Microstuttering AOC Q27G2U

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Taskota

Microstuttering AOC Q27G2U

Post by Taskota » 01 Jul 2020, 14:48

Hello,

I'm facing an issue with a new Q27G2U monitor, and there is no solution so far.
Happens in music software and in the following video I tried to recreate the issue.
The explanation goes as follows.
Dragging the window with the waveform creates dark artifacts.
This is not happening at the upper waveform since it has minor black outlines, so less contrast.
Also moving the green panel seems to generate dark flickering.

I think its called micro stuttering but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to know the effect's call.

phpBB [video]

Using DP1.2 (RX580 /i7-9700K) I'm totally sure it's the monitor's error.
Tried Motion Blur Reduction, 60-100-120-144hz, v-sync on-off, different brightness, with no luck.

Could anybody address the reasons? or if it's just the way those panels work?

Thank you for your time.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Microstuttering AOC Q27G2U

Post by RealNC » 01 Jul 2020, 16:42

"Boldening" of lines is an overdrive artifact. You can go into the monitor's OSD and find the "overdrive" setting. Sometimes it's called "response time". Usually you can set it to low, medium, high, etc. Try lowering that setting. I had an AOC monitor that did exactly the same thing at refresh rates higher than 60Hz. It goes away when lowering or even disabling the overdrive setting.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Taskota

Post by Taskota » 01 Jul 2020, 17:02

Unfortunately is happening in every overdrive step, off-weak-medium-strong-boost.
I can not find any setting able to solve that issue.

Thanks for naming it and for the fast reply.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Jul 2020, 17:28

If the monitor has a setting to turn freesync off, try that. Maybe the overdrive setting behaves differently with freesync off vs on.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Taskota

Post by Taskota » 01 Jul 2020, 18:06

I tried with and without sync. The overdrive results are the same. It is frustrating that no option can get rid of that annoying thing.
It's weird that happening only in dark textures.

I dont know if my Q27G2U has the exact same panel as CQ27G2U, but if so, im struggling to understand why this monitor is being suggested that much while having these obvious issues.

If any other solution available please let me know.
Thank you so far

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jul 2020, 18:21

Do you have frameskipping?

www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Jul 2020, 19:15

Taskota wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 18:06
I dont know if my Q27G2U has the exact same panel as CQ27G2U, but if so, im struggling to understand why this monitor is being suggested that much while having these obvious issues.
In the case of the AOC that I had purchased, what happened was that AOC was sending review units to outlets that had overdrive disabled for refresh rates higher than 60Hz. As a result, reviewers were not seeing this artifact. In the units available in stores however, overdrive was enabled, resulting in this behavior.

What happens if you switch to 60Hz? Just as a test. Does the issue go away then, and does changing the overdrive setting have a more visible effect?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 18:21
Do you have frameskipping?

www.testufo.com/frameskipping
No, this is a motion artifact. The OP just didn't know what it was. The video shows "fattening" or "boldening" of lines that have a high contrast during motion.

Taskota

Post by Taskota » 02 Jul 2020, 11:54

There is no frameskipping. I found that boosting "Shadow Control" reduces the effect and almost eliminating it. But this is causing washed colors and contrast. By attempting to re-balance with Gamma or Contrast the image quality is still poor. As I understand it, above a certain amount of contrast the "Boldening" appears, no matter what.

Here is a video:
phpBB [video]

My normal calibrated settings are Gamma1, Shadows 50, Contrast 50.
Trying with: Gamma3, Shadows 70

I think I'm going to check for another monitor at this price range, asap.
Any suggestions are very welcome

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2020, 12:09

Taskota wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 11:54
I think I'm going to check for another monitor at this price range, asap.
Any suggestions are very welcome
It could also be theoretically OS X compositor too. Apple is behind the times in high-Hz progress (except for 120Hz iPads).

Have you tested a Windows laptop?

Does the problems disappear when you connect a non-Mac laptop, or reboot in Boot Camp?

If it does, then the blame is on Apple. I enjoy Apple products for some uses, but it's a known issue of MacOS on some machines.

Some APIs will go smooth (e.g. 3D graphics in full screen) but that other apps, may stutter because they were assuming a 60Hz clock.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Taskota

Post by Taskota » 02 Jul 2020, 14:48

Maybe, I have to test it out.

In the meantime, I'm searching for a replacement since the return period is limited.
Lost by the enormous number of available monitors and features.
Does anybody know if ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD has this kind of issue?
Any other monitor suggestion would be much appreciated.