Are moving objects in games more clear at 120hz strobed than 240hz non-strobed?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
fowteen

Are moving objects in games more clear at 120hz strobed than 240hz non-strobed?

Post by fowteen » 27 May 2020, 13:16

I have never used a monitor with motion blur reduction so I was looking through https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/ and the 120 Hz With Blur Reduction pursuit camera picture looks perfect. I know that not every panel with motion blur reduction can achieve this sort of clarity/invisible strobe crosstalk but would a moving object for example a player or character in a game look clearer in motion with 120hz strobed compared to 240hz non-strobed?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Are moving objects in games more clear at 120hz strobed than 240hz non-strobed?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2020, 18:51

fowteen wrote:
27 May 2020, 13:16
I have never used a monitor with motion blur reduction so I was looking through https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/ and the 120 Hz With Blur Reduction pursuit camera picture looks perfect. I know that not every panel with motion blur reduction can achieve this sort of clarity/invisible strobe crosstalk but would a moving object for example a player or character in a game look clearer in motion with 120hz strobed compared to 240hz non-strobed?
Answer: Yes.

Most strobe backlights are 1ms MPRT, so yes that is correct. They achieve what looks like CRT motion clarity.

You do have more stoboscopic stepping effects at a lower refresh rate, as seen in Stroboscopic Effects of Finite Frame Rates.

However, motion blur of panning / turning / scrolling, will definitely be less with strobing, at least until future 1000fps at 1000Hz, to eliminate motion blur without strobing.

Motion blur of strobed equals strobe flash length (minimum).
Strobe backlight flashes are often 1ms.

Motion blur of non-strobed equals refresh cycle length (minimum).
240Hz is 1/240sec, which equals about 4.166667 millseconds, four times longer than most strobe backlights

So, 240fps at 240Hz will have approximately ~4x more motion blur than almost any strobed monitor at almost any refresh rate. Some strobed displays are adjustable MPRT (Pulse Width adjustment), usually in the range of 0.25ms to 2ms.

For motion blur reduction, you do want to achieve framerate=Hz, otherwise you get duplicate images (much like Plasma or CRT 30fps at 60Hz).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fowteen

Re: Are moving objects in games more clear at 120hz strobed than 240hz non-strobed?

Post by fowteen » 27 May 2020, 18:59

If there was/is a 240hz strobed monitor with no strobe crosstalk will it be less blurrier than 120hz strobed or would it just have less input lag because the 120hz strobed picture looks pretty perfect to me. Also, how much input delay is added when using a strobed backlight say at 120hz compared to 240hz non-strobed.