Upgraded PC; Motion Blur makes same old games unplayable.

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Upgraded PC; Motion Blur makes same old games unplayable.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Dec 2021, 13:30

You are already in single monitor mode if you only have one monitor connected.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

akylen

Post by akylen » 08 Jan 2022, 10:48

resurrection20 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 14:41
Hi all,

TL;DR, I upgraded from an Intel Core Quad system to a Ryzen 5 3000 system and now there's so much motion blur that my games make me throw up.

I've been building my own gaming PC's (at a slow upgrade pace) for 17 years now.

About a year and a three months ago (where does time go? I keep getting distracted from truly solving this problem), I went from this [feel free to laugh, but please keep it to yourself :) ]:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 GB OCZ Fatal1ty
ASUS P5QPro MoBo
Geforce GTX 1050 with G-Sync (which I've heard some people describe as a "boat anchor" but I've had good luck with it.)
Dell E2215HV (some budget office monitor with a single VGA connection)

To this:
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB G. Skill RAM
MSI B450M Gaming Plus MoBo
And I kept my GTX1050 with the plan to upgrade it sooner rather than later to an ATI card (I just seem to have better luck with those and it will be more compatible with my AMD FreeSync monitor?) next time there are some sales, but with the latest data mining craze, I think I'm going to be stuck with it for awhile.
Scepter M25 (E255B-1658A-25) LED TN Monitor. Advertised: 1MS G-to-G, 165 Hz, Anti-Flicker, Pixel Overdrive mode and FreeSync.

The first thing I did upon upgrade was load up some of my old favorites to see just how they'd look with graphics cranked: Spintires/Mudrunner, Farming Simulator 17, Tomb Raider, Railway Empire, Tropico 5, Pillars of Eternity, WW1 Verdun Western Front, Valiant Hearts: The Great War (to see what 2D looked like).

These should be pretty big clues as to what sort of gamer I am and also that my graphical standards are pretty low.

Immediately I noticed that due to LCD blur all of these old games were unplayable. I tried playing them with far lower settings than my antique Intel setup and still no joy.

One of my main questions is, how can a major computer upgrade on all fronts create so much motion blur? If the blur exists now, it should have definitely existed before? By all rights, running all my games at higher FPS on a higher refresh rate monitor should be an improvement? Why could a game look just fine on my old setup, but be a blurry mess on my new one?

One theory I had based on the below posts is that the Ryzen 5/Zen 2 refuses to play well with my Nvidia graphics card?

I tried to do my research and not necro any old threads. My question is, I believe, related to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7033&p=52619&hilit ... 2619]post.

A viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7033&p=52619&hilit ... lowup post to that includes this quote with my emphasis: "We can keep our heads stuck in the sand and pretend that latency doesn't exist, or we can acknowledge the problem and finally begin to address it. As latency becomes more of a problem nowadays than ever (Windows 10, Ryzen, game developers buffering frames to boost FPS instead of properly optimizing games, bloated electron garbage "software," etc.), more and more people are waking up to the latency question and are questioning why their old and less powerful systems were noticeably more responsive than their brand new systems (quad core Intel owners upgrading to Ryzen systems being a notable example)."

Okay, now here's where I'm at. I don't 100 percent understand what's happening in this older thread and I don't know if it directly translates to motion blur.

I had an aging Intel Quad Core CPU and an antique junky Dell office LED-backlit LCD panel that ran over a VGA connection. To be honest, I gamed on that for quite a few years and was content. Not blown away, but never was like "this sux." I never once had a noticeable issue with motion blur. I'm not flush with cash, so I upgrade on sales and in a piecemeal manner. I had an ATI card, but it crapped out on me, so I decided to give Nvidia a try and got a decent upgrade and was content. Then, I caught some more sales and decided it was time to bite the bullet and an entirely new system, so I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3000 series with a new motherboard and RAM to match, obviously, but kept my Nvidia graphics card and the same old monitor. Immediately I noticed that any motion whatsoever made me sick to my stomach. Games were unplayable. Even scrolling down a simple webpage in a browser, would cause my eyes to hurt and give me a headache as everything became a blurry mess with even the slightest bump of the scrollwheel.

