Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
thatoneguy

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by thatoneguy » 06 Feb 2021, 23:54

JDnoob wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:14
You don't need 1000 nits on the 100% window for a 1000 nit strobe.
You do if you want the brightest scenes to be 1ms persistence too. Like not every scene will be 100 nits in SDR material but the scenes that are you absolutely need around 1600-1700 nits for scenes that reach peak 100 nit if you wanna see them at 1ms MPRT 60hz(1000 nits would be needed for 1.7ms or so).
If you're ok with the brightest scenes/elements of the screen being more blurry then that's another thing but if you want full-range 1ms(as in every scene no matter how bright/dark, no matter what color it's displaying etc. the blur is the exact same) then you need about 1600-1700nits for 60hz.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something(in which case Chief is free to correct me) the brighter the scene/element/pixel on a screen the more nits you need to replicate the same(intended) brightness at a lower MPRT vs darker scenes which would require less brightness.

SaberEdge

Post by SaberEdge » 14 Jun 2021, 18:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 16:11
elexor wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 08:14
Not horrible, I need to see how bad the brightness loss is in person 4ms persistence is perfect for up scaled 240p retro gaming. But I think 4ms is not enough for super crisp high def motion. sure beats sample and hold tho.
All of the CX series is currently the gold standard in TV-sized strobing. Cleaner motion and less motion blur than even a Pioneer Plasma HDTV! With zero strobe crosstalk.

4ms MPRT allows strobed 60Hz (1/240sec frame flashes) to have the motion clarity of 240Hz nonstrobed (1/240sec frame visibility time), in a TV sized form factor.

The Medium setting is indeed b0Яk3d as a double strobe, presumably as a flicker-reduction priority over motion-reduction priority. Most users of BFI would prefer flicker reduction, so it's strange. They could have added multiple settings like "Low, Medium, High, Double Strobe" so people can choose preferred priority (double strobe versus blur reduction). But let's be nice to LG, they brought out something that finally beat a plasma HDTV. Which we can rejoice about; plasma finally being dethroned in motion clarity! Let's hope C11 is even better...

The motion blur is still noticeable in HD motion, but it's currently the best we've got at these screen sizes at the moment in direct-view flat panel TVs at consumer prices.
Hi, Chief. Sorry to respond to an old post, but I'm curious about what you said there. Does this mean that the Pioneer plasma TVs had clearer motion than Panasonic and other brands?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2021, 19:59

SaberEdge wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 18:31
Hi, Chief. Sorry to respond to an old post, but I'm curious about what you said there. Does this mean that the Pioneer plasma TVs had clearer motion than Panasonic and other brands?
Both Pioneer and Panasonic were pretty good plasma TV brands. The videophile models were really good.

However, all plasmas had worse motion handling than CRT tubes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors