VRR STROBING Monitors List

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: VRR STROBING Monitors List

Post by Discorz » 09 May 2022, 04:27

Good news! RTINGS now seems to do proper-ish vrr strobing motion photos for updated v1.2 test bench. They have their own executable "game" for pursuit photos where they can control vrr frame rate, similar to AG Smooth Frog.

Test Bench 1.2 Changelog
RTINGS wrote:
  • Added more motion blur pictures to show the backlight strobing performance across different refresh rates and modes.
  • Monitor's refresh rate and the "in-game" frame rate are set to the same frequency, but we now test with VRR enabled.
Meaning:
- VRR enabled
- monitor set to max refresh rate
- vrr framerate set to 'max', 120 or other fps

BUT in some cases their camera tracking accuracy is still off and they use anti-aliased edge image patterns. So if they captured fastest persistence displays like CRT photo would still look blurry. Meaning given motion photo would never be an accurate demonstration of display's persistence. They also use differently sized patterns for different pixel density. That is something to have in mind. I e-mailed them and pointed this out as well as suggested some other changes regarding motion photos.

Here are some examples:

M32Q Backlight Strobing + VRR, 93 ppi
RTINGS 120 FPS
RE-TEST 120 FPS

VG279QM, Backlight Strobing + VRR, 81 ppi
RTINGS 120 FPS
RE-TEST 120 FPS

∼960 pps
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Ezzelin

Post by Ezzelin » 06 Jan 2023, 19:03

Hello! I recently bought a Asus XG32UQ and can confirm that it can activate ELMB Sync at 160Hz. It also sadly has a KSF phosphor, so I might be returning it, although it's not as disruptive as I imagined it being when I'm not looking at pursuit patterns or dragging a window.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 26 Apr 2023, 07:56

Apparently the BenQ MOBIUZ EX270QM supports VRR + backlight strobing according to 1 reviewer above 100 fps. I don't know how this one flew under the radar...

konchy

Post by konchy » 30 Apr 2023, 02:42

liquidshadowfox wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 07:56
Apparently the BenQ MOBIUZ EX270QM supports VRR + backlight strobing according to 1 reviewer above 100 fps. I don't know how this one flew under the radar...
The benq ex240 too according to a YouTube reviewer

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 30 Apr 2023, 13:16

Wow this BenQ MOBIUZ EX270QM monitor is not bad! the VRR + strobing performance is similar to the gigabyte m27q X (yes red phosphor is present) with some extra features. For one, you can actually increase the brightness in strobe and it gets pretty bright! Strobe works above 80 hz and the best OD for each refresh are
ama 0 = fps < 85
ama 1 = 86 - 140
ama 2 = 141 - 240
ama 3 = gives more speed for 240 but I notice the overshoot.
I tested this by enabling the Gsync compatible flag in nvidia control panel, using hdmi 2.1 and using smooth frog to test the VRR range + strobe. Low motion blur clarity is best in the middle, then bottom and then the worst crosstalk is at the top of the screen. Going to be testing this monitor out for the next week or so.

Edit: Really annoying bug, when you have games in exclusive fullscreen the screen blacks out for 2 - 3 seconds between alt tabbing AND the game set's the monitor to downscaled 4k @ 120 hz setting every time. I had to use CRU to delete the virtual 4k setting (probably there for ps4 compatibility with consoles) and the issue of 2 - 3 seconds of black out STILL occurs (doesn't happen if you are in borderless windowed). It doesn't occur if the refresh of the monitor is set to 200 hz vs using 240 hz so I assume something is wrong with the DSC implementation on this monitor.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 26 May 2023, 13:06

According to someone's review on newegg talking about the Asus XG27AQMR, it's better than the XG27AQM apparently given he's tried out a bunch of monitors and it does support elmb sync. Not sure if anyone here has this monitor and reported it's performance but given it has 300 hz and more brightness than the XG27AQM, it might have some marginal improvements. Also the fact they say it has a 1 ms response time vs the 0.5 of the XG27AQM is because they toned back the overdrive so there's no inverse ghosting even at the highest overdrive level (at max refresh) according to one asian reviewer online.