VRR STROBING Monitors List

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: VRR STROBING Monitors List

Post by Discorz » 28 Mar 2022, 03:22

Nice! I contacted RTINGS to add it to their review list before it was available in US. And now that it finally is people can go vote if interested. I believe M27Q X will take the budget crown just like M27Q. I personally newer saw how BGR pixels loos but assume it shouldn't be that bad.

I think too its equal. I just hope its brighter. It would be nice to see if it could bug into single strobe vrr just like M32Q hh.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 28 Mar 2022, 21:10

I just bought the monitor :) will give an update on how it compares to the XG27AQM from asus when I get it next week. I expect the asus will be better in fixed strobing and the gigabyte will be better in VRR + strobing based on what I've seen online from some of their similar panels but we will see. Really sad the eve spectrum 280 hz got delayed until oct :( feels bad.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 29 Mar 2022, 02:19

What a nice surprise :). Yeah EVE is taking bit too long. Has it been a 1, 1.5 year wait now? Before it comes out new IPS panels will already be out. I'm kinda excited about M27Q X too. Make a separate topic so we can discuss in detail. Prepare a good camera this time hh. Good thing we already know alot about this panel since FI27Q-X was reviewed multiple times. We have info on:
- response times (perhaps same or similar overdrive tuning), a possible use of variable overdrive like OD Balance, 2020 gen fast IPS
ㅤ- similar full range pursuit shots
ㅤ- vrr strobing with adjustable overdrive, pwm fill at low Hz, ksf phosphor
- wide color gamut
- BGR sub pixel layout

...and more
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 29 Mar 2022, 10:22

Sorry, I won't have any better camera than my Samsung s20 :( on the bright side, you all will get to see my armature photos and my written thoughts on how it holds up vs the XG27AQM (a $700 monster). Yes I'll make a separate topic for it no worries but I wanted to mention it for all the VRR + strobing enthusiast that might be following this thread like me :P

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 01 Apr 2022, 05:15

Still, I'm looking forward to it. I see online S20 camera should be very good and flexible with adjustments. Not sure how yours looked so off. U just need a max resolution, adjustable shutter speed and adjustable focus. Those are the most basic settings...

What are your expectations for M27Q X after doing some research on FI27Q-X and Gigabyte monitors in general?

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 01 Apr 2022, 11:19

My expectations are the following
1. Gigabyte warranty is trash, I've owned their products before and the warranty exclusions prevented me from being able to get my stuff fixed. I hate gigabyte if I'm being frankly honest
2. The backlight strobe + VRR SHOULD be better than ASUS ELMB SYNC BUT not as good as ELMB (fixed refresh)
3. I expect that I'm stuck with the firmware the monitor ships with, a lot of horror stories about updating firmware on gigabyte products has led to bricked devices (my gigabyte laptop from 4 years ago included!)
4. I expect the companion software to control the OSD functions through windows and keyboard shortcuts to work way better with more features than asus companion but worse than MSI's implementation
5. I expect the gtg response time will be worse than my asus XG27AQM but that shouldn't matter too much if the backlight strobe is better than ELMB sync
6. According to the manuals, it SEEMS like you can change the overdrive while backlight strobe is active which is a HUGE deal if it's true. It's annoying to have to use the service menu to change the OD on XG27AQM and then the settings reset every time you turn off the monitor.
7. I don't know if it uses the KSF red phosphor panel but it if does, that would be good to give me expectations for my eve spectrum.

Lets see what happens when I get the monitor, I'm excited to review any good monitors that come out this year.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 01 Apr 2022, 13:17

Well we already have answers to some of the expectations.

3. Firmware can be updated through OSD sidekick, but M27Q X doesn't have new firmwares available for download.
4. OSD sidekick is a bit sluggish and unresponsive, but it does the job. A few extra unnecessary programs come installed with it which u can uninstall. I noticed there are two differently sized OSD sidekick downloads, one being 290 MB and other 60 MB. Not sure why is that. Both worked fine for me. U can download the latest 60 MB version from FI32Q X support/download page. I haven't tried keyboard shortcuts yet.
5. Response times are a fraction slower, shouldn't matter really.
6. Yes overdrive can be changed in strobe modes. It might even come with usable variable overdrive (Smart OD), similar to g-sync.
7. This panel definitely uses ksf phosphor. I used to think it doesn't. U can barely see it in FI27Q-X pursuit shots.

Expect the same implementation as on M32Q with acceptable 20-30-ish frames of fluctuation. One good thing is ksf ghosting will be less distracting on higher refresh rates. I'd say strobe crosstalk will be average like on all other 240Hz monitors. Clearest middle 1/3, less clear bottom, and least clear top of the screen.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 04 Apr 2022, 14:32

Finally got the panel....
I'm both impressed and disappointed XD Will post a separate thread on my findings. Will need some good setting to use for my Samsung S20 pro camera mode...

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 Apr 2022, 01:30

Nice! See ya there.

Yeah it took me some time to get decent settings for my phone too. See if u can disable any AI enhancement stuff. That thing can ruin image quality. It's especially bad for display recording.

This quick guide might help you further: viewtopic.php?p=74863#p74863

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 06 Apr 2022, 11:51

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9893
I'll add the ufo tests later today when I get the chance, your review of the M32Q is spot on and is VERY similar to what I'm experiencing with this new M27Q-X monitor so I referenced it, I hope you don't mind.