So I did a lot of research (on a laptop so I could actually read without throwing up) and decided that to match my new admittedly humble system's "power," I had better get something that at least claims to be fancy-schmancy gaming monitor (Scepter E255B-1658A-25). It wasn't on the Blurbusters list of best gaming monitors, but it had good reviews and I could afford it (that part is key). So, it's LED, has 1ms response time, it's 165hz, it's got an pixel overdrive mode and some anti-flicker backlight thingy. Finally, it has Freesync so I can use the G-Sync of my Nvidia card. I also went from VGA to DP. And to be honest, it did make a little difference. G-Sync is unusable, the motion blur is worse than without it. Using a web browser is doable, but only if the overdrive mode is on and it's set to 165hz. Still not as smooth as my antique Dell monitor on my old system. Games are "playable" now, but too much motion forces me to either let my eyes go out of focus until the movement is over or look away from the screen. Obviously, this makes any game with a lot of action or any competition absolutely unplayable. The character standing still every few seconds so he can actually see what he's shooting at (and even then, only shoot at things that aren't moving too quickly) is a pretty easy target. What finally got me up in arms about all this is trying to replay a 20-plus-year-old game: Baldur's Gate II. Scrolling around the map is a blurry pixelated mess that looks like, honestly, a pile of fresh sick and makes me want to produce one. I took my new computer innards out and replaced them with my old Intel setup. Zero noticeable motion blur in any game on either my old monitor or my brand new one. Now, it isn't powerful enough to play my newest games, but the ones that ran on both were infinitely better looking on the older system. I borrowed a friends Asus gaming monitor and my new system was still terrible to play on. I also tested all three monitors on an ancient AMD A8/Radeon 8550G laptop with the ancient games it could play and had acceptable results. I took both of my monitors to his house and they worked just fine on his gaming system. We also swapped graphics cards and the business was the exact same: My card works fine in his system and his looks like trash in mine. Both cards work just fine on my old Intel setup. I also tried a variety of cables, including HDMI and DVI and even adapters for VGA. The only caveat is that my buddy only has an Nvidia card for testing and I don't know anyone with an ATI card to test if it's some sort of architecture compatibility problem.

So, I know for sure these components are good:
Monitors.
Graphics cards.
DP/HDMI/DVI/VGA Cables.
Ancient Intel setup.

I know for sure where the problem originates:
Ryzen 5 3000 series CPU
New motherboard?
New Ram?

Now, the reason I'm creating this TL;DR post is because I've tried all the easy stuff:
I use the latest build of Windows 10 with all updates.
Graphics drivers are up to date.
I don't have any weird or unnecessary software installed or running in the background.
I've turned off Windows gaming mode and the xbox bloatware junk that's on by default.
I've turned off full screen optimization.
Turned the graphics all the way down on my test games so they're running at a super high frame rate even if they look hideous.
(And before you ask, yes I turn off motion blur in games and some of my test games don't even have it.)

I don't want to have to try to upgrade to a 240Hz monitor because I'm not certain that would fix this problem. I don't want to upgrade my perfectly good graphics card and I don't want to upgrade out of this new Ryzen system and buy a new Intel one, because I can't afford to do so. And to be honest, it feels like a waste to have all this hardware and not even really have played any games on it. I can toss out the DXDiag if you guys think it will help.

I basically want to do whatever it takes to play games again. If I have to get in the registry to turn a bunch of stuff off, disable cores, run some software or use an older driver. I'll do whatever. I miss games. A lot.

I don't need this PC for anything but gaming, so it doesn't have to be capable of doing anything else.

*le sigh*

Thanks for reading.
Any news ?

resurrection20

Post by resurrection20 » 13 Jan 2022, 13:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 05:05
resurrection20 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 21:13
So I linked a video on the previous page of the thread (got hidden behind the OLED discussion) using the pursuit camera method (which was kind of fun to do), but I wasn't sure if the quality of my cell phone was good enough to actually be useful to you. I did single frame steps. I think this might be the best one. I'll re-include the video, too. These little aliens are starting to feel like old friends...
It's still a bit blurry.

