Looking for a TV - options?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
jbltecnicspro

Looking for a TV - options?

Post by jbltecnicspro » 10 Jul 2021, 08:13

I'm looking to get a TV for our family room. Main usage will be playing Wii U and probably a Switch down the road.

60hz motion clarity is what I'm shooting for. Here are the options that I narrowed it down to:

- LG C1/CX 48 inch. This one has BFI at 60hz and is cross-talk free
- Sony 48-inch A9S. This one also appears to have BFI at 60hz and is probably cross-talk free (it's also an OLED)
- Panasonic/Pioneer plasma. Probably 42 inch. Motion clarity is not as good as OLED or CRT but better than LCD.

A couple of notes:
- I'm a CRT nut. Always have been. I *hate* cross-talk for strobing.
- I hate IPS panels but will tolerate them if it means motion clarity

A couple of questions:
- For the Sony, does anyone know if it also has the same double-strobe limitation of the LG OLED's at Medium and Low BFI mode at 60hz?
- Is there any hints of rolling scan motion clarity implementations making their way to consumer OLED's? Seems that would solve the clarity + "is it bright enough?" problem

Finally - are there LCD screens that I'm overlooking? Specifically, are there any cross-talk free TV's at 60hz? If so, then they'd definitely be on my short list.

Yes... I'm picky. I'm still peeved that after all these years, we still don't have a replacement for CRT, at least in this arena. Thanks guys!

RonsonPL

Re: Looking for a TV - options?

Post by RonsonPL » 17 Jul 2021, 13:54

Hey.
I've also been CRT guy until my Sony 24" died, and I also struggle a lot if I can't play games on anything at least close to crystal clear motion.

From the little I know about OLEDs, go for LG.
You could also wait for the new gen OLEDs to go down in price, especially since gaming makes it lifespan rather short, so if money is a concern, maybe consider getting one of the good 1080P LCDs.
The problem with LCD TVs are that they're not the fastest LCD panels, but on the other hand, they can get brighter and unless you use rtx 3090, you may end up with better picture quality at locked 60fps with 1080p TV compared to 4K TV, so there are pros and cons.
I mean the Sony TVs with 800Hz in paper specs - those can do usable single strobe at 60Hz (there are better and less good models, so you'd have to do some research, it's not always newer=better)

And if it's the opposite, you have lots of money - get a G1 OLED, the bigger the better.

I wouldn't bother with Plasmas.

And check the Chief's thread about alternatives. Maybe getting a VR would be a better solution for you, if you want a display for other hardware, PC, emulators etc. If you remember CRTs, I assume you're a fan of emulation as well. I mean. Come on. Nobody who played side-scrollers on CRTs can live without those. :D