persistence wont stay (brightness)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
thisisblane

persistence wont stay (brightness)

Post by thisisblane » 17 Dec 2020, 23:02

i have two dual zowie monitors. xl2546k. I run blur busters and make it as bright as possible with persistence. It stays bright but then sometime after it turns off. Im not sure what gets rid of it but it doesn't last. How do i get it to stay bright? It reverts back to 10. I always have it at 1.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: persistence wont stay (brightness)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2020, 23:59

thisisblane wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 23:02
i have two dual zowie monitors. xl2546k. I run blur busters and make it as bright as possible with persistence. It stays bright but then sometime after it turns off. Im not sure what gets rid of it but it doesn't last. How do i get it to stay bright? It reverts back to 10. I always have it at 1.
The BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 series is one of the few that uses a voltage-boosted strobe backlight that intentionally overvoltages your LEDs to keep DyAc+ almost as bright as non-strobed. This is how it manages to maintain 300-400 nits brightness in DyAc+ operation.

What this means is you shouldn't brighten your persistence much above factory defaults in this specific case. You may be overvoltage-boosting your strobe backlight at the brightest persistence setting. The monitor might be shutting down the backlight to prevent damage to your backlight LEDs. Try a few notches lower instead.

BenQ should have limited the range of the strobe pulse length DDC command, to prevent this -- but if longer pulse widths during voltage-boosted operation is occuring, then there may be an issue. However, the good news is that BenQ has an overheat-shutoff operation, which is triggering to protect your monitor from damage.

Disclaimer: We hereby disclaim any possible damage to your monitor backlight. You should not push DyAc+ brighter than non-strobed (DyAc OFF). Try turning ON/OFF DyAc+. If your DyAc+ is brighter than non-strobed, then you're overvoltaging your strobe backlight too much -- if you have a colorimeter and it measures >400 nits, you need to lower your Persistence setting in the Factory Menu or Strobe Utility.

(as far as I know, this also happens with BenQ's service menu too. Please test that, and let me know if it has the same adjustment range as Strobe Utility)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

thisisblane

Re: persistence wont stay (brightness)

Post by thisisblane » 19 Dec 2020, 04:25

strobe utility lets me brighten both my monitors brighter than any of the monitor settings allow but it just doesn't stay. I think you are right in that it brings it down because maybe its too high. When I remove dyac premium it gets darker.