One trick is to tap-and-hold the screen while pointing it stationary with the test temporarily paused (or focussing at the stationary "READY." text below, or something as dark as the TestUFO ghosting), at the focus distance you plan to use. This locks the autofocus so it doesn't keep defocussing with autofocus blurring. It's a huge timesaver -- saves a lot of time and fewer attempts.
Is this an iPhone or droid trick? After I get it focused, then do I start the pursuit test?

resurrection20

Post by resurrection20 » 13 Jan 2022, 13:27

akylen wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 10:48
resurrection20 wrote:
Hi all,

TL;DR, I upgraded from an Intel Core Quad system to a Ryzen 5 3000 system and now there's so much motion blur that my games make me throw up.

I've been building my own gaming PC's (at a slow upgrade pace) for 17 years now.

About a year and a three months ago (where does time go? I keep getting distracted from truly solving this problem), I went from this [feel free to laugh, but please keep it to yourself :) ]:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 GB OCZ Fatal1ty
ASUS P5QPro MoBo
Geforce GTX 1050 with G-Sync (which I've heard some people describe as a "boat anchor" but I've had good luck with it.)
Dell E2215HV (some budget office monitor with a single VGA connection)

To this:
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB G. Skill RAM
MSI B450M Gaming Plus MoBo
And I kept my GTX1050 with the plan to upgrade it sooner rather than later to an ATI card (I just seem to have better luck with those and it will be more compatible with my AMD FreeSync monitor?) next time there are some sales, but with the latest data mining craze, I think I'm going to be stuck with it for awhile.
Scepter M25 (E255B-1658A-25) LED TN Monitor. Advertised: 1MS G-to-G, 165 Hz, Anti-Flicker, Pixel Overdrive mode and FreeSync.

The first thing I did upon upgrade was load up some of my old favorites to see just how they'd look with graphics cranked: Spintires/Mudrunner, Farming Simulator 17, Tomb Raider, Railway Empire, Tropico 5, Pillars of Eternity, WW1 Verdun Western Front, Valiant Hearts: The Great War (to see what 2D looked like).

These should be pretty big clues as to what sort of gamer I am and also that my graphical standards are pretty low.

Immediately I noticed that due to LCD blur all of these old games were unplayable. I tried playing them with far lower settings than my antique Intel setup and still no joy.

One of my main questions is, how can a major computer upgrade on all fronts create so much motion blur? If the blur exists now, it should have definitely existed before? By all rights, running all my games at higher FPS on a higher refresh rate monitor should be an improvement? Why could a game look just fine on my old setup, but be a blurry mess on my new one?

One theory I had based on the below posts is that the Ryzen 5/Zen 2 refuses to play well with my Nvidia graphics card?

I tried to do my research and not necro any old threads. My question is, I believe, related to this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7033&p=52619&hilit ... 2619]post.

A viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7033&p=52619&hilit ... lowup post to that includes this quote with my emphasis: "We can keep our heads stuck in the sand and pretend that latency doesn't exist, or we can acknowledge the problem and finally begin to address it. As latency becomes more of a problem nowadays than ever (Windows 10, Ryzen, game developers buffering frames to boost FPS instead of properly optimizing games, bloated electron garbage "software," etc.), more and more people are waking up to the latency question and are questioning why their old and less powerful systems were noticeably more responsive than their brand new systems (quad core Intel owners upgrading to Ryzen systems being a notable example)."

Okay, now here's where I'm at. I don't 100 percent understand what's happening in this older thread and I don't know if it directly translates to motion blur.

I had an aging Intel Quad Core CPU and an antique junky Dell office LED-backlit LCD panel that ran over a VGA connection. To be honest, I gamed on that for quite a few years and was content. Not blown away, but never was like "this sux." I never once had a noticeable issue with motion blur. I'm not flush with cash, so I upgrade on sales and in a piecemeal manner. I had an ATI card, but it crapped out on me, so I decided to give Nvidia a try and got a decent upgrade and was content. Then, I caught some more sales and decided it was time to bite the bullet and an entirely new system, so I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3000 series with a new motherboard and RAM to match, obviously, but kept my Nvidia graphics card and the same old monitor. Immediately I noticed that any motion whatsoever made me sick to my stomach. Games were unplayable. Even scrolling down a simple webpage in a browser, would cause my eyes to hurt and give me a headache as everything became a blurry mess with even the slightest bump of the scrollwheel.

