Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
thatoneguy

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by thatoneguy » 06 Feb 2021, 23:54

JDnoob wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:14
You don't need 1000 nits on the 100% window for a 1000 nit strobe.
You do if you want the brightest scenes to be 1ms persistence too. Like not every scene will be 100 nits in SDR material but the scenes that are you absolutely need around 1600-1700 nits for scenes that reach peak 100 nit if you wanna see them at 1ms MPRT 60hz(1000 nits would be needed for 1.7ms or so).
If you're ok with the brightest scenes/elements of the screen being more blurry then that's another thing but if you want full-range 1ms(as in every scene no matter how bright/dark, no matter what color it's displaying etc. the blur is the exact same) then you need about 1600-1700nits for 60hz.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something(in which case Chief is free to correct me) the brighter the scene/element/pixel on a screen the more nits you need to replicate the same(intended) brightness at a lower MPRT vs darker scenes which would require less brightness.

SaberEdge

Post by SaberEdge » 14 Jun 2021, 18:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 16:11
elexor wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 08:14
Not horrible, I need to see how bad the brightness loss is in person 4ms persistence is perfect for up scaled 240p retro gaming. But I think 4ms is not enough for super crisp high def motion. sure beats sample and hold tho.
All of the CX series is currently the gold standard in TV-sized strobing. Cleaner motion and less motion blur than even a Pioneer Plasma HDTV! With zero strobe crosstalk.

4ms MPRT allows strobed 60Hz (1/240sec frame flashes) to have the motion clarity of 240Hz nonstrobed (1/240sec frame visibility time), in a TV sized form factor.

The Medium setting is indeed b0Яk3d as a double strobe, presumably as a flicker-reduction priority over motion-reduction priority. Most users of BFI would prefer flicker reduction, so it's strange. They could have added multiple settings like "Low, Medium, High, Double Strobe" so people can choose preferred priority (double strobe versus blur reduction). But let's be nice to LG, they brought out something that finally beat a plasma HDTV. Which we can rejoice about; plasma finally being dethroned in motion clarity! Let's hope C11 is even better...

The motion blur is still noticeable in HD motion, but it's currently the best we've got at these screen sizes at the moment in direct-view flat panel TVs at consumer prices.
Hi, Chief. Sorry to respond to an old post, but I'm curious about what you said there. Does this mean that the Pioneer plasma TVs had clearer motion than Panasonic and other brands?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2021, 19:59

SaberEdge wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 18:31
Hi, Chief. Sorry to respond to an old post, but I'm curious about what you said there. Does this mean that the Pioneer plasma TVs had clearer motion than Panasonic and other brands?
Both Pioneer and Panasonic were pretty good plasma TV brands. The videophile models were really good.

However, all plasmas had worse motion handling than CRT tubes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

JDnoob

Post by JDnoob » 17 Aug 2021, 00:57

Has anybody recently used 60hz-single-strobing on oculus quest 2 via virtual desktop?

I'm wondering if a recent update has broken something or if it's not so realistic to achieve perfect frame pacing. I get unpredictable but persistent micro-stuttering every few seconds and sometimes in bursts on all settings with test-ufo and in flat screen PC games/emulators. I have tried 3 different gaming PC's, 3 different 60hz displays, and 3 different routers (one of which was wifi 6 and recommended by the VD developer(Asus RT-AX55)).

I'm a noob to VR but it appears a few things have changed since this thread started. The patch seems no longer needed or even available on SideQuest. Virtual Desktop from the oculus quest store simply comes with 60hz-single-strobing and the capability to play PC-VR games built-in.

Another interesting point is it seems that virtual desktop for quest 2 can only be used wirelessly contrary to what the chief said? The version from the oculus quest store by definition is the wireless version as per the virtual desktop website: https://www.vrdesktop.net/. The wired version of VD on steam is separate and outdated. This is frustrating as I cannot be sure exactly if the stuttering is an internet issue or another software issue as there is no wired option for 60hz single-strobing. There is no predictable pattern to the stuttering and it happens equally if in demanding game or at desktop.

Looking for someone to confirm they can get it stutter free with the latest version of VD and quest 2?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2021, 01:08

Hmmm. Try the Virtual Desktop extra latency modes to smooth things around.

I seem to recall that SideQuest also has a toggle to force system-wide single strobe 60 Hz even in the Oculus Home, that might solve certain problems for certain apps. I'm not 100% sure. It's useful for sideloaded Android apps.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

JDnoob

Post by JDnoob » 17 Aug 2021, 17:50

I have looked into system wide 60hz-single-strobing and you are very much correct!

One must make their Facebook/oculus account a developer enabled account and then options to enable developer mode will appear on the headset and the oculus app.

SideQuest software on PC will now be able to detect when the oculus quest 2 is connected via a link cable. Once connected, you can click on the wrench in the top right corner and force a system wide refresh rate change which stays in effect until the quest is rebooted.
Screenshot 2021-08-17 154831.png
Screenshot 2021-08-17 154831.png (354.81 KiB) Viewed 13942 times
I believe this can also be done on Android wirelessly with SideQuest app for switching refresh rate more conveniently without PC.

This allows you to play 60hz games/emulators as well as those that can be side-loaded with 60hz-single-stobing all with no PC. This seems most useful for watching twitch and YouTube 60fps gaming content in zero-motion-blur fashion. Totally portable 60hz CRT-style motion blur without the need for a computer because it is system-wide for the quest 2.

Unfortunately, there seems to be stutter problems here too. Watching 60fps videos in oculus browser produces the least problems. YouTube VR and Firefox stutter badly (interestingly, YouTube VR has a 60hz mode to save battery in the app without the need for sidequest, but stutter is bad).

Setting the system-wide refresh rate to 60hz does not help stutter in virtual desktop unfortunately.

How recently have you tried Quest 2 60hz though VD or system-wide? There might be some systemic causes of the stuttering issues across these different mediums relating to a software update or something.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 24 Aug 2021, 16:57

Please clarify. The stutter is present everywhere?
If so, I have to ask others who use Quest 2 here. Please tell me if perfect motion clarity at 60Hz is achievable on Quest 2.
Urgent question, as Quest 2 128GB versions might not last long in stock. Thanks in advance.

JDnoob

Post by JDnoob » 24 Aug 2021, 19:56

I have not done sufficient testing to eliminate all variables as I have been very busy but the stuttering is present to a minor-moderate degree with 60fps videos in oculus browser and to a moderate-major degree in virtual desktop. The headset does not stutter when running beat saber at 60fps or other games/menus for the most part.

We need someone that uses virtual desktop on the quest 2 to do a UFO test and let us know if its stutter free on the latest software versions.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 25 Aug 2021, 06:11

Thanks for the response.
minor to moderate
Unfortunately I'm a purist, I need perfect motion or I get angry :mrgreen: .
Pardon me asking layman's question here, but I didn't use virtual desktops yet. If I understand correctly, it means every emulator I'd like to use, would be affected as it would go through this virtual desktop, right?
I don't care that much for browsers, but 60fps videos and games are very important to me. Also, 3D Vision games through HelixVision, hopefully.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Aug 2021, 20:06

BTW,

Brand New 60 Hz Single Strobe Monitors In 2021 With Near Zero Crosstalk

For people wanting to reduce strobe crosstalk even further with the new 60Hz single strobe monitors (ViewSonic XG2431 and Eve Spectrum 4K144), follow the Quick Frame Transport HOWTO.

HOWTO: Quick Frame Transport (QFT) - Large Vertical Totals (reduce lag, reduce crosstalk)[/size]