if I am sensitive to Samsung "LED Clear Motion" what other forms would I see flicker on?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
blurbustingbunny

if I am sensitive to Samsung "LED Clear Motion" what other forms would I see flicker on?

Post by blurbustingbunny » 25 Apr 2021, 19:35

I just tried it out and it's incredibly nauseating and pain inducing. There is extremely visible flicker. this is on an MU6290, it's what I had around with the LED Clear Motion option available

Razorless

Re: if I am sensitive to Samsung "LED Clear Motion" what other forms would I see flicker on?

Post by Razorless » 02 May 2021, 03:28

According to the review at RTINGS , the TV only accepts 60 Hz input and "LED clear motion" flickers at 60 Hz in anything but "game mode", where it flickers at 120 Hz. This means, that if you set the source to "PC" it should flicker at 60 Hz (clearly visible flicker) while if set to "console" with "game mode", the flicker frequency should be 120 Hz (no visible flicker for most people but double images). Note that you cannot turn on "game mode" while the source is set to "PC".

In other words, anything that flickers at 60 Hz will look uncomfortable to you. Some PC monitors are capable of precisely tuning the flicker frequency (especially those approved by Blur Busters). As far as I know, most TVs only offer 60 Hz and 120 Hz or even only one of the two. RTINGS is a good source to find out about the flicker capabilites of TVs.

Prateek

Re: if I am sensitive to Samsung "LED Clear Motion" what other forms would I see flicker on?

Post by Prateek » 15 Jul 2022, 20:26

Hi I have bought a new Tv from samsung 75 inch NeoQled QN85A and when I put the display settings to Custom and turn on the LED Clear Motion, In sometime the TV starts to flicker. It only goes off when I turn off that setting means disable the LED clear motion. This was not expected from such an expensive TV. Is that a shortcoming of this model. Or Is that a fault in the Tv, because samsung engineer verified that there is no problem with the TV hardware. Can you please suggest what to do?

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 16 Jul 2022, 11:41

If it's at 60Hz, the flicker is normal to see.
If it's at 120Hz and it's barely visible on full white screen etc. it also is normal, although most people don't immediately notice flicker in normal content at this refreshrate.

Read this:
https://blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

and this

https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction

to undertand, that if you want clear motion below 500Hz, you basically have to force the display to flicker. There's just a question of your tolerance. Some people are fine with 100Hz, some still complain at 144Hz and need 240.

And you can just strobe each frame twice, which will reduce the flicker at 60Hz to the levels of 120Hz (not a problem for most people) but then as the FAQ explains, it ruins the purpose and makes the clear image in fast motion impossible.
The only other way to avoid this, would be a mode where the TV receives 60Hz content, with 60fps, and creates the additional frames in the process called frame interpolation. Then, strobe at each frame at 120Hz.