So I did a lot of research (on a laptop so I could actually read without throwing up) and decided that to match my new admittedly humble system's "power," I had better get something that at least claims to be fancy-schmancy gaming monitor (Scepter E255B-1658A-25). It wasn't on the Blurbusters list of best gaming monitors, but it had good reviews and I could afford it (that part is key). So, it's LED, has 1ms response time, it's 165hz, it's got an pixel overdrive mode and some anti-flicker backlight thingy. Finally, it has Freesync so I can use the G-Sync of my Nvidia card. I also went from VGA to DP. And to be honest, it did make a little difference. G-Sync is unusable, the motion blur is worse than without it. Using a web browser is doable, but only if the overdrive mode is on and it's set to 165hz. Still not as smooth as my antique Dell monitor on my old system. Games are "playable" now, but too much motion forces me to either let my eyes go out of focus until the movement is over or look away from the screen. Obviously, this makes any game with a lot of action or any competition absolutely unplayable. The character standing still every few seconds so he can actually see what he's shooting at (and even then, only shoot at things that aren't moving too quickly) is a pretty easy target. What finally got me up in arms about all this is trying to replay a 20-plus-year-old game: Baldur's Gate II. Scrolling around the map is a blurry pixelated mess that looks like, honestly, a pile of fresh sick and makes me want to produce one. I took my new computer innards out and replaced them with my old Intel setup. Zero noticeable motion blur in any game on either my old monitor or my brand new one. Now, it isn't powerful enough to play my newest games, but the ones that ran on both were infinitely better looking on the older system. I borrowed a friends Asus gaming monitor and my new system was still terrible to play on. I also tested all three monitors on an ancient AMD A8/Radeon 8550G laptop with the ancient games it could play and had acceptable results. I took both of my monitors to his house and they worked just fine on his gaming system. We also swapped graphics cards and the business was the exact same: My card works fine in his system and his looks like trash in mine. Both cards work just fine on my old Intel setup. I also tried a variety of cables, including HDMI and DVI and even adapters for VGA. The only caveat is that my buddy only has an Nvidia card for testing and I don't know anyone with an ATI card to test if it's some sort of architecture compatibility problem.

So, I know for sure these components are good:
Monitors.
Graphics cards.
DP/HDMI/DVI/VGA Cables.
Ancient Intel setup.

Ryzen 5 3000 series CPU
New motherboard?
New Ram?

Now, the reason I'm creating this TL;DR post is because I've tried all the easy stuff:
I use the latest build of Windows 10 with all updates.
Graphics drivers are up to date.
I don't have any weird or unnecessary software installed or running in the background.
I've turned off Windows gaming mode and the xbox bloatware junk that's on by default.
I've turned off full screen optimization.
Turned the graphics all the way down on my test games so they're running at a super high frame rate even if they look hideous.
(And before you ask, yes I turn off motion blur in games and some of my test games don't even have it.)

I don't want to have to try to upgrade to a 240Hz monitor because I'm not certain that would fix this problem. I don't want to upgrade my perfectly good graphics card and I don't want to upgrade out of this new Ryzen system and buy a new Intel one, because I can't afford to do so. And to be honest, it feels like a waste to have all this hardware and not even really have played any games on it. I can toss out the DXDiag if you guys think it will help.

I basically want to do whatever it takes to play games again. If I have to get in the registry to turn a bunch of stuff off, disable cores, run some software or use an older driver. I'll do whatever. I miss games. A lot.

I don't need this PC for anything but gaming, so it doesn't have to be capable of doing anything else.

