Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Post Reply
MST
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Jan 2019, 04:35

Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by MST » 02 Aug 2020, 14:18

Hi people.

Today I tested an mg248qr with ELMB and was surprised to find out the panel works great with it enabled even as low as 85hz.
There was a bit of ghosting but definitile better than the blur that it would have at that refresh rate without ELMB enabled.

I tested a 75 hz IPS about 1-2 years ago and I was appaled how bad it was. Crosstalk and ghosting like crazy. Sent it back.
I still don't know why it was like that, but my best best is that the panel response time of 5 ms was too slow for strobing at that refresh rate.

Now, I'm in the market again for such a monitor, but this time i'll go for a TN 1 ms. I think that's my best bet for good BFI at low refresh rate.

Can anyone suggest the best value monitor of this description? I wouldn't want to go past 200 euros unless it something really special. Keep in mind that I can't really keep my games steady at 100 fps. 85-90 is quite common(with a few moments even lower) and I don't want to invest in a cpu and video card yet.

Please offer suggestions. I'd prefer a 27 inch but might be over budget so 24 is also ok.

UPDATE: I found a benq XL2720T unboxed, last in stock at our best retail store. It will arrive tomorrow.
I read some things on these forums about having to adjust settings for it to work well.
In preparation for tomorrow, could anyone offer some advice?
Maybe links to the resources so I don't miss any? Or anything else that you think might help.
I am really scared I won't be happy with it, the reviews bash it quite heavily for the washed colors and low brightness when LMB is enabled. Also some mentions of crosstalk?
Anyone can ease my stress?

User avatar
AddictFPS
Posts: 192
Joined: 15 Jan 2020, 14:13

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by AddictFPS » 02 Aug 2020, 23:45

Seems that BenQ/Zowie XL2746S can't single strobe under 100Hz, therefore the best monitor to fit your goal seems Viewsonic Elite XG270, BlurBusters Approved, single strobe range 75-240Hz.

elexor
Posts: 41
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by elexor » 03 Aug 2020, 01:37

How is crosstalk at 75hz on the xg270? non existent? reason i ask is it might give me a glimpse of what the crosstalk will be like once we finally get a 60hz strobe on those monitors.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7892
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2020, 15:35

MST wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 14:18
UPDATE: I found a benq XL2720T unboxed, last in stock at our best retail store. It will arrive tomorrow.
I read some things on these forums about having to adjust settings for it to work well.
Just a heads up: The T model only supports LightBoost, and only at 100Hz and 120Hz.

However, it might be a hidden gem in that its sister 24" model successfully overclocked to over 260 Hz using the BenQ overclocking HOWTO.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

User avatar
AddictFPS
Posts: 192
Joined: 15 Jan 2020, 14:13

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by AddictFPS » 04 Aug 2020, 01:01

elexor wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:37
How is crosstalk at 75hz on the xg270? non existent? reason i ask is it might give me a glimpse of what the crosstalk will be like once we finally get a 60hz strobe on those monitors.
I also interested.

Moreover, i think the next BlurBusters Approved monitor will be 27" IPS 1080p 360Hz 600nits, with the new +50% scanout speed, and +50% brightness for enjoy agressive strobe modes not so dimm, for sure Chief can do 50-100Hz free of crosstalk, i have all my hopes here to replace my CRT monitor ;)

Sure some delicious is cooking in BlurBusters Lab ! :D

elexor
Posts: 41
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by elexor » 04 Aug 2020, 03:13

I hope so. we can get damn near close enough to crt motion without all the negatives of a crt.

MST
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Jan 2019, 04:35

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by MST » 04 Aug 2020, 08:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:35
MST wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 14:18
UPDATE: I found a benq XL2720T unboxed, last in stock at our best retail store. It will arrive tomorrow.
I read some things on these forums about having to adjust settings for it to work well.
Just a heads up: The T model only supports LightBoost, and only at 100Hz and 120Hz.

However, it might be a hidden gem in that its sister 24" model successfully overclocked to over 260 Hz using the BenQ overclocking HOWTO.
OH NO! I thought I read it can go as low as 60 hz. Maybe I didn't look close enough and it wasn't the T model.
I guess I'll have to return it :(
Also what's wrong with Lightboost? Should I go for a better tech?
I tried mg248qr at a friend's house at 85hz and I was so impressed! But that one is nowhere to be found in stocks anymore.
Can you recommend anything around that price range at the same quality? Can be 24-27 inch, I guess in the end I don't care that much.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7892
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Aug 2020, 16:41

MST wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 08:59
Also what's wrong with Lightboost? Should I go for a better tech?
LightBoost was the first really good motion blur reduction technology (strobe backlight) for desktop gaming monitors.

It was originally invented for 3D Vision but most people used it instead for motion blur reduction. It helped launch Blur Busters' fame almost a decade ago, the LightBoost HOWTO found on Blur Busters. Even today, googling "LightBoost" goes straight to Blur Busters.

However, today, LightBoost is very old, so it's poorer colors & more laggy than newer strobe backlight technologies. There is a list of brand names of motion blur reduction technologies in the FAQ.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

MST
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Jan 2019, 04:35

Re: Was surprised how good BFI was on 85hz today on some monitors

Post by MST » 04 Aug 2020, 18:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 16:41
MST wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 08:59
Also what's wrong with Lightboost? Should I go for a better tech?
LightBoost was the first really good motion blur reduction technology (strobe backlight) for desktop gaming monitors.

It was originally invented for 3D Vision but most people used it instead for motion blur reduction. It helped launch Blur Busters' fame almost a decade ago, the LightBoost HOWTO found on Blur Busters. Even today, googling "LightBoost" goes straight to Blur Busters.

However, today, LightBoost is very old, so it's poorer colors & more laggy than newer strobe backlight technologies. There is a list of brand names of motion blur reduction technologies in the FAQ.
Thank you. I'm going to return the XL2720T.
Hey can you tell me if VG278QF can do ELMB at 85hz? The manual for the monitor is very confusing.
I saw on youtube that VG278Q does support ELMB 85hz but I don't want to make the mistake that I did with XL2720T thinking a very similar model is the same.
Maybe in the end I should get the XL2411P?

Post Reply