no pros use DyAc+ [at least in CS:GO, even though #1 pro in Rainbow Six uses DyAc]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
oMajor

no pros use DyAc+ [at least in CS:GO, even though #1 pro in Rainbow Six uses DyAc]

Post by oMajor » 22 Mar 2021, 15:27

I was wondering why does every pro i know that has a benQ monitor with DyAc+ not use it? i feel like if it does what its advertised it should help them tremendously. from what i found DyAc+ is a better version of DyAc and benq havent disclosed what they tweaked with. As im looking to buy a xl2746S i want to know if DyAc+ is worth the extra money for tactical shooters like VALORANT and CS:GO

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: no pros use DyAc+

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Mar 2021, 16:38

It's very game dependant for DyAc pros/cons -- probably about 25% or of the pros use it. It's more common in some games than others, because some games benefit more than others -- see Situations where DyAc helps, and where DyAc doesn't help -- for example, most pros do stationary-gaze at crosshairs even to scroll enemies in view.

Strobing doesn't help stationary-gaze situations the way strobing helps eye-tracking situations (e.g. crosshairsless games, or games that use moving crosshairs, or games like Rocket League).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

oMajor

Post by oMajor » 22 Mar 2021, 18:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 16:38
It's very game dependant for DyAc pros/cons -- probably about 25% or of the pros use it. It's more common in some games than others, because some games benefit more than others -- see Situations where DyAc helps, and where DyAc doesn't help -- for example, most pros do stationary-gaze at crosshairs even to scroll enemies in view.

Strobing doesn't help stationary-gaze situations the way strobing helps eye-tracking situations (e.g. crosshairsless games, or games that use moving crosshairs, or games like Rocket League).
As valorant and csgo have limited movement and would require you to have a stationary gaze, you would recommend having DyAc+ off correct? also thank you for responding and helping

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2021, 17:17

oMajor wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 18:00
As valorant and csgo have limited movement and would require you to have a stationary gaze, you would recommend having DyAc+ off correct? also thank you for responding and helping
There is no yes and no answer.

It depends on your gaming tactic.

Are you a "permanent gaze at crosshairs" person? Then strobing OFF is better.
Are you in need of "aim stabilization"? Then strobing ON is better.
Are you in need of eye-tracking camoflaged motion? (e.g. helicoptor flying over enemies) Then strobing ON is better.

Remember, human reaction time improvements can exceed the minor strobe latency (+0ms to +4ms, averaging out to 2ms). You're optimizing for the ENTIRE latency chain -- including faster human reaction time from clearer motion.

Faster reaction from no motion blur. If your human reaction time goes down by 10 milliseconds, who cares about +2ms strobe lag? You see, you're optimizing for the ENTIRE latency chain, including the HUMAN :D Deciding on proper latency trades (including human brain latency -- slower reaction time due to motion blur).

There are some games (not CS:GO, and not Valorant) where the #1 champion uses strobing. Strobing isn't commonly used in most crosshair'd FPS games by pros, but CS:GO is not the entire esports industry -- even if it seems that way! Also, sometimes strobing helps FPS but it is more arena shooters where you're running while shooting and eye-tracking while jumping from platform to platform, etc.

So I cannot answer your professional strobing on/off question for you. It depends on how YOU play your game. Strobing benefits is often personal-gaming-tactic dependant.

The problem is motion blur reduction doesn't help everything, like stationary-eye-gaze situations.

...If 90-95% of your gaming wins are from stationary gaze latency needs, then perhaps DyAc=OFF is best for you.
...But if more than 50% of your gaming wins is from eye-tracking tactics then perhaps DyAc=ON is best for you.

Ask yourself: How do you win your games? Does your wins involve eye-tracking behaviors that are fogged by display motion blur?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 23 Mar 2021, 17:59

As Chief said, it is very dependant on the game.

I always make the example of Rainbow Six Siege.

There are game mechanics that make strobing in this game a gamechanger, like for example Quick Peeking (either to gather informations or to get a quick kill).
Recoil control is easier with Dyac since it does reduce recoil induced shaking that commonly causes motion blur and a lot of guns in r6s have high recoil.
R6s is very dependant on spatial awareness to gather informations about enemies, with dyac it is easier to see an enemy behind cover.