*le sigh*

Thanks for reading.
Any news ?
akylen, unfortunately not. I've got that old person life with kids, pets, farm animals etc. that keeps me from getting too focused for too long. I'm still convinced it's a motherboard or CPU problem or a combination of the two. My old computer with this same monitor and graphics card has no motion blur on the same games. Troubleshooting dictates that it's the new hardware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2022, 14:50

resurrection20 wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:23
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 05:05
resurrection20 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 21:13
So I linked a video on the previous page of the thread (got hidden behind the OLED discussion) using the pursuit camera method (which was kind of fun to do), but I wasn't sure if the quality of my cell phone was good enough to actually be useful to you. I did single frame steps. I think this might be the best one. I'll re-include the video, too. These little aliens are starting to feel like old friends...
It's still a bit blurry.

One trick is to tap-and-hold the screen while pointing it stationary with the test temporarily paused (or focussing at the stationary "READY." text below, or something as dark as the TestUFO ghosting), at the focus distance you plan to use. This locks the autofocus so it doesn't keep defocussing with autofocus blurring. It's a huge timesaver -- saves a lot of time and fewer attempts.
Is this an iPhone or droid trick? After I get it focused, then do I start the pursuit test?
Both iPhone and Android supports tap-to-hold for fixing focus -- at least recent stock OS

They are often copying each other features
-- pinch and zoom for camera zooming
-- scan QR codes via camera app
-- tap-and-hold for fixed focus
-- selfie camera flash via white screen flash

If you're using an old iPhone or old Android you might not have it, but the current recent versions do tap-n-hold in the stock camera app. It's possible that a 3rd party camera app won't do it (including custom camera apps preinstalled by your carrier....annoying)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kriegor

Post by kriegor » 13 Mar 2022, 17:39

resurrection20 wrote:
Ryzen 5 3000 series CPU
New motherboard?
New Ram?
So, you bought a somewhat cheap, non-approved 165hz monitor and are now trying to blame the motion blur of this display on your hardware?
"I know for sure" you don't know anything for sure!
This notion that your CPU or Ram is, despite beeing fully functional and producing expected framerates, somehow responsible for increased motion blur on your display is nothing but riddiculous. What exactly is your theory on that? "I guess my nvidia card doesnt like my cpu"? That is not a theory, that is just a thought, and by the looks of your postings, it is based on absolutely nothing.
resurrection20 wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 12:13
Alright, I was hoping to get access to a better phone, but I had to use my $20 (before $20 rebate!) Android. I borrowed an iPhone last time. It can't do the stationary 1/500 shutter test, but this is my attempt at the smartphone hand wave. Unfortunately, I think my video capture may be too blurry to be useful. I did every line twice just in case one of them wasn't good enough. I may have to get back to you next time I have a better camera around...

phpBB [video]
your ufo test reveals that there is absolutely nothing wrong.
there is a fairly low amount of trailing, about as you would expect from a monitor like that.
it is somewhat blurry, but that can easily be attributed to the bad camera.

My advice would be to make a better informed purchase next time.

BillyMays

Post by BillyMays » 24 Apr 2022, 01:09

Dear God man (OP),

I've had an almost Identical experience. Saving for a long time and finally buying exactly what I want. Building, in my mind, a beast pc and become obsessed with trouble shooting motion blur. I've read through the forums here more times than I can count. This is the PC I built.

Core i9-10850K
ASUS Tuf 3080
ASUS - PRIME Z490-A
CORSAIR - Dominator Platinum 32GB RAM at 3.2Ghz
Samsung - 980 PRO 1TB PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe
EVGA - GP Series SuperNOVA 1000W ATX 80 Plus Gold - overkill for sure, thought it might help :( didn't lol

Using this monitor.

ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG

Whether I use my new monitor, old monitor or my TV, the motion blur is always there. My Old PC, connected to these same devices is perfect. 60fps, no noticeable motion blur. I actually have both PCs setup and 99% of the time, just play on my old 1080 and i7 6700k. I'm lost lol.

It was in the height of the pandemic so I settled for the CPU and monitor, but my experience over the last two years mirrors yours exactly. The part about trying to browse websites got me right at my core. I havent heard anyone else having all of these symptoms to a T as I have. Also got kids and maybe have two hours a night to play. Atleast three times a week I play for 30 minutes or so then spend the rest of that time searching online for some kind of resolution to the unbearable motion blur. My only resolution I've had was to just play games on my playstation. Its got me an inch away from selling my PC and just being a console gamer. I'm just so tired of always knowing every game will be a smeared mess as soon as I pan the camera.

