Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Dreamz

Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Post by Dreamz » 17 Jun 2021, 12:56

*edited*

Hey, I'm looking for a new 1080p 240hz (I think) monitor, such as the BenQ EX2540 / similar.

My biggest problem, I grew up gaming on 100hz LG Flatron 795 and played competitively to a high level on a couple of FPS shooters.

I've always "hated" gaming on TFT's but they eventually swamped the market and big bulky CRT's died a death.

So now I'm looking for something that can give the closest experience via ULMB / ELMB / Lightboost etc? I'm really sensitive to the blur from TFT's having come from a world of CRT's.

I have a Viewsonic XG2401 which is pretty quick, but it's nowhere near a CRT and a Benq XL2411 before that.

Sure it could just be my 40yr old eyes are failing, but I'm pretty sure I'd start popping off again with my old Flatron! (space will not allow that!)

Help?

Thanks!
Last edited by Dreamz on 22 Jun 2021, 13:07, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a new 1080p 144hz closest to CRT performance...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 16:27

If you want CRT clarity, don’t need to mortgage yourself at only 144Hz.

Get 240Hz, and get one of the new FastIPS panels (2020 manufacture or newer).

100Hz strobe on 240Hz panels have more CRT motion clarity than 100Hz strove on 144Hz panels, because of more time to hide LCD GtG pixel response unseen by eyes between refresh cycles.

Refresh rate headroom improves strobe quality, see Why Refresh Rate Headroom Is Good For Strobing

Also, long-term, do you want to reduce motion blur via strobing, or strobelessly? Or both options? There’s a good post of mine at CRT Nirvana Guide for Disappointed CRT to LCD Upgraders.

Also, have you heard of the Blur Busters Approved program?
- https://blurbusters.com/press-release-v ... t-to-pass/
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8113

The ViewSonic XG2431 is coming out soon, and has more flexible multisync strobe (unlike fixed presets of some competitor brands of strove modes), from 59Hz through 240Hz. This is a good recommendation for CRT users needing a flexible and high quality strobe mode in a LCD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dreamz

Post by Dreamz » 17 Jun 2021, 18:33

Thanks for the response, I'm looking at 240hz IPS (*edit* possible IPS / TN) due to cost - don't really want to spend more than £300+

So best option in the 240hz range and will the newer IPS panels be a worthy "upgrade" over this Viewsonic XG2401 TN panel (competitive gaming is the primary use).

I also came across some info ref running GSYNC + VSYNC on but couldn't get my head around the point of that if using an FPS cap - VSYNC will never trigger right? (NVIDIA Reflex also caps the FPS regardless I believe, in say something like Overwatch)...

Ref using strobing or strobelessly - no idea, open to whatever (I think the old Benq XL2411 did something like that with its `blur reduction` which also dimmed the screen - but I never actually tried it for gaming as felt it dimmed too much...)
Last edited by Dreamz on 22 Jun 2021, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2021, 21:29

Currently, few of the 144Hz 1080p use the new “Fast IPS” panels, so you will have to live with possibly slightly worse motion blur than 144Hz TN panels like the BenQ.

If that bothers you, I’d stick to your BenQ a little longer until more upgradefeel can fit into your cost leagues. Did you know the BenQ 144Hz 1080p panels can be overclocked to 20lHz+ with a new hack?

However, VRR capability might be important to you, and this is where 144Hz VRR panels can come to the rescue for you. This is good for destuttering variable-framerate games.

Jorim can answer GSYNC questions in the GSYNC forum, but I’ll give an easy answer. The reason is frame rate caps are just mere averages. 140fps cap still means some frames may be 1/130sec and other frames are 1/150sec. The individual frames faster than a refresh cycle uses the fallback sync tech configured.

Strobeless method of blur reduction is the doubling of Hz to halve motion blur. 240Hz has one quarter the motion blur of 60Hz, even for simple things like dragging windows or browser scrolling. The more Hz, the more you can reduce motion blur strobelessly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dreamz

Post by Dreamz » 18 Jun 2021, 06:32

Gotcha and thanks for the informative response again!

*edit - So I've done some testing on the Benq XL2411Z and it DOES overclock to 200hz without issue - the only problem I could see with this was it seems a PITA to keep running like this - using BR BOOSTER now vs SoftMCCS which is much easier, although still easy to get caught out by the odd Out of Range message if not careful (meaning a hard reset).

Seems running at 200hz with BR on - I'm getting full display brightness as well (great!) and not the dim version seen when using BR normally.

The only downside (as this does look amazing for such an old panel) is the lack of freesync.

