How good is DyAc?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SebasOver

How good is DyAc?

Post by SebasOver » 27 Sep 2020, 22:52

Well I pretty much know what each of those do. I play Fortnite and in endgames my fps drops to 120, I used to have a 240hz GSync Monitor (Acer XF250Q), but even with GSync activated I still noticed stuttering (At any frame other than 240 or near), why tf? Also I noticed a LOT of input lag in endgames when my fps dropped to 120. Now I want to buy a new monitor and I'm considering the Zowie XL2546 speacially because the DyAc technology. I know DyAc works with 100hz above so I know I'll enjoy DyAc 100%.
Now I don't know if GSync actually worth it. I mean I know that without GSync supposedly I'll see stuttering when my fps variate from 240, but even with GSync (with my experience) I saw stuttering and felt input lag and I'm really frustrated because of that. So what's the point? If at the end I'll have input lag and stuttering even with GSync I prefer having at least no input lag but stuttering buying the XL2546. (with DyAc)
I would be grateful if someone told me about their experience with DyAc or with this monitor and especially with Fortnite. Worth it? Do you have more or less input lag?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How good is DyAc?

Post by RealNC » 28 Sep 2020, 07:54

SebasOver wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 22:52
even with GSync activated I still noticed stuttering (At any frame other than 240 or near), why tf?
Because gsync prevents FPS/Hz mismatch stutter, not game stutter. This is easy to see if you cap the game to 100FPS for example. Without g-sync, you will see judder in motion. With g-sync, you won't. If the frametime graph is smooth, g-sync will have smooth motion. If it has abrupt spikes, g-sync can't do anything about them.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SebasOver

Post by SebasOver » 28 Sep 2020, 20:20

RealNC wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 07:54
SebasOver wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 22:52
even with GSync activated I still noticed stuttering (At any frame other than 240 or near), why tf?
Because gsync prevents FPS/Hz mismatch stutter, not game stutter. This is easy to see if you cap the game to 100FPS for example. Without g-sync, you will see judder in motion. With g-sync, you won't. If the frametime graph is smooth, g-sync will have smooth motion. If it has abrupt spikes, g-sync can't do anything about them.
Mmm I understand, but GSync is supposed to have LFC right? Do you mean thist tech just helps with ''judder in motion''? I thought it would help to see a clearer and smoother image (without stutter), do you think there's a lot of difference without GSync on a 240hz monitor?

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 29 Sep 2020, 18:37

when it comes to fortnite and STACKED endgames (im talking 30-40+ player man moving zones in scrims and tournaments etc) the server will lag as well, from having to do all those calculations on all the players and builds in such a small circle,

that is a big reason for the delay you feel and how bad it feels in those situations, no matter if you have a rtx 3090 and i9 10900k the situation is the same (as you can see on any streamer with those specs, like benjyfishy for example who has a 10900k/rtx 3080, still drops to ~120 fps in super stacked endgames now)

you can mitigate the bad feeling with great hardware of course but you will always feel those drops in your mouse no matter what, until epic games can optimize the game / engine to handle those endgame scenarios more efficiently, or perhaps invest in stronger server hardware but since they are using amazon AWS services idk if amazon would have to upgrade on their end and so on..

just my 2 cents

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Sep 2020, 16:27

SebasOver wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 20:20
Mmm I understand, but GSync is supposed to have LFC right?
Yeah. Native g-sync always does LFC, and I believe nvidia has an official list of g-sync compatible monitors where it states whether or not they can do LFC.
Do you mean thist tech just helps with ''judder in motion''? I thought it would help to see a clearer and smoother image (without stutter), do you think there's a lot of difference without GSync on a 240hz monitor?
Less than with 144Hz, but there is still judder without g-sync even with 240Hz. I haven't seen 240Hz myself yet, so I don't know how noticeable it is, but it is there. At 240Hz, fps/hz mismatch results in frame times that are sometimes 4.2ms, sometimes 8.3ms, which does sound like it should be noticeable.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.