Has image persistence been fixed yet?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
equalvision87

Has image persistence been fixed yet?

Post by equalvision87 » 05 Jan 2021, 12:53

Hello everyone. This is a community I already feel like a part of because I relate to it so well. A quick story if you will suffer it:
In 2010, I bought my FIRST laptop computer. I was away from home, was going to be for a long while and did not have my normal gaming rig (or my crt monitor. known only as a "monitor" at the time) . I was very excited! I have never had a laptop before and was excited by the prospect of being able to game in the kitchen, or on the couch. Neato! So I get the thing, set the thing up, and quickly install Half Life 2. Withing 20 seconds of playing however, I noticed something was wrong with the screen. I couldn't focus on any single point on the screen while the image was in motion... it was painful and confusing. Literally. My eyes physically hurt; I couldn't understand what was happening. I thought that maybe I had gotten a laptop with a defective screen. I returned it and swapped it for another one. The same thing. Then, I saw the same thing happened on my friends fancy new LCD computer monitor. I did not understand. Surely my friends brand new $500 lcd monitor and TWO laptops that I tried couldn't all be defective. The odds seemed too high to be true. So I took to the internet. Lo and behold, I learned that this was a fundamental flaw in the fancy new lcd technology that was being embraced by everyone. I did not understand why. Why would companies sell gaming laptops and gaming monitors that made it MORE difficult to game? If the purpose of a video game or a movie is to watch a single point in a motion image move from point A to point B, then why would engineers make it so that it is physically impossible for a human being to actually watch a single point in a motion image move from point A to point B. Its like designing automobile breaks that don't actually stop the car. Isn't the whole point of vehicle brakes, um, to stop the car? I was so confused. Anyway, long story short, I have not been able to really enjoy any first person shooters or even third person games since July of 2010. By the time I got home, my old crt monitor was toast and they no longer sold any crt monitors on amazon or newegg. After a few years I slowly learned how to compensate and live with the image persistence blur, but its taken a certain degree of enjoyable-ness out of every game I have played since that time. Basically, I have not been able to fully enjoy any game since 2010, very sad. I can only play for about 30 minutes before my eyes can't take it anymore from the physical pain of my eye muscles twitching back and forth between the two images that are always displayed on an lcd screen at any given time. So ya, Has this all been fixed yet? Is there a monitor that exists that has solved the image persistence thing yet? Are there any companies that still manufacture crt monitors? I still have at least 40 years of gaming ahead of me and the few crt monitors left on ebay these days probably won't last that long. I would really like to be able to enjoy video games again before I die, lol. I just can't believe that this is still a problem in modern screens. I have two flat screen, new out of the box CRT monitors I got off ebay, which I hope will last me the next 40 years, unless I find another gem like these on ebay again, but every day makes that less likely. Is the ULMB as good as a crt? and why aren't there any ULMB monitors that are a normal size with normal pixel pitch? Whats the point of a 27" 1080p monitor? You can see every pixel and textures look pixelated instead of sharp. Why are there no 19" 1080p ulmb monitors? Isn't the point of a higher resolution so that the image is more sharp and clear? Wouldn't making the screen bigger, but keeping the resolution the same make the image on screen just as un-sharp and un-clear as the same image on a smaller, lower-resolution monitor? Are the people making these engineering decisions stupid or something? What is going on? Thanks for hearing my woes. The only monitor that I can find that might fit the mold is the Dell S2417DG. High resolution, low pixel pitch AND ulmb technology. The ironic thing though... there doesn't exist any computer hardware powerful enough to play a game at 2560x1440 resolution at full FPS (full fps needed for ULMB to work). LOL, Its like a big joke or something. The whole industry. And none of it had to happen because CRT monitors worked perfectly fine. Can anyone enlighten me? or have I pretty much hit the nail on the head as to the current state of computer monitors right now? stuck between a rock and a hard place.

AddictFPS

Re: Has image persistence been fixed yet?

Post by AddictFPS » 09 Jan 2021, 14:52

Still playing with 21" CRT 1600x1200 100Hz, i hate motion blur (what you describe as persistence).

There are currently some LCD strobing 100Hz, level where flicker dissappears, than fix motion blur very good (almost CRT), Viewsonic XG270, BenQ XL2746S XL2546K, maybe others also. But there are still a bit of crosstalk, and brightness is low, especialy with the Viewsonic with Ultra setting, where the main motion blur battle takes place. Another limitation is than strobing add a bit of input lag, due to slow response time need to be hided.

Waiting a big improvement in pixel speed (GtG) and brightness, to finaly remove from my table the X-Ray machine.

Is a nightmare, entrenched with my fat and ugly 2004 CRT, because still handle fast motion a bit better than modern ones. And praying that it doesn't break.

Try these amazing LCD if CRT die and not find another, maybe they convince you, they do a good job, you can see motion pursuit videos. Currently still not exist QHD 240Hz strobing 100Hz as good as the models FHD 240Hz i typed above. But this year maybe arrive.

21" 130KHz H-Sync CRT at 100Hz = Max resolution 1600x1200 0.252mm, so i also not want step back to 0.31mm of FHD 27". If i set 1280x960 125Hz i have this same pixel size, and i don't like to much.