Gigabyte M27Q BFI (Aim Stabilizer) and VRR (Freesync) Question

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
day0ex

Gigabyte M27Q BFI (Aim Stabilizer) and VRR (Freesync) Question

Post by day0ex » 15 Jul 2021, 13:54

Hey Blur Buster forum I recently purchased a Gigabyte M27q and I notice something very strange. According to Rtings, Tom's Hardware, etc. I should not be able to run Black Frame Insertion (Aim Stabilizer) and Freesync at the same time. However when I pointed my smart phone camera I am able to what seems to me a strobing effect. Could someone verify this or is the camera seeing things?

BFI PLUS FREESYNC https://youtube.com/watch?v=Re9soL_mfjI

BFI ONLY https://youtube.com/watch?v=toFSWFodl1A

FREESYNC ONLY https://youtube.com/watch?v=UgFWEKL_O6E

As you can see with Freesync only there is no strobing from freesync. With BFI locked at 170 hertz I can see flicker and with Freesync and BFI I am able to see flicker again.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Gigabyte M27Q BFI (Aim Stabilizer) and VRR (Freesync) Question

Post by RealNC » 15 Jul 2021, 20:48

Are you sure freesync is still active when in BFI mode? Test it with a game that has smooth scrolling and cap your FPS to 20FPS below the refresh rate. See if there's jitter/microstutter. If there is, then freesync doesn't really work.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 16 Jul 2021, 03:24

The fact that you can even enable both on this monitor at the same time is interesting. It shouldn't be supported.

Best way to test this is with Frog Pursuit - use white line on black background pattern, press F to toggle fps limit slider. See how it behaves. If u see constant tearing in X-170Hz range than it's not working.

But by purely observing camera-screen flicker frequency fluctuation it would suggest it works.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

day0ex

Post by day0ex » 16 Jul 2021, 11:12

I was able to find a slow motion option for my phone camera. Here is the Forg Pursuit with different framerates.

BFI AND VRR SLOW MO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3BGVGPBtM

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 17 Jul 2021, 04:34

It seems to do something, Now the question is how does it look like, good, bad? Is it worth using?
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

adam_rtings

Post by adam_rtings » 26 Jul 2021, 06:40

day0ex wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 13:54
Hey Blur Buster forum I recently purchased a Gigabyte M27q and I notice something very strange. According to Rtings, Tom's Hardware, etc. I should not be able to run Black Frame Insertion (Aim Stabilizer) and Freesync at the same time. However when I pointed my smart phone camera I am able to what seems to me a strobing effect. Could someone verify this or is the camera seeing things?

As you can see with Freesync only there is no strobing from freesync. With BFI locked at 170 hertz I can see flicker and with Freesync and BFI I am able to see flicker again.
What were the steps to get to BFI + FreeSync? Did you just enable aim stabilizer, then switch on FreeSync? I can get someone to double-check this, any extra info you can provide would be a huge help. Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2021, 14:44

It's possible this is an undocumented "Aim Stabilizer Sync" like the FI32Q and M32Q, that is also in the M27Q.

From the video it looks imperfect quality, but might be good for low-latency strobing at consistent framerates at certain frame rates. Too bad it doesn't appear to support single-strobe 60Hz strobed VRR, which would be perfect for emulators.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

adam_rtings

Post by adam_rtings » 28 Jul 2021, 10:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:44
It's possible this is an undocumented "Aim Stabilizer Sync" like the FI32Q and M32Q, that is also in the M27Q.

From the video it looks imperfect quality, but might be good for low-latency strobing at consistent framerates at certain frame rates. Too bad it doesn't appear to support single-strobe 60Hz strobed VRR, which would be perfect for emulators.
On the M32Q it was really unstable below 85Hz. I'll see if someone can take another look at the M27Q. Even if it's not perfect, it's nice to see manufacturers starting to play around with these features.

day0ex

Post by day0ex » 30 Jul 2021, 11:16

adam_rtings wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 06:40
day0ex wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 13:54

What were the steps to get to BFI + FreeSync? Did you just enable aim stabilizer, then switch on FreeSync? I can get someone to double-check this, any extra info you can provide would be a huge help. Thanks!
Hi I did return the monitor but I switched back and fourth between the settings. With BFI enabled the monitor was not usable since there was a double image behind the ufo and sadly the overdrive is locked the highest settings.
So I tried with BFI + Freesync enabled, then with freesync only, then with BFI only. The strobing effect only occurs when BFI is a 170hz or when I have BFI and Freesync enabled.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 07 Jun 2022, 05:58

Just noticed gigabyte updated their monitor list and apparently there are two revisions of M27Q and M27Q P. For second revision they list Aim Stabilizer Sync as a feature. Perhaps that could be you were able to make it work.

M27Q 1.0 https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M27Q-rev-10#kf
M27Q 2.0 https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M27Q-rev-20#kf
M27Q P (new panel) https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/M27Q-P#kf

Also there is a bug on some gigabyte monitors (M32Q) where if u enable aim stabilizer first and freesync second u get a single strobe vrr. Something similar could of trigger this to work.