Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 8336
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2020, 22:05

RonsonPL wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 21:12
PS. Chief. The PM I sent you. I would've appreciated a response even if the answer is no. Meanwhile first 120fps games are being tested on consoles and sadly I see "up to 120Hz" popping up, which scares me, as I want to use strobed mode for all my gaming and strobed + sync is not yet a viable option for me. 100-110fps would be basically useless in my eyes. We need the game devs to be aware single strobed gaming is a thing so they don't spoil the glorious 120Hz mode with "up to" or lack of motion blur toggle options.
Just re-looked at the PM; I get too many messages so PMs are mainly for forum emergencies and alerting me of forum problems. I prefer people post publicly in the forums to get an answer, because I can teach 100 people with 1 reply. This is why I vastly prefer to reply publicly than to reply to PMs. :)
_________________

Yes, we need to improve the situation.

My approach to developers is "Hz futureproofing", HOWTO: Please Future Proof your Game Engine (Even if stuck on 60Hz Monitor), like what I did in helping the Cloudpunk developer Unity Developers: Easy G-SYNC & FreeSync Support in only 3 lines of programming code. As long as a developer works hard to follow this stuff, the game automatically becomes more strobe-compatible while being universal (strobe compatible, VSYNC ON compatible, VSYNC OFF compatible, any-Hz compatible, etc).

I tend to prefer strobeless blur reduction over strobed blur reduction (Method #2 of the CRT Nirvana Guide for Dissapointed CRT-to-LCD Upgraders. 1000fps@1000Hz looks more beautiful than ULMB, and just as blurless. Which is why I would like to help the industry closer to that dream. That said, it is a big problem that strobing is not well utilized by many games and developers.

BTW, some of these forum threads may become Blur Busters articles. A lot of mainstream Blur Busters articles are often incubated from some famous forum threads.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

elexor
Posts: 52
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by elexor » 17 Nov 2020, 23:29

Oh I wasn't aware of this thread. my hacked singlestrobed zowie has zero crosstalk band, its at that 99% sweet spot where you can't really see any crosstalk at all without getting really close to the screen.

I hope these new official monitors can achieve that. the ksf phosphor thing worries me. Once you experience extremely high quality strobing you don't want to go back to crosstalky picture. I have compared my display to a 60hz crt and i think the crt has more artifacts from the phospher decay then the lcd.

I love singlestrobe it makes 60hz games look smooth and clearer then 240fps/hz sample and hold. I have been exposing myself to singlestrobe for a long time now and i think you can definitely build up a tolerance for it.

btw chief with 60hz strobing i can't seem to see all the white alignment bars on my camera i only see 2 at one time. Still tried do the pursuit camera photo as best as i can and it looks just like what i see in person.

Image
All parts of the screen are the same no band. the clarity is amazing modern sidescrolling games look absolutely beautiful on it and smoooth.

Angel Soler
Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Apr 2020, 17:49

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by Angel Soler » 18 Nov 2020, 01:19

elexor wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 23:29
Oh I wasn't aware of this thread. my hacked singlestrobed zowie has zero crosstalk band, its at that 99% sweet spot where you can't really see any crosstalk at all without getting really close to the screen.

I hope these new official monitors can achieve that. the ksf phosphor thing worries me. Once you experience extremely high quality strobing you don't want to go back to crosstalky picture. I have compared my display to a 60hz crt and i think the crt has more artifacts from the phospher decay then the lcd.

I love singlestrobe it makes 60hz games look smooth and clearer then 240fps/hz sample and hold. I have been exposing myself to singlestrobe for a long time now and i think you can definitely build up a tolerance for it.

btw chief with 60hz strobing i can't seem to see all the white alignment bars on my camera i only see 2 at one time. Still tried do the pursuit camera photo as best as i can and it looks just like what i see in person.

Image
All parts of the screen are the same no band. the clarity is amazing modern sidescrolling games look absolutely beautiful on it and smoooth.
Which is your monitor? Please 😃

elexor
Posts: 52
Joined: 07 Jan 2020, 04:53

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by elexor » 18 Nov 2020, 02:02

XL2540 with a hacked backlight

Angel Soler
Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Apr 2020, 17:49

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by Angel Soler » 18 Nov 2020, 02:22

elexor wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:02
XL2540 with a hacked backlight
ahhh The Frankestein Monitor :)

Incredible!! Congratulations!! :)

Imposible for me hahahaha

Thank you for respond me :)

User avatar
AddictFPS
Posts: 240
Joined: 15 Jan 2020, 14:13

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by AddictFPS » 18 Nov 2020, 14:08

New Benq Zowie should have unlocked single strobe 48-240, the same range of VRR. The motion quality of 240Hz monitors with single strobe 60p content is amazing, fullscreen artifacts free, without blur ;) Thank you so much for share pursuit video elexor, you made reality what some of us we thought can be technicaly possible. Please BenQ, add this feature.

