Eizo FG2421 -- [Turbo240 is EIZO equivalent of lightboost]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Eizo FG2421 -- [Turbo240 is EIZO equivalent of lightboos

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 02:08

MonarchX wrote:FG2421 does not force 120Hz. It can run @ 120Hz, 100Hz, and even 60Hz in Turbo/light-strobing mode. I tried using 60Hz with light-strobing mode, and it was far better than any normal 60Hz LCD in terms of clarity, BUT even having consistent Turbo 60Hz and 60FPS at all times did not come close to having Turbo 120Hz (240Hz) even at sub-120FPS in terms of clarity.
That's because it double-strobes at 60Hz (two strobe flashes per refresh cycle). So you are getting 120 dominant strobe flashes per second at 60Hz. It's like playing at 60fps on a 120Hz CRT -- you are getting a double-image effect.

The EIZO FG2421 single-strobes nicely during 105Hz-122Hz (use Custom Resolution). It double-strobes at 60Hz and 100Hz, creating a double image effect at http://www.testufo.com/photo

Only the BENQ Z-Series (Version 2) gets equivalent motion clarity at 60fps@60Hz as it does at 120fps@120Hz, due to the proper single-strobing. Mind you, the flicker is a lot worse (60 strobes per second flickers a lot more than 120 strobes per second) even if the motion clarity becomes excellent.

The FG2421 is one of my favourite strobed monitors, if you're focussed on brightness and color quality in strobe mode. I used it to play Bioshock Infinite.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 02:15

flood wrote:
MonarchX wrote: I know Chief will disagree with me, but today's high-end plasma TV's motion is still clearer @ 60Hz than LightBoost @ 120Hz 10%. I can't explain it, but I tested VG248QE and F5350 next to each other and tracking fast-moving objects on plasma was MUCH easier, although not as easy as on a CRT.
would be interesting to investigate this further with a high speed camera.
perhaps it's related to the TV's motion interpolation?
-- Yes, there are some really low-persistence plasmas that do motion handling better than LightBoost 10% does -- I acknowledge they exist. On a strictly "pass the TestUFO Panning Map Readability Test" basis (1440 pixels/sec and faster) there's several plasmas that perform worse than LightBoost 10% does. But there are those plasmas with excellent motion handling.
-- Interpolation is used on some plasmas to help things along some, but I'm not sure if interpolation was enabled during this test.
-- Also, LightBoost 10% is so dark, while plasmas are really bright. So it is easier to track eyes on a very bright 4ms persistence display than a very dim 1ms persistence display.

Make sure framerate==refreshrate when you test motion on impulse displays, because tracking 60fps@60Hz is much easier than tracking 113fps@120Hz or 135fps@120Hz (due to microstutter affecting tracking accuracy). Comparing motion blur of different refresh rates is an apples-versus-oranges crapshoot if you don't verify perfect sync between framerate and refreshrate. If you're wanting to compare motion blur of divergent-refresh-rate displays, make sure your plasma is running at exactly 60fps@60Hz (VSYNC ON, no framerate drops), while making sure your LightBoost display is running at exactly 120fps@120Hz (VSYNC ON, no framerate drops).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 10 Jun 2014, 18:50

I remember you mentioning that @ 60Hz, FG2421 double-strobes. Doesn't it also double-strobe @ 120/240Hz? That is the reason why it isn't as nice & clear as LightBoost @ 10%, isn't it? Some people actually complained the method of backlight strobing this monitor uses is very old and rather crappy in comparison to LightBoost, but I can't tell the difference..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2014, 18:24

MonarchX wrote:I remember you mentioning that @ 60Hz, FG2421 double-strobes. Doesn't it also double-strobe @ 120/240Hz? That is the reason why it isn't as nice & clear as LightBoost @ 10%, isn't it? Some people actually complained the method of backlight strobing this monitor uses is very old and rather crappy in comparison to LightBoost, but I can't tell the difference..
That's true, though it's one dominant strobe (2.3ms) and one faint strobe (<0.5ms). It is not noticeable in most gameplay, but you can see it occur when you view www.testufo.com/ghosting -- as a fainter double-image effect trailing a few pixels behind.

Interpreted that way, the FG2421 quadruple-strobes at 60Hz (two dominant visible strobes, and two faint strobes). That, on the other hand, looks annoying (view the 60fps object at www.testufo.com on an FG2421, and you'll see it has a double-image effect)

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 12 Jun 2014, 17:20

Hey chief, when is the review for the Eizo going to be up?

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 13 Jun 2014, 01:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
MonarchX wrote:I remember you mentioning that @ 60Hz, FG2421 double-strobes. Doesn't it also double-strobe @ 120/240Hz? That is the reason why it isn't as nice & clear as LightBoost @ 10%, isn't it? Some people actually complained the method of backlight strobing this monitor uses is very old and rather crappy in comparison to LightBoost, but I can't tell the difference..
That's true, though it's one dominant strobe (2.3ms) and one faint strobe (<0.5ms). It is not noticeable in most gameplay, but you can see it occur when you view http://www.testufo.com/ghosting -- as a fainter double-image effect trailing a few pixels behind.

Interpreted that way, the FG2421 quadruple-strobes at 60Hz (two dominant visible strobes, and two faint strobes). That, on the other hand, looks annoying (view the 60fps object at http://www.testufo.com on an FG2421, and you'll see it has a double-image effect)
Does that mean that 60fps @ 120Hz also quadruple-strobes like that? 60Hz test sure was annoying, but 120Hz one looked great to me - very clear, not as clear as LightBoost, but nothing to worry about in actual games.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2014, 22:59

MonarchX wrote:Does that mean that 60fps @ 120Hz also quadruple-strobes like that?
It's visually effectively a double-strobe, as the two other strobes are too weak to be noticeable in most material. But I wanted to clear up the confusion by what is meant by 60Hz double strobing (double image effect). If the quadruple strobe was full intensity for all of them it would have been a quadruple-image effect rather than a double-image effect.

Krogoth

Post by Krogoth » 03 Jul 2014, 06:45

Does anyone have a link to the Blur Busters review of the Eizo FG2421? I'm having trouble deciding if I should purchase one or wait for the AOC g2460Pg since I'm still gaming on an old HP LP2465.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 06 Jul 2014, 02:10

I don't believe Mark ever found time to put it together but I could be wrong

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Krogoth

Post by Krogoth » 07 Jul 2014, 11:41

Thanks Black Octagon. Grabbed an FG2421 a couple of days ago and I'm satisified so far :)