Zero cross-talk/motion blur 144HZ monitor?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
PYRUSWON

Zero cross-talk/motion blur 144HZ monitor?

Post by PYRUSWON » 29 Apr 2021, 10:43

Hello guys.

I bought the viewsonic x270 (I don't remember the exact name) back when it first came out because this website recommended it. I definitely enjoy the monitor still, but I was curious, since I haven't checked in on this forum in a while, if there has yet to be a new monitor that has come out that has absolutely no cross-talk at 144hz.

I only really play games at 144hz, and I'm fine with setting a 240hz panel to 144, since that's what I'm used to, and most games are just not optimized enough to get higher than that, so I'm totally happy with it. Price is not an issue, I just want a monitor with essentially no motion blur, or the absolutely best option you can buy currently.

Also, if anyone has any optimizations for this monitor that they know of, do let me know. I haven't really updated or messed with the monitor settings in months, if not years.

EDIT: XG270 I believe. I don't believe I've updated firmware or anything in ages, so if there's anything there that you guys recommend I download, and any settings to change, please let me know how!

Thanks for reading.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Zero cross-talk/motion blur 144HZ monitor?

Post by Discorz » 30 Apr 2021, 01:05

XG2431 is Blur Busters Approved 2.0 and is about to release in a month (I think). I would expect premium strobing implementation.
At this time the most recommended for strobing are Zowie monitors, XL2546K and other models.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2021, 11:38

For ViewSonic XG270:
Your firmware is the most recent if your PureXP menu has 5 settings (OFF, Ultra, Extreme, Normal, Light) instead of 2 settings (OFF, ON). This firmware has better strobe tuning than the original firmware. If you do not have this firmware, you should upgrade the firmware via ViewSonic Elite Display Controller with a USB3 cable connected to the monitor.

For ViewSonic XG2431:
When it comes out -- you can use the Custom PureXP mode along with ViewSonic Strobe Utility, to create a 144 Hz mode significantly superior to the XG270. However, there will still be a small amount of crosstalk at the top/bottom edge for 144Hz mode. Generally, the closer the Hz is to max, the harder it is to have full-screen-height crosstalk free operation (top/center/bottom).

For alternative options:
If you're seeking zero-crosstalk top/center/bottom, the Quest 2 VR headset is the zero-motion-blur LCD champion at the moment -- no desktop monitor manages to meet the zero-crosstalkness of an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset at the moment. However, Quest 2 does not reach 144 Hz, however...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 30 Apr 2021, 13:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 11:38
For ViewSonic XG270:
Your firmware is the most recent if your PureXP menu has 5 settings...
Hey chief, it's nice to talk to you again. I believe I updated to that level of firmware long ago, pretty much a month or two after I bought this monitor, and then forgot about it, so that's good!

As for the new monitor you mention, thanks for letting me know. I'll be on the look out for it, as I'm definitely looking for the closest thing to 0 i can find for 144hz gaming! Do we happen to know when it is going to be coming out by now? I looked around the forum and some online googling to find pretty much nothing, outside of a suspected release in May. Is there any news on that?

Another question if you don't mind;

I've searched this forum for a while looking for some more information on the large vertical total tricks that you guys have come up with when it comes to the XG270 in particular. Does this method work on the xg270? Perhaps could I improve this monitor for the time being? It's genuinely a fantastic monitor, but I enjoy this kind of tinkering, even if it gives me mild anxiety lol, I don't want to destroy my monitor or damage anything.

Thanks again for your replies.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2021, 16:59

PYRUSWON wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 13:53
I've searched this forum for a while looking for some more information on the large vertical total tricks that you guys have come up with when it comes to the XG270 in particular. Does this method work on the xg270? Perhaps could I improve this monitor for the time being? It's genuinely a fantastic monitor, but I enjoy this kind of tinkering, even if it gives me mild anxiety lol, I don't want to destroy my monitor or damage anything.
Large Vertical Totals don't damage monitors -- you just lose signal if it doesn't work. You just have to revert.

The main risk is your Windows registry or your graphics driver. So the damage risk is to your Windows installation that might end up requiring running ToastyX reset-all.exe or a graphics driver reinstall (or super-rarely, a Windows reinstall). Just stay on the book (use ToastyX instead of directly editing your registry) and revert by the book (use reset-all.exe and/or graphics driver reinstall), don't abruptly unplug your blank-screened computer to corrupt your registry. The most common damage risk is a confused user with a black screen trying to unplug their computer (and accidentally corrupting their ToastyX-modified Windows registry) because they couldn't figure out how to restart their computer or revert ToastyX. And you'll be safe, Windows-wise.

The safest is to test while in dual monitor. So you have a 2nd monitor with a picture to help you correctly shutdown/reboot your computer if you mess up the ToastyX settings for one monitor, blank it out, and need to revert the registry.

If you're testing just 1 monitor, make sure you have a blind shutdown sequence (e.g. shutdown hotkey) so you can reboot in safe mode and run reset-all.exe to uninstall your EDID override from your Windows registry.

---

As for XG270, it is already internally scanconverting (internal large Vertical Totals) so you will only gain latency reductions, no strobe crosstalk improvements with large vertical totals on XG270. The XG2431 will simultaneously get latency reductions (Quick Frame Transport behavior) AND crosstalk reductions with Large Vertical Totals.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tommywise

Post by tommywise » 03 May 2021, 14:53

hi im thinking to buy monitor XG270 with Pure Xp+ but i also dont want miss Freesync, cause playing with it is so smooth...

so there is way to play with both? Freesync and Pure xp together? Cant understand how do you play...? still dilemmma between those?

If not and i must choose either Freesync or Pure xp, then what is better? Or.... can you suggest any Freesync 27 inch,FullHD monitor with best response time? I have ASUS VG279q but cant concentrate to gaming itself due to ghosting which my eyes hurts.

Sorry for my english :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2021, 17:04

You can't combine FreeSync and PureXP+ at this time.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 May 2021, 19:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 May 2021, 17:04
You can't combine FreeSync and PureXP+ at this time.
I'm going to take very very careful note of "At this time."
Chief Blur Buster always drops subtle hints...