Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Eonds

Re: Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Post by Eonds » 01 Jul 2021, 19:24

Dreamz wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 16:44
OK, so my list of "demands"

1080p
240hz
ELMB with voltage boosted strobing (that right? to keep picture bright whilst Blur Reduction is on)
GSYNC or Freesync (VRR)

The only monitor I know that ticks all of these boxes is the ASUS VG2x9QM, however, these just jumped up in price on Amazon, so I need to know any alternatives (if any exist sub £300).

Failing that, I wait for the price to drop again I guess.
Why not just make space for the CRT you said you have? You'd be better off buying a desk or whatever exactly your issue is. The non existent input lag + the motion clarity is really nice to have. I have 3+ friends that own the ASUS VG259qm & The ASUS VG279QM, they're great monitors and the blur mode looks clear. Just stick to the CRT man, you won't regret it honestly. Refresh rate isn't too important when you have no input lag and basically no motion blur. LCD's will never feel as good as a CRT tbh. When i first switched to pc it almost felt worse than a ps4. Before i switched to pc, i use to play wayyy back in 2012 on a game called A.V.A with a CRT. I had basically 60fps but yet the CRT compensated for the rest of the system. LCD's are just way to laggy FOR ME. Also if this means anything i'm also a high level player in multiple games & have been playing competitively since i was a kid (still am a kid) and my skill dropped off at least 50% when i started using LCD's & windows 10 lol.

Dreamz

Re: Looking for new 1080p 240hz VRR closest to CRT performance...

Post by Dreamz » 02 Jul 2021, 16:36

Same, I'm 45 now but have always been a gamer (genx) grew up through all stages of the PC evolution, ZX80 onwards - never a console kid.

LCD's ruined my game completely and I used to play at top-level back in the day on various fps/team-based shooters.

So I've changed my approach a bit here and bit the bullet on the MSI OPTIX G273QF IPS 27" and I gotta say, this monitor is incredible.

It makes every top-end 144hz TN panel look like dog poop and whilst the motion clarity isn't "quite" as sharp as a strobe pulsed display, it's really not far off and overall motion clarity, input lag, display quality etc are excellent.

I run a Ryzen 5 2600K with a Geforce 2060 so 165fps is pretty easy to achieve in games like Overwatch, but 240fps is more of a struggle to maintain hence the decision to go for a lower rate (it still has freesync etc).

If your PC can manage the frames I'd recommend more people go for a 1440p display vs 1080p at 240hz.