Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
mdzapeer

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by mdzapeer » 05 Feb 2022, 13:27

Not sure if this a thread necro, but I got the XG270 from viewsonic, the blur reduction is amazing at high refresh rates, chief did not give out the 'Blur Busters Approved' logo lightly. Its very disappointing it does not have the 60hz single strobe option, also having it be 1440p or 4k would have been great too, 1080p on 27inch in this day and age is a big ask for regular blur free non-Esport gaming. Growing up gaming on a CRT has been a curse it seems.

Chief mentioned they are working with a big monitor manufacturer for 60hz strobing, any news on that?

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 07 Mar 2022, 13:21

With Elden Ring out and capped at 60fps, how is everyone playing this game?

Personally I am playing it a LG TV which has a single strobe option at 60hz, otherwise I am playing it with vrr on my monitor. But prefer the 60hz strobing option as its overall much more clearer in motion. We really do need some more good 60hz single strobing options for monitors beyond 1080p, and its unlikely the new alienware QD-OLED screen will have that option.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 27 Apr 2022, 17:34

Any news on upcoming 60hz single strobing options?

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 15 May 2022, 05:00

Here's something to note with single strobe 60Hz and wide gamut KSF panels specifically. Red ghosting becomes too aggressive at such low refresh rates. So beware. KSF-free panel is required to not have these issues.

This is M32Q single strobing at 60Hz (inside bugged vrr strobing mode)
IMG_20220512_225341.jpg
IMG_20220512_225341.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 10045 times
Overdrive OFF, aim stabilizer at middle screen, 960pps
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

DeFierro

Post by DeFierro » 16 May 2022, 23:10

Discorz wrote:
15 May 2022, 05:00
Here's something to note with single strobe 60Hz and wide gamut KSF panels specifically. Red ghosting becomes too aggressive at such low refresh rates. So beware. KSF-free panel is required to not have these issues.
Does the M32Q need some additional software or firmware update to do 60hz single strobe? I'm thinking on this one for a new arcade machine project with Retroarch. I thought that monitor did only strobe at higher refresh rates. How's the crosstalk? Crosstalk on the XG2431 looks sweet, but it's sadly too small to my liking. If I'm not mistaken the Eve Spectrum also has a red ghosting.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 17 May 2022, 01:19

DeFierro wrote:
16 May 2022, 23:10
Does the M32Q need some additional software or firmware update to do 60hz single strobe? I'm thinking on this one for a new arcade machine project with Retroarch. I thought that monitor did only strobe at higher refresh rates. How's the crosstalk? Crosstalk on the XG2431 looks sweet, but it's sadly too small to my liking. If I'm not mistaken the Eve Spectrum also has a red ghosting.
I can't recommend using this bugged mode. It's too dark (~100 nits), it flickers if frame rate varies, it naturally flickers due to low 60Hz refresh rate, and the ksf decay is distracting. Scaler doesn't allow large VT mod like XG2431 so crosstalk isn't great either. I also can't guarantee this bug will work for everyone.

M32Q 60Hz single strobe crosstalk
IMG_20220517_221225_3.jpg
IMG_20220517_221225_3.jpg (4.61 MiB) Viewed 9928 times
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 May 2022, 17:36

Discorz wrote:
17 May 2022, 01:19
I can't recommend using this bugged mode. It's too dark (~100 nits), it flickers if frame rate varies, it naturally flickers due to low 60Hz refresh rate, and the ksf decay is distracting. Scaler doesn't allow large VT mod like XG2431 so crosstalk isn't great either. I also can't guarantee this bug will work for everyone.

M32Q 60Hz single strobe crosstalk
IMG_20220517_221225_3.jpg
Have you tried a ToastyX DisplayID extension block to try to swap Front Porch and Back Porch (use ultralarge Front Porch versus ultralarge Back Porch), to see if it artificially shifts the crosstalk?

Some displays keys the strobe flash based on the location of the VBI boundaries (e.g. the boundary between Sync and Front Porch, or the boundary between Sync and Back Porch). Those models can have strobe crosstalk tricked to shift simply by moving the ultralarge value to a different section of the VBI (porch or sync).

This will not work if the strobe flash is keyed to the beginning or end of the visible resolution, it only works on models whose strobe flash is keyed on one of the boundaries between two different VBI areas.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 18 May 2022, 12:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 May 2022, 17:36
Have you tried a ToastyX DisplayID extension block to try to swap Front Porch and Back Porch (use ultralarge Front Porch versus ultralarge Back Porch), to see if it artificially shifts the crosstalk?

Some displays keys the strobe flash based on the location of the VBI boundaries (e.g. the boundary between Sync and Front Porch, or the boundary between Sync and Back Porch). Those models can have strobe crosstalk tricked to shift simply by moving the ultralarge value to a different section of the VBI (porch or sync).

This will not work if the strobe flash is keyed to the beginning or end of the visible resolution, it only works on models whose strobe flash is keyed on one of the boundaries between two different VBI areas.
No matter what combination I do it doesn't shift crosstalk. Changes do get applied as amd panel reports. I assume its keyed to beginning or end of resolution.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2022, 13:16

Discorz wrote:
18 May 2022, 12:52
No matter what combination I do it doesn't shift crosstalk. Changes do get applied as amd panel reports. I assume its keyed to beginning or end of resolution.
Ah, yeah, no strobe-phase hacks seem available externally.

Thanks for trying, though!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 28 May 2022, 06:32

tl;dr:
Oculus Quest 2's chineese knock off Pico Neo 3 enters Europe and probably other markets soon.
Since it's in general a better option for PC VR users, I am wondering if it could be a good single strobe option too, just like Quest 2 is.
Does it even support 60Hz? Does it allow to change the refreshrate freely? Is it working well? Is the moving objects clarity as good as Quest 2?

Some info what it is:
First of all, It's 450€, but has DisplayPort connection, equivalent of elite strap (so it isn't uncomfordable as standard Quest 2) and has the link cable included in the box. Sure, it's Chineese with all the cons it brings in, but it doesn't require you to login to Facebook (surely Chineese driver software has the spying side of it covered already ;))
The chip inside is the same XR2 as in Quest 2. Slightly higher clocked, likely to compensate for the advantages Quest 2 has from its polished software stack. The initial reviews suggest it's a surprisingly good option. The headset was previously sold only in China, where it gained substantial popularity.