Just wanted to share that you aren't alone and I have 0 idea whats causing it. 60fps is unplayable and 165 is functional, but still very noticeable motion blur. Honestly, I'm to the point of thinking there isn't anything that can fix this.

I dunno, did you find any resolution? I've tried BFI, but I can always noticing the strobing and either get a migraine or see insane overshoot on every camera pan. Glad I found your post, I feel a bit better about it, knowing I'm not alone.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 27 Apr 2022, 04:59

BillyMays wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 01:09

I dunno, did you find any resolution? I've tried BFI, but I can always noticing the strobing and either get a migraine or see insane overshoot on every camera pan.

I think you should start searching for the culprit among the monitor reviews. I suspected you might've bought the wrong one after reading the complains and sure enough, yup:
https://youtu.be/ejx1hGUorG0?t=688

check the minute of the video I linked. The link directs to the important part about strobing. This YT channel is not among the ones who value strobing, so they tend to be a bit too harsh on this feature, but "unsuable" means "bad" anyway ;)

I see your monitor cannot strobe at 60Hz. That's bad. This means it cannot display clear motion even if you play on your console, unless you play a 120Hz/120fps game, but there's only a few for PS5/Xbox X.

In general, you will get a headache when trying to follow the moving objects on the screen, when they are blurry. Same as if you were trying to play with wrong glasses.
Your console experience may seem better because the motion blur in game smears it so much, your eyes don't even try to focus on the moving stuff.
I've had a friend who couldn't play any FPS games. Or so he said. Turns out, his PC couldn't handle more than 30-40fps. It made him dizzy. I told him to try playing at my house, on 120fps/120Hz. There was a change, obviously.

Use Blurbusters tests https://www.testufo.com/
whenever buying a monitor and try doing it in person, before you buy, if possible.
Make the photo panning test go quicker. It should be clear even when it goes so fast, you need to put some effort into tracking details with your eyes.

Learn from the knowledge shared by Chief in this forums, to know which monitor model would suit you best.
For me, there are no monitors. I need TN panel, perfect motion clarity and don't want to pay a fortune for stuff like g-sync or RGB lighs. So I still use an old Benq 1080p monitor. But at least I can play at any refreshrate, 60-120Hz, with almost perfect motion clarity.

Don't sell your PC. Sell your monitor and buy a good one or certain OLED TV, with good BFI implementation for 60 and 120Hz refreshrates. (LG G1, for example).

Or... wait.
A year from now, Sony will release PSVR2.0
the chance is tiny, but who knows. Maybe they will allow it to be used on PCs and/or as a virtual monitor when hooked up to PS5. Maybe it will have good motion clarity. Won't cost as much as big TV or most expensive monitors. Besides the perceived resolution, it may be better at displaying games anyway. Here's hoping.

For now, look around, check the info about Oculus Quest 2. If only it wasn't limited to compressed USB video signal, it would've been an awesome alternative already, from what I've read.

BillyMays

Post by BillyMays » 01 Nov 2022, 21:35

I trust what your saying about the monitor. However the issue doesn't occur when I use the same monitor on a different computer running the same game at the same refresh rate. I've brought my pc to a friends house with a 240hz monitor and it looks like mayo is smeared on the screen only when my pc is hooked up. Some games look ok and some look like it's running at 30fps when it's running at 120. I can't express how much I hate sitting down to play a game at my computer. Every new game feels like absolute trash. If I didn't work from home on it I would bring it to a repair shop and see if they could figure out the issue. I'm in total despair about how I'll ever be able to use this computer for games.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Nov 2022, 21:14

BillyMays wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 21:35
I trust what your saying about the monitor. However the issue doesn't occur when I use the same monitor on a different computer running the same game at the same refresh rate. I've brought my pc to a friends house with a 240hz monitor and it looks like mayo is smeared on the screen only when my pc is hooked up. Some games look ok and some look like it's running at 30fps when it's running at 120. I can't express how much I hate sitting down to play a game at my computer. Every new game feels like absolute trash. If I didn't work from home on it I would bring it to a repair shop and see if they could figure out the issue. I'm in total despair about how I'll ever be able to use this computer for games.
A. You've said you're running at 120fps but the framerates feels much lower.
B. You've confirmed that your monitor looks much better on a different computer.
C. You've confirmed your computer has same problem with any other monitor.