Spoit, who is one of the best R6S players in the worlds says that Dyac is very important in his play style.

He's constantly top 10 and he easily gets to rank 1 every single season.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

TotalEclipse

Post by TotalEclipse » 24 Mar 2021, 16:31

Something you may not have considered oMajor, is that most professional players have little to no idea how DyAc works or what it even does. You'd be surprised at how technologically illiterate some of these players are given that they use a computer each and every day.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2021, 16:44

axaro1 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 17:59
Spoit, who is one of the best R6S players in the worlds says that Dyac is very important in his play style.
This, this, this.

This is why strobing is less useful for CS:GO but more useful for Rainbow Six (or Rocket League, etc)

People who don't understand, needs to understand this example from this old thread:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: Example of Certain Competitive Advantages of ULMB (or DyAc)

AKA: "Why doesn't it help me in CS:GO, but it helps me more in certain different games such as Rainbow Six or Rocket League?"

The animations at http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking and http://www.testufo.com/persistence are your friends in helping you understand display motion blur issues better. Motion blur disappears if you stop tracking eyes.

Turn off ULMB/LightBoost and look at this animation (on a regular LCD):

(you can run this in full screen mode too, if you wish)

1. Stare at the stationary UFO. You see vertical lines clearly, but stars are hard to see.
You're immune to display motion blur. ULMB won't help competitively.
Example: Always staring only at crosshairs in CS:GO or Quake type games

2. Eye-track the moving UFO. Vertical lines disappear due to motion blur, but you see stars better.
You're at mercy of display motion blur. ULMB can help competitively.
Example: Camoflaged enemies in high-speed low-altitiude helicoptor flyby. The ball in Rocket League. Scrolling platformers. Etc

3. Turn on ULMB (or view on a CRT) and eye-track the moving UFO.
Now you easily see both the vertical lines and the stars (line gaps) at the same time!

As observed, there are different competitive advantages, depending on your game eye-tracking habits & tactics. Is stars your figurative enemy? Or are the vertical lines the figurative enemy? Or both are enemies you need to see at the same time? In certain types of games, it could be both. To see both vertical lines and stars (line gaps) simultaneously, ULMB gives you that competitive advantage.

Other Considerations

Absolute minimum lag sometimes more important for fixed-gaze gameplay tactics
ULMB won't help you for gaze-only-at-crosshairs (absolute minimum lag is more important). But it can help you catch that camouflaged moving object, to the point where faster human reaction time compensates for the input lag of strobing. This animation is a clear demonstration. There are many games with tons of motion (and few screen-stationary elements, no crosshairs, etc) where ULMB/DyAc can help competitively more than usual. Some monitors, like the BenQ XL2546, have strobing (DyAc) on by default, since they've reduced strobe lag to extremely low levels.

ULMB/strobing and lag for eSports
In the past, many players used CRT gaming tactics (tracking eyes while turning in FPS shooter games). However, many modern eSports players moved away from that. For example, many adopt "gaze-at-crosshairs-only, use only peripheral-vision" to catch enemies, and flick-turn them to the crosshairs (to score) without moving eyes away from the crosshairs. This technique of fixed-gaze-only-at-crosshairs makes you practically immune to LCD motion blur. As a result, ULMB does not help. ULMB brings CRT-clarity LCDs back again, and is currently bringing back certain gameplay tactics formerly common in the CRT era. Everybody plays differently, so everybody benefits very differently from ULMB in different games. The key to understanding how to use ULMB competitively is knowing how to wield the "ULMB sword" correctly, bright and stutterless ULMB, with the right game/gameplay/tactics.

VSYNC OFF during ULMB
If you can achieve overkill frame rates (e.g. 300fps or 400fps), it can compensate quite a bit to smoothing out all the strobe-amplified microstuttering. The microstutter jumps (stutter vibration amplitude of moving objects) are halved at double frame rate -- e.g. 400fps VSYNC OFF looks much smoother than 200fps VSYNC OFF. This can be useful if you've got 240Hz strobing (e.g. BenQ XL2546 or LG 27GK750F) and still prefer VSYNC OFF. Things will always look smoother at framerate = refreshrate = stroberate. However, if you have overkill frame rates, VSYNC OFF may no longer have the strobe-amplified jitteriness.

