Lightboost Color Profile & NVIDIA Settings Not Interacting?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Gwyndael

Lightboost Color Profile & NVIDIA Settings Not Interacting?

Post by Gwyndael » 31 Aug 2020, 10:11

Hi Blurbusters forum,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong board or if this has been brought up before. I am hoping you'll be able to help me with my Asus VG248QE.

I recently found out about reducing motion blur with the aid of Lightboost after being diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines and knowing that severe motion blur in games were an issue. I am so impressed and thankful for the ToastyX Easy Lightboost app that I found on here as it has greatly helped with this issue.

As many have noted, the Asus VG248QE doesn't handle colors particularly well, especially with Lightboost, so in a quest to help improve them I amended the NVIDIA Control Panel settings to the ones recommended in the BlurBusters FAQ, and also installed this color profile from BlurBusters user Razorless. The color profile has done wonders for fixing the purple tint, however the end result is still a bit washed out and I don't think that the color profile and the NVIDIA settings are working together.

Is there a way to get them to do this so that I can get some of the richness back in the color; or do they simply not work together?

Ideally I'd like to get a new monitor as I'm aware mine is very outdated, but unfortunately funds do not allow for this at the moment so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Lightboost Color Profile & NVIDIA Settings Not Interacting?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2020, 15:59

LightBoost is a very old strobed technology. If you want better colors in a strobed monitor, you may wish to buy a more modern panel such as a Blur Busters Approved monitor, Blur Busters Approved. The 240Hz 1ms IPS panels are great for 75Hz-120Hz strobing, for example.

There are rather severe limitations on how much LightBoost can be further improved.

If you want to try to improve further, buy a Spyder or i1 and calibrate the color automatically. But that's a cost.

Alternatively, try adjusting NVIDIA Control Panel based on the Lagom Contrast screen. It's a lot of work trying to get all the squares to show while maximizing darkness of black, and brightness of white, if you're not familiar with calibrating by eye, but if you practice with it for an hour or two, you may get the hang of getting it.

Also, even if you can't improve colors, you can improve motion even further (getting TestUFO smoothness in games) -- to improve motion quality to the maximum, you want to make sure your framerate matches your refresh rate (framerate=Hz). If one of your games can't run at 120fps, you could switch to LightBoost 100Hz to get 100fps at 100Hz. There are a wide variety of low-lag VSYNC ON tricks to reduce the microstuttering/jittering effect that becomes more visible during motion blur reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Gwyndael

Re: Lightboost Color Profile & NVIDIA Settings Not Interacting?

Post by Gwyndael » 06 Nov 2020, 21:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:59
LightBoost is a very old strobed technology. If you want better colors in a strobed monitor, you may wish to buy a more modern panel such as a Blur Busters Approved monitor, Blur Busters Approved. The 240Hz 1ms IPS panels are great for 75Hz-120Hz strobing, for example.

There are rather severe limitations on how much LightBoost can be further improved.

If you want to try to improve further, buy a Spyder or i1 and calibrate the color automatically. But that's a cost.

Alternatively, try adjusting NVIDIA Control Panel based on the Lagom Contrast screen. It's a lot of work trying to get all the squares to show while maximizing darkness of black, and brightness of white, if you're not familiar with calibrating by eye, but if you practice with it for an hour or two, you may get the hang of getting it.

Also, even if you can't improve colors, you can improve motion even further (getting TestUFO smoothness in games) -- to improve motion quality to the maximum, you want to make sure your framerate matches your refresh rate (framerate=Hz). If one of your games can't run at 120fps, you could switch to LightBoost 100Hz to get 100fps at 100Hz. There are a wide variety of low-lag VSYNC ON tricks to reduce the microstuttering/jittering effect that becomes more visible during motion blur reduction.
Apologies for the massive delay in response, Chief. Life got in the way.

Thank you so much for your advice. I see someone posted an existing thread with a follow-up I have so I'll post my next query there to keep things concise :)