Whilst this is a nice "fix" it isn't the best solution and also the XL2411Z is showing its age a bit now too (surely tech has improved since then!).

So I guess what I'm after, is a screen that can do blur reduction, maintain brightness and operates at either 144hz or 200hz+ with freesync...

Within the £200-£300 mark - (about $400 tops) - Amazon Prime week is approaching, might be some bargains...

Dreamz

Post by Dreamz » 22 Jun 2021, 13:00

I gotta say how good the XL2411Z is overclocked to 200hz with ELMB on:

Am I really going to get *much* better than this by going to say a XL2540 or VG297QM (which from tests I've seen cannot get this sharp?).

If not, then I guess all I'm missing here is perhaps going to 240hz (as my rig can handle the FPS) and freesync to pick up any drops...
Attachments
h2lByqUn.jpg
h2lByqUn.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 4792 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jun 2021, 15:33

Dreamz wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 13:00
Am I really going to get *much* better than this by going to say a XL2540 or VG297QM (which from tests I've seen cannot get this sharp?).
If strobing is important, then yes. I've seen XL2546 DyAc series do better strobing for screen-middle at 240Hz nowadays.

But IPS has caught up, and surpassed TN in some cases, too. A 2020+ 240Hz+ FastIPS currently has better strobing than 144Hz TN panels strobing at 144Hz-and-up. Some 240 Hz "Fast IPS" panels have approximately 3% crosstalk at 240Hz once warmed up.

I know that my Blur Busters Approved prototype XG2431 IPS can do it at 240Hz (middle 1/3 equal 3%-5% crosstalk or less), 120 Hz large-VT (VT2250, middle 75% screen height well under 3% crosstalk), and 60 Hz large-VT (VT4500, 100% screen height well under 3% crosstalk, 80%-90% height completely perfect aka below human visibility noisefloor at less than 1% crosstalk!)

Also, the refresh rate headroom trick is good for strobing, which is why 120Hz strobe at 240Hz is so vastly superior to 120Hz strobe at 144Hz. To reduce strobe crosstalk, you could attempt overclocked large vertical totals, if you wish (use a lower Hz at the same horizontal scanrate you successfully overclocked at) -- this might create a clear-strobing 160Hz mode refreshing individual refresh cycles at faster than 1/200sec, creating more time to hide LCD GtG between refresh cycles.

Dreamz

Re: Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Post by Dreamz » 22 Jun 2021, 16:56

Well looks like the XG2431 is delayed until July at the earliest and very doubtful it will fit into my price bracket (£300) as I'm intending on replacing 2 screens.

Found a video comparing the XL2546 vs VG259QM and given the price difference (and IPS) the ASUS does extremely well (doesn't read as if tested under best conditions too (240hz etc))

With the VG279QM £50 cheaper than the VG259QM and supposedly a slightly better screen too, I guess this is where I'm headed... (just wanted to rule out the BENQ XL2540K too - especially as this old XL2411Z is doing such an amazing job of ELMB @ 200hz :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DBqyGf7JE

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Jun 2021, 13:51

Dreamz wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 16:56
Well looks like the XG2431 is delayed until July at the earliest and very doubtful it will fit into my price bracket (£300) as I'm intending on replacing 2 screens.

Found a video comparing the XL2546 vs VG259QM and given the price difference (and IPS) the ASUS does extremely well (doesn't read as if tested under best conditions too (240hz etc))

With the VG279QM £50 cheaper than the VG259QM and supposedly a slightly better screen too, I guess this is where I'm headed... (just wanted to rule out the BENQ XL2540K too - especially as this old XL2411Z is doing such an amazing job of ELMB @ 200hz :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DBqyGf7JE
Don't forget that the 6 suffixes are brighter than the 0 suffixes because of voltage-boosted strobe backlight, the "DyAc" branded ones. For example, XL2546 is much brighter than XL2540.

The VG259QM and VG279QM, however, does also have voltage boosted strobe backlights too.

If your budget is stuck with a Zowie zero suffix, you might end up tilting your cost-benefit analysis towards the ASUS models.

Dreamz

Post by Dreamz » 29 Jun 2021, 16:44

OK, so my list of "demands"

1080p
240hz
ELMB with voltage boosted strobing (that right? to keep picture bright whilst Blur Reduction is on)
GSYNC or Freesync (VRR)

The only monitor I know that ticks all of these boxes is the ASUS VG2x9QM, however, these just jumped up in price on Amazon, so I need to know any alternatives (if any exist sub £300).

Failing that, I wait for the price to drop again I guess.