This defacto confirms (for you specifically) that this is computer related, not monitor related, for your specific situation.

Initial important questions
(this can confirm an OS/driver issue almost immediately off the bat):

1. Go to single monitor mode (no laptop screen, no 2nd 60hz screen) before troubleshooting.
Multimonitor are stutter problems for many games.

2. When you view www.testufo.com does the UFO look good? Max-framerate UFO look fine?
e.g. 240fps UFO has half blur of 120fps UFO has half blur of 60fps UFO, and so on...

3. In addition, does games run smoother when running windowed? Does www.testufo.com windowed run normally?
This is a big hint of major driver-settings issues/corruption/misconfig/etc

4. Can you provide a screenshot of www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph ?
Bonus if you can supply at low CPU/GPU (only window) and high CPU or high GPU (a 2nd window is pushing things) -- since problems often show only at an extreme. Web browsers are super sensitive to stutter, so seeing the stuttergraph in a browser actually is a good amplifier of some background interference, and I can sometimes (occasionally) potentially narrow down the causes of your issues (10% of the time) -- for example cyclic-every-XX-milliseconds red peaks caused by inefficient RGB-keyboard animator system tray apps -- or a hugely noisy orange-colored random spikey waveform caused by massive DWM-timing issues caused by a b0rk3d OS/driver. Other times I can't tell, but there are times I suddenly can tell. I recognize common telltale graphs -- but sometimes it's just featureless and have to go down a different troubleshoot path.

Blur Busters Related Knowledge Base For This

1. Try different gaming mice. They are major stutter-contributors, and some turn 120fps games looking 30fps. There can be a massive stutter-difference between different mice. Never, never forget the mouse's contribution to stutter/motionblur. Have you tried a better 1000Hz+ gaming mouse? High-frequency microstuttering adds extra display motion blur, like a fast-vibrating guitar string that looks blurry. Stutter-to-blur continuum example animation: www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 ... Look at 2nd UFO for at least 30 seconds to see how stutters turns to blur and back. A bad mouse can add 70 microstutters per second = create extra motion blur. Try the best sensors with high-DPI, high-pollrate, low-ingame-sensitivity, for the most ultrasmooth mouseturns.

2. Try complete graphics driver uninstall and reinstall? Not just installing a GPU driver, but actually *completely* uninstalling your graphics driver, and then reboot into safe mode, temporarily running in Intel-internal-GPU or non-accelerated mode without letting it auto-reinstall the driver. Then reinstalling the best graphics driver. It's fixed some voodoo-style problems like these before. Going momentarily vendor-driver-free completely resets a lot of driver settings that creates major problems.

3. Try Safe mode. System tray apps can add various kinds of performance issues, especially work-productivity apps that adds an overlay that interfere with your frame rate (e.g. virtual desktop managers, graphics overlay managers, etc).

4. If OS and TestUFO still stutters super bad after driver complete uninstall-reinstall, try putting your GPU in a different slot. Sometimes that graphics slot has a huge amount of issues on certain motherboards, or has lots of contention with lanes on other cards that hog the bandwidth.

5. A Windows reinstall from scratch also often helps. This is a royal headache, especially if you use your computer for work.

6. Check thermals. Sometimes there's defective thermal paste involved that generates throttling behaviors. Try slight underclock and locking cores to all the same speed, sometimes that smooths things right up, since the max clockspeed can suddenly do a thermal throttle yo-yo.

More than 50% of the time, if www.testufo.com looks normal (every UFO below it is always almost exactly double the blur) AND www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph is a relatively flat sub-1ms shallow-spikey green line, the user will not have the problems you're describing at least in windowed mode (same mode Chrome is running), assuming you're configuring the sync technology settings properly (VSYNC/GSYNC/etc settings).