Link to elexor mod: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7520

This is optionaly only for people than prefer flicker over blur in capped framerate content. Current strobing already makes these monitors non flicker free, no matter a bit more of flicker, is user decission. Technicaly "Eye Care" feature is disabled one time strobing DyAc+ is On, so please unlock !

Now 60p content on Zowie only have two options, double strobed (dizziness double image) or tons of motion blur, i prefer flicker and perfect focus image, like with CRT. Zowie 240Hz also single strobe very decently 100Hz without backlight hack, low crosstalk, good brightness level, almost flicker free. Pursuit video in XL2746S thread.

Lets hope BenQ reconsider implementing it, very interesting for Consoles, PC Emulators like MAME, PC 60p locked games, 60p video streaming (sports, racing), Europe 50p streaming. We want 240Hz and more for eSports games, but at the same time, if is possible, not lose the ability of move capped framerate content without blur, like allways we have done with CRT.

Angel Soler
Posts: 26
Joined: 14 Apr 2020, 17:49

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by Angel Soler » 18 Nov 2020, 15:12

AddictFPS wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 14:08
New Benq Zowie should have unlocked single strobe 48-240, the same range of VRR. The motion quality of 240Hz monitors with single strobe 60p content is amazing, fullscreen artifacts free, without blur ;) Thank you so much for share pursuit video elexor, you made reality what some of us we thought can be technicaly possible. Please BenQ, add this feature.

Link to elexor mod: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7520

This is optionaly only for people than prefer flicker over blur in capped framerate content. Current strobing already makes these monitors non flicker free, no matter a bit more of flicker, is user decission. Technicaly "Eye Care" feature is disabled one time strobing DyAc+ is On, so please unlock !

Now 60p content on Zowie only have two options, double strobed (dizziness double image) or tons of motion blur, i prefer flicker and perfect focus image, like with CRT. Zowie 240Hz also single strobe very decently 100Hz without backlight hack, low crosstalk, good brightness level, almost flicker free. Pursuit video in XL2746S thread.

Lets hope BenQ reconsider implementing it, very interesting for Consoles, PC Emulators like MAME, PC 60p locked games, 60p video streaming (sports, racing), Europe 50p streaming. We want 240Hz and more for eSports games, but at the same time, if is possible, not lose the ability of move capped framerate content without blur, like allways we have done with CRT.
I totally agree!!! ☺️💪

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 8336
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Nov 2020, 16:14

elexor wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 02:02
XL2540 with a hacked backlight
Great addition to this thread!

Almost any monitor can be hardware-hacked by an experienced electronics hobbyist to do 60Hz single strobe -- in theory one can use an external circuit (including Arduino compatible microcontrollers) to take over driving the backlight, to add strobe capabilities. Basically, snip the backlight controller trigger from the monitor motherboard, and wire it to your own external backlight trigger controller, so your electronics have 100% control over the backlight pulsing. In theory, it can be as simple as a GPIO line from an Ardino controlling the existing backlight controller's transistor gate to turn on/off the monitor backlight. But it depends on how the monitor implements the backlight pulsing.

Theoretically, VRR strobing could be added externally, with some DIY experimentation of VRR strobing algorithms.

But it would be better for monitor manufacturers do do the 1-line firmware code modification, so users don't need to hack monitors to enable 60Hz single-strobe.

Sixty Years of Legacy 60fps Content <-- This is Why We Need 60hz Single Strobe

Some people call 60Hz single strobe a "step backwards", but they neglect to understand the need for legacy material;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

pacman
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Nov 2020, 13:42

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by pacman » 18 Nov 2020, 16:58

elexor wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 23:29
I have been exposing myself to singlestrobe for a long time now and i think you can definitely build up a tolerance for it.
I have been playing some games in RetroArch combining BFI + 120 Hz single strobing and it is tolerable. I'd definitely use 60 Hz single strobing with modern games as well.
elexor wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 23:29
I hope these new official monitors can achieve that. the ksf phosphor thing worries me.
Regarding the KSF phosphor, I have found out that the AOC AG273QXP (nano IPS panel) can strobe at 75 Hz (single?):
MBR.png
MBR.png (34.25 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Hardware Unboxed made a review of this monitor but unfortunately they only tested the MBR at 165 Hz. I wonder if this AOC is crosstalk free at 75 Hz and how distracting the red phosphor decay is in absence of crosstalk. Perhaps we'll find out in another review.

GammaLyrae
Posts: 56
Joined: 28 Mar 2018, 01:44

Re: Good News Everyone: 60Hz Single Strobe Options

Post by GammaLyrae » 18 Nov 2020, 17:30

I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's only useful for legacy content, so long as console games continue to target or lock to 60fps, we are going to have games that perform best or only behave correctly if they are played at 60hz. 60hz strobing is an essential feature and I hope it is rolled into blur busters certification, and applied retroactively to currently certified displays (xg270 only as of this post)

Post Reply