Help picking monitor

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
jtrizzy

Help picking monitor

Post by jtrizzy » 11 Jun 2020, 23:51

After a few months I've been kind of disappointed by the motion handling of the LG C9 with games, and have been researching all of the various technologies to try and better understand what is irking me. I think what I really want for a TV is 60 or 120hz BFI, but without the big reduction in brightness, but I'm not sure if the CX provides this or not? I had a C8, and remember finding some settings at 60hz and tweaking the various motion settings that was pleasing. I know true motion kills the brightness, but I really want more clarity when panning the camera in games. Is that also what seems to add artifacting around the character?

Seems I just need to get a gaming monitor, because clearly I am sensitive to this. Maybe it's because I PC gamed on Panasonic plasmas for so many years, and I guess OLED will just never compete in this area because it's sample and hold? I play mostly games like RDR2, single player games that already use most of my 2080's resources...Nothing competitive. I guess I'm not seeing the point of higher refresh rates and G-Sync, when you still get so much motion blur.

It's a great tv, but it seems like a gaming monitor with ULMB or the like is my best bet. I'd love a curved 1440p ultrawide, 120hz, g-sync, ULMB, HDR1000 screen...but I guess then I'm sacrificing black levels and picture quality compared to OLED?

I have to buy a monitor soon, to use for with a gaming with a GTX 2080, and productivity with 13" 2018 MBP for work if anyone has a recommendation.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Help picking monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jun 2020, 00:12

Be noted that most curved screens have fairly slow pixel response (VA panels, with more GtG ghosting), which affects strobe quality via strobe crosstalk. But for casual gaming, they can be pretty good and colorful, and also better for movies too.

Also, technically instead of a strobe mode, one can also now use sheer refresh rate (240fps at 240Hz, or 360fps at 360Hz) as the motion blur reduction technique instead of ULMB too -- because double refresh rate halves motion blur. 120fps has half the motion blur of 60fps, and 240fps has quarter the motion blur of 60fps (on non-strobed). However, such high frame rates is currently difficult to do with current GPUs for now.

If you want bright strobing, you'll want a very good voltage-boosted strobe backlight mode, which are more commonly found in 25" 1080p but some brands (e.g. BenQ DyAc).

You could pay extra and pay for one of those 4K 144Hz G-SYNC HDR locally-dimmed screens (found in the G-SYNC monitor list), those cost 4-figures though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!