The Right Tool for the Right Job: You can easily turn ULMB ON/OFF
Even with the strobe lag penalty, strobing can be a suitable competitive advantage if used properly for the right game & specific gameplay tactics. You should use ULMB to reduce human lag (in a way that exceeds the very, very tiny ULMB-technology lag on newer ULMB monitors). All ULMB monitors lets you turn ULMB ON/OFF.

It's a great competitive tool to have in a toolbox, once you know how to use the tool correctly: Using it for specific games that demand gameplay tactics that ULMB benefits. Situations where human reaction time savings consistently exceed the tiny strobe lag. And knowing how to get the game to co-operate well with ULMB/strobing.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: no pros use DyAc+ [at least in CS:GO, even though #1 pro in Rainbow Six uses DyAc]

Post by RealNC » 25 Mar 2021, 10:12

Strobing is most useful in games with frantic action on the screen. Like Quake, where you run around at very high speeds and constantly change your view angle at a fast pace. CS:GO is not such a game. Quite the opposite, in fact. It's slow and you usually focus on one angle.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

drmcninja

Re: no pros use DyAc+ [at least in CS:GO, even though #1 pro in Rainbow Six uses DyAc]

Post by drmcninja » 29 Mar 2021, 17:26

It's not an either/or choice though.

I play Overwatch and DyAc is HUGELY beneficial for clarity because obviously there's very fast moving characters and you're looking around a lot or moving around a lot yourself. I already knew that because I also played a lot of Quake.

However, the benefit from other tech has helped my aim more. Lower input lag for example, or frame syncing (G-Sync/FastSync/etc). The clarity from frame syncing has been as important, if not moreso, for me than DyAc. I've been playing with ULMB in one form or another since like 2017 or earlier but a huge bump in my ability to aim came when I started using FastSync / G-Sync. V-Sync On and fps locked to less than refresh rate was also nice but added input lag. FastSync offset some of this because the mouse felt better with high framerate at least.

Maybe Nvidia Reflex will help the lag problem a little with the frame syncing technologies.

Ideal monitor would be DyAc+ combined with FreeSync/G-Sync and ultra low input lag.

Also, no need to sit around and do nothing. You can adjust the look of your monitor (colors, brightness, contrast, etc) to maximize clarity which will help a little, but noticeably in a similar manner to ULMB.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2021, 19:25

Great experience feedback!

That said, I want to offer two additional options for reducing strobe lag even further:
drmcninja wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 17:26
V-Sync On and fps locked to less than refresh rate was also nice but added input lag. FastSync offset some of this because the mouse felt better with high framerate at least.
RTSS Scanline Sync + strobing tends to be marriage made in heaven.

No capping needed, since even 0.1 or 0.01-fps-below can generate latency sawtoothing from fps-vs-Hz slewing beat frequency effect:

There can still be a weird latency sawtooth even for 119.99fps cap at 120.00Hz strobe (beat-frequencying every 100 seconds).

The great thing is that this sawtooth-changing latency is fixed by RTSS Scanline Sync which allows perfect framerate=Hz without VSYNC ON latency. It's achieved by synchronizing tearlines just right above the top edge of the screen, creating a tearingless VSYNC OFF mode that looks identical to VSYNC ON. The software is a bit difficult to use/calibrate though, and requires a bit of GPU headroom to work reliably.

However, VRR is a good competitive advantage in certain games. ELMB-SYNC is also one of the lowest-lag "framerate=Hz" strobing techniques (and single strobe as long as you keep framerates really high, within 40fps window of max), to avoid the artifacts of low frame rates. Large Vertical Totals can accelerate refresh cycle delivery from PC to monitor, e.g. transmitting a 120Hz refresh cycle in 1/240sec over the video cable. It depends on whether you're using a slightly lower refresh rate strobing than max.

So that boils down to two world's lowest lag perfect framerate=Hz strobing:
- Capped VRR strobing; or
- RTSS Scanline Sync + Strobing + optional Large Vertical Total (for Quick Frame Transport)

This can minimize strobe lag to the point where your human reaction time advantage usually exceeds any now-smaller lag penalties (from strobing / from capping).