Strobelight not working on Source Engine

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
UncleK

Strobelight not working on Source Engine

Post by UncleK » 07 Dec 2020, 17:10

I have a VG248QE monitor and I have just installed strobelight. It looks great and the blur reduction is very noticeable on TestUFO. However, when I open TF2 or CSGO the screen turns black for a moment and the screen is very clearly not strobing anymore. When I back out to the desktop it automatically turns back on.

I've tried limiting it to 120hz with Nvidia control panel and it didn't help. Am I missing something or does it just not like these games?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Strobelight not working on Source Engine

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2020, 19:25

UncleK wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:10
I have a VG248QE monitor and I have just installed strobelight. It looks great and the blur reduction is very noticeable on TestUFO. However, when I open TF2 or CSGO the screen turns black for a moment and the screen is very clearly not strobing anymore. When I back out to the desktop it automatically turns back on.

I've tried limiting it to 120hz with Nvidia control panel and it didn't help. Am I missing something or does it just not like these games?
(P.S. Please post only once -- you posted 3 times.)

This is because TF2 and CS:GO switches the refresh rate. You need to configure the refresh rate, because Strobelight uses 120Hz versus 121Hz to turn on/off LightBoost.

Command line option -freq 120 or -freq 121 depending on whether you want strobing or not, since Strobelight uses 2 refresh rates (one that strobes, another that doesn't strobe)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!