Upgraded PC; Motion Blur makes same old games unplayable.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
NeedAdvice

Re: Upgraded PC; Motion Blur makes same old games unplayable.

Post by NeedAdvice » 01 Mar 2021, 16:57

I had a question about motion blur relating to which oled panel I should buy. I read on this website that more resolution = more motion blur. But I also know that not playing in native resolution causes aliasing and other artifacts. This is where my dilemma comes into play. Look at this video discussing upcoming LG oled panels.

phpBB [video]

Since the majority of ps5 games in the future will be native 4k will it be better to buy the 1080p oled at 120hz for less motion blur? Is my idea even correct? And if I try to play native 4k games on a 1080p tv will there be artifacts since it's not native? I need help deciding if I should wait or buy the lg 48 inch oled right now.

NeedAdvice

Post by NeedAdvice » 01 Mar 2021, 18:20

Oh yea one more question. Does black frame insertion actually reduce the chance of burn in for oled TV's since the screen is darker for longer periods of time?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2021, 18:35

NeedAdvice wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 18:20
Oh yea one more question. Does black frame insertion actually reduce the chance of burn in for oled TV's since the screen is darker for longer periods of time?
For OLEDs specifically, generally, yes.

That said, there's a caveat though -- the screen might be boosted brighter for the shorter time period to compensate for the long off period. So the true answer is "it depends" on how the OLED does BFI.

For LG OLEDs (CX and earlier at least), BFI does appear to extend the life of the OLEDs, but other common sense tips would be to do things like enabling autohide for the Windows taskbar. And if you play one game all the time, you may find it favourable to have a key/mouse toggle to hide/show the HUD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NeedAdvice

Post by NeedAdvice » 01 Mar 2021, 19:17

The reason why I made this account was because I saw the CRT talk at Neogaf but I couldn't make an account there. I saw a picture of you teaching or presenting information to ,I'm assuming, engineers or people in the display industry. Have you ever though about recording those lectures and putting them on YouTube? I would definitely watch it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2021, 20:49

NeedAdvice wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 19:17
The reason why I made this account was because I saw the CRT talk at Neogaf but I couldn't make an account there. I saw a picture of you teaching or presenting information to ,I'm assuming, engineers or people in the display industry. Have you ever though about recording those lectures and putting them on YouTube? I would definitely watch it.
Thanks!

These are private classes that vendors pay to understand motion blur concepts -- and the manufacturers don't want me to record these.

However, in the long-term I might consider creating some YouTube stuff in a private location -- this is being considered for the long term.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

resurrection20

Post by resurrection20 » 02 Mar 2021, 18:31

Just a bump— will the video I linked work to answer your questions?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Mar 2021, 01:29

resurrection20 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 18:31
Just a bump— will the video I linked work to answer your questions?
What question?

It you want to learn why "higher resolution amplifies visibility of motion blur" -- motion blur is over physical distance, but you have more pixels over the same physical distance because of higher DPI.

See thread Why Does Higher Resolutions Make Display Motion Blur Easier To See? to understand the science & physics better.

You will have to make your decision based on your priorities based on this knowledge.

TL;DR: For low-resolution versus high-resolution display at same physical panning velocity -- motion blur is physical-distance unchanged. However, there's more pixel density to motion blur over. This results in a bigger difference between the clarity of stationary images, versus the clarity of moving images.

resurrection20

Post by resurrection20 » 08 Mar 2021, 21:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 01:07
Now if you want to share a photo of UFOs, please do either or both of these methods, if you want me to help you diagnose:

1. Pursuit Camera Method: Photography Version of Moving Eye Gaze On Moving Objects
If you are trying to share a photograph of what you see with a moving-eye, you need a moving-camera. See Hand Wave Smartphone Pursuit Camera Instructions, wave your phone while videoing www.testufo.com/ghosting .... Some of the frames will have a fairly clear Sync Track ladder captured into certain freeze frames. Upload the best freeze frame, or simply share the video (so I can choose the best freeze frame. YouTube single-frame step can be done via the "," and "." keys)
So I linked a video on the previous page of the thread (got hidden behind the OLED discussion) using the pursuit camera method (which was kind of fun to do), but I wasn't sure if the quality of my cell phone was good enough to actually be useful to you. I did single frame steps. I think this might be the best one. I'll re-include the video, too. These little aliens are starting to feel like old friends...
blur_busters_test_freeze.jpg
blur_busters_test_freeze.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 7976 times
phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2021, 05:05

resurrection20 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 21:13
So I linked a video on the previous page of the thread (got hidden behind the OLED discussion) using the pursuit camera method (which was kind of fun to do), but I wasn't sure if the quality of my cell phone was good enough to actually be useful to you. I did single frame steps. I think this might be the best one. I'll re-include the video, too. These little aliens are starting to feel like old friends...
It's still a bit blurry.

One trick is to tap-and-hold the screen while pointing it stationary with the test temporarily paused (or focussing at the stationary "READY." text below, or something as dark as the TestUFO ghosting), at the focus distance you plan to use. This locks the autofocus so it doesn't keep defocussing with autofocus blurring. It's a huge timesaver -- saves a lot of time and fewer attempts.

chaksur

Post by chaksur » 29 Dec 2021, 04:46

I've never even heard of a single-monitor mode, so I will look into that. I only have the one monitor connected.
I have done the clean install of Windows with a fresh driver.