List of Game Fixes; Get Games to work at 120Hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SisterBob

List of Game Fixes; Get Games to work at 120Hz

Post by SisterBob » 28 Dec 2013, 09:21

Ok, so this is the official thread for getting games to work properly above 60fps, particularly with LightBoost activated, but any 120Hz+ gaming issues would fit here. I'll get the ball rolling with the fixes I've implemented with a few games. Any other submissions will be added to this post once a fix is discovered.

Games listed in alphabetical order:

Dark Souls
First things first: go download the latest version of DSfix. Without it, you're stuck playing Dark Souls capped at 30fps and 720p internal rendering. In DSfix, you can set the game to play at 60fps but, due to limitations in the port, it doesn't seem possible to run any higher than that. Even playing at 60fps introduces some detection issues anyway, so I'd be nervous about 120fps.

However, it is still possible to get the game running with LightBoost by going to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini and modifying the 13th line from RefreshRate = 30 or 60 to RefreshRate = 120.

PayDay 2
First, be sure to go into the video options in the game's main menu and set the fps cap to 120. Then find renderer_settings.xml in your C:\Users\[Your User Name Here]\AppData\Local\PAYDAY 2 directory. Look for refresh_rate = "XX" (the number in quotes for me was, strangely, 50) and set the value to 120.

Sleeping Dogs
Chief Blur Buster Mark came up with this fix which is a bit more involved than the others, but works like a charm. Either download the ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility or, as I did, use NVIDIA's Custom Resoution options to create a custom resolution with these settings: 1920x1079 @ 120Hz ONLY -- LightBoost mode -- Vertical Total of 1147.

Then, when you start up Sleeping Dogs, choose the resolution you've just created for a lightboost-friendly 120fps. This fix is mostly relevant to people using the LightBoost hack on a 144Hz monitor.
Last edited by SisterBob on 29 Dec 2013, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: List of Game Fixes; Get Games to work at 120Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2013, 16:15

Good thread to start!
As a note to readers, make sure to first Set up LightBoost and test a common game (all source engine games easily run with LightBoost motion blur elimination) before working on these stubborn games that often refuse to run with 120Hz LightBoost.

Popular Generic 24/7 LightBoost Tip -- One popular method for people who prefer to run LightBoost 24/7, is to simply re-run ToastyX strobelight-setup.exe and install only ONE strobed mode (enable only one checkbox, clear all other checkboxes). You'll be unable to turn off LightBoost, but then it becomes much easier to run games with LightBoost enabled. To turn off LightBoost again, re-run strobelight-setup and install the non-LightBoost modes. If you don't have strobelight installed anymore, and don't want LightBoost, just unplug your monitor power for 5 seconds to turn off LightBoost. The other method is the 1920x1079 resolution (one pixel less than 1080), as an always-LightBoosted resolution.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 28 Dec 2013, 17:02

SisterBob wrote:Dark Souls
First things first: go download the latest version of DSfix. Without it, you're stuck playing Dark Souls capped at 30fps and 720p internal rendering. In DSfix, you can set the game to play at 60fps but, due to limitations in the port, it doesn't seem possible to run any higher than that. Even playing at 60fps introduces some detection issues anyway, so I'd be nervous about 120fps.

However, it is still possible to get the game running with LightBoost by going to C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini and modifying the 13th line from RefreshRate = 30 or 60 to RefreshRate = 120.
In fact, it IS possible. I play that game at 75Hz and 75fps (in case you ask, they are 75 real fps, without stutters or drops or repeats, so I suppose 120fps are doable). There is a line in DSfix.ini that controls the max fps, and another one that lets you choose the monitor frequency. So, that last thing you said about the AppData folder is not necessary.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

SisterBob

Post by SisterBob » 29 Dec 2013, 09:32

masterotaku wrote:
SisterBob wrote:Dark Souls

In fact, it IS possible. I play that game at 75Hz and 75fps (in case you ask, they are 75 real fps, without stutters or drops or repeats, so I suppose 120fps are doable). There is a line in DSfix.ini that controls the max fps, and another one that lets you choose the monitor frequency. So, that last thing you said about the AppData folder is not necessary.
Wow, that's odd. I set it in DSfix to run higher than 60fps, but it seemed like it was still being held back there. Maybe I should play around with it more.

The line about app data is necessary more for getting the game to play nice with lightboost. Even with DSfix set to 120fps, Dark Souls was disabling lightboost every time I started the game.