier today that I found on [url=viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6478 this thread quoting your settings [/url] but instead of it being on 120hz I tried it for 144 (bad idea) and it basically just turned off my moniter and I had to restart my pc.

The bad part about that news is that it seems like the crosstalk/motionblur has gotten worse actually? This is 80% likely just placebo, and I'm obsessing over it now and just super paying attention to it when I wasn't before, but I definitely feel like for some reason my panel has gotten worse as time has passed and I started messing with the OSD settings.

Is there any chance the custom resolution (through nvidia control panel) could EVER damage the moniter/change some setting? There's no obvious artifacts or anything but for some reason I feel like it's a bit worse. Hopefully I didn't make any bad mistakes....

At the end of the day, if I happend to do something that I can't immediately see without going into secret menus or something, is there just a reset button on this moniter to reset completely back to factory or something?

Thanks ahead of time.