Using VG27AQ as ultrawide (2560 x 1080) with custom resolution

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
oldpotato

Using VG27AQ as ultrawide (2560 x 1080) with custom resolution

Post by oldpotato » 23 May 2020, 23:07

Haven’t played shooters since Counter-Strike 1.6, but am just getting back into it with fast-moving games like Destiny 2. I really like ultra wide (it makes me feel fast) but hate both motion blur and input lag (they make me feel slow).

Didn't really like the ultrawides I saw out there - they seemed to be either expensive or not have great motion blur features. So the solution I’m experimenting with is using a VG27AQ with a custom resolution in NVIDIA settings to display only the 2560x1080 band across the middle of the screen. It seems pretty crisp. I’ve seen my Aim Lab *raw* reaction times improve from ~300ms to ~200ms.

But I have three questions.

1. How could I optimise the VG27AQ at 2560x1080 setup? Reading through the competitive ULMB guide (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3555) and other threads here on ELMB-Sync, I’ve developed the following shortlist.

To create smooth experience with minimal BFI input lag:
- Set refresh to 165 Hz with ELMB-sync, cap FPS at 162 with settings tuned for consistency, achieving strobe = refresh = framerate
- Set GPW mouse DPI to ~3200 @ 1000Hz, adjusting slightly to achieve in-game sensitivity of ~20 cm / 360 degrees (I know that’s a little high)

To minimise ghosting/crosstalk (I may be confusing similar ideas here):
- Define 2560 x 1080 custom resolution in middle of the screen with letterboxing above and below, as the middle has less crosstalk
- Contrast: set blacks above full black and whites below full white in NVIDIA control panel to reduce ghosting

Is there anything else I could be doing to reduce input lag, minimise motion blur, eliminate micro stutters, etc? E.g. what's this thing about defining artificially large vertical resolutions?

2. Related to the BFI vs input lag question. Do people really just stare at the crosshairs in shooters and use peripheral vision to acquire targets? I was trying that initially but the Aim Lab crew told me not to - and when I look at, say, Shroud with eye-tracking on he’s moving his eyes to the target first. Is there any further reading I could do on this? Seems really interesting.

3. What *should* I have gotten, to achieve 2560 x 1080 with minimal blur / low-enough input lag at a gaming newcomer’s price point? This isn’t just a hypothetical; my wife and I are playing enough together that we’ll probably need a new machine so I don’t have to keep using my MacBook Pro on an aging AOC 2963 (https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q2963pm-q2963pq/) that makes me feel drunk.

Thanks in advance for helping a newcomer out. Blurbusters seems like a great, science-driven community and I’m excited to be here.