Looking for the best strobing 1440p+ >144hz monitor in 2021

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Bishi

Looking for the best strobing 1440p+ >144hz monitor in 2021

Post by Bishi » 22 Jul 2021, 04:45

I keep a close eye on monitor tech and every year I purchase one hoping to be blown away by the performance.

Most recently I purchased a Samsung G7 and while it was a great monitor out of the box and for general gaming, for FPS games I found it fell far short compared to my trusty old Benq XL2730Z (strobing, 144hz). I'd completely written off VA monitors before but got caught up in the hype! Unfortunately the included MBR did virtually nothing on that screen as it was already pushing that VA panel to its limits (it has other issues like scanlines on certain websites etc)

I am very sensitive to ghosting and blur but I guess that's because I've been spoiled with this Benq strobing monitor for so long. I'm basically addicted to backlight strobing at this point so I guess a monitor that doesn't have this tech won't cut it.

So what I'm asking is what TN (or IPS) monitors exist that can give my XL2730Z a run for its money and be ideally 1440p+ >144hz, backlight strobing, very low response times. Also important is maintaining a high brightness while strobing, for instance I returned an Asus PG278Q because it was dim while strobing, despite otherwise being a good monitor. >27" is a bonus too!
I don't really care about VRR or having to disable it for strobing since I'll be running it with a 3080 Ti so framerates shouldn't really be an issue. If it has some tech like ELMB that'd be great, as long as it works OK :)

Some ideas:
Asus PG329Q https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg329q
MSI MAG274QRF-QD https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... g274qrf-qd

Thank you

Bishi

Re: Looking for the best strobing 1440p+ >144hz monitor in 2021

Post by Bishi » 23 Jul 2021, 07:05

Hmm so I bought the PG329 after reading great reviews but the ELMB mode just doesn't cut it :(
It's so much dimmer and has less 'pop' with the ELMB mode on, but in addition just doesn't compare to the XL2730Z. Even at 175mhz ELMB mode just isn't as accurate and I see slight double imaging.

Templardude

Post by Templardude » 23 Jul 2021, 15:04

I know what your saying. I'm sensitive to ghosting after growing up gaming on CRTs. Also my Benq was a great monitor but having the hardware upgrade bug I buy a new monitor every couple of years.

I'm currently on the hunt for something to replace my ASUS ROG Swift PG279QZ. From watching a youtube video I guess I'm looking for another 27" 1440p but with 240hz refresh rate

If you find something please update this thread.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 24 Jul 2021, 06:28

Will do man, I do have a SPECTRUM ES07D02 coming when they eventually start shipping them https://euro.evedevices.com/pages/full-specs which Chief Blur Buster himself strobe tuned https://eve.community/t/blur-buster-eve ... tion/29085
Really hoping that it is the holy grail, but it is still IPS so I guess we'll see!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jul 2021, 23:33

Bishi wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 06:28
Will do man, I do have a SPECTRUM ES07D02 coming when they eventually start shipping them https://euro.evedevices.com/pages/full-specs which Chief Blur Buster himself strobe tuned https://eve.community/t/blur-buster-eve ... tion/29085
Really hoping that it is the holy grail, but it is still IPS so I guess we'll see!
Yes, I have strobe-tuned the Eve Spectrum 4K144 and I am even working on VRR strobing for an upcoming firmware upgrade. The EVE Spectrum Strobe Utility can be downloaded here, much more powerful than BenQ Strobe Utility because it has a Vertical Total displayer and adjustable Overdrive Gain.

As you already probably are aware -- be warned, it uses slow red KSF phosphor in its LEDs so it will have red-phosphor ghosting -- www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor ... However, it's the best-strobe-tuned KSF panel at the moment, IMO. Tuned by me, it has less ghosting than a plasma display, but worse ghosting than a CRT tube (throttled slightly by KSF).

Considering the dismality of LCD motion handling in the past, that's still spectacular if you want wide-color-gamut strobing that is also retro-friendly too (60Hz single strobe!), and the red phosphor ghosting sorta accidentally make it feel more CRT-authentic-like in a roundabout way (it's strange that this disadvantage flips into a semi-advantage when running emulators), much like CRT filters -- it's also a perfect MAME / retro panel that will make Sonic Hedgehog and other fast-scrollers shine, with 4K making MAME HLSL CRT filters more realistic looking.

Yes, be noted, it's a crowdsourced monitor with the risk that entails, but it is now currently in factory production & already shipping under the new Eve team. If you do order, you may wish to choose express shipping rather than the slow boat. You de-risk quite a bit by choosing the fast shipping.
Bishi wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 07:05
Hmm so I bought the PG329 after reading great reviews but the ELMB mode just doesn't cut it :(
It's so much dimmer and has less 'pop' with the ELMB mode on, but in addition just doesn't compare to the XL2730Z. Even at 175mhz ELMB mode just isn't as accurate and I see slight double imaging.
Don't forget to use refresh rate headroom!

That's why 120Hz strobing at 240Hz looks so much better than 120Hz strobing on a 144Hz panel.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dANii

Post by dANii » 25 Jul 2021, 01:23

XG279AQM ? Or wait for zowie to maybe release a 1440p with dyac.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 25 Jul 2021, 17:07

dANii wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 01:23
XG279AQM ? Or wait for zowie to maybe release a 1440p with dyac.
Hah, I've been waiting for Benq to release a good new gaming monitor since 2015!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2021, 00:09

So if you're looking for another...

If you can settle for narrow range strobing (120-165), the MSI MAG274QRF-QD has surprisingly good strobing.

I have not worked on that unit, but it's pretty top-notch, especially if you use the refresh rate headroom trick (run 120Hz instead of 165Hz).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

makaveli6103

Post by makaveli6103 » 29 Jul 2021, 12:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:09
So if you're looking for another...

If you can settle for narrow range strobing (120-165), the MSI MAG274QRF-QD has surprisingly good strobing.

I have not worked on that unit, but it's pretty top-notch, especially if you use the refresh rate headroom trick (run 120Hz instead of 165Hz).
I have the MAG274QRF-QD and it does have very good strobing.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Jul 2021, 22:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 23:33
Bishi wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 06:28
Yes, I have strobe-tuned the Eve Spectrum 4K144 and I am even working on VRR strobing for an upcoming firmware upgrade. The EVE Spectrum Strobe Utility can be downloaded here, much more powerful than BenQ Strobe Utility because it has a Vertical Total displayer and adjustable Overdrive Gain.

As you already probably are aware -- be warned, it uses slow red KSF phosphor in its LEDs so it will have red-phosphor ghosting -- www.blurbusters.com/red-phosphor ... However, it's the best-strobe-tuned KSF panel at the moment, IMO. Tuned by me, it has less ghosting than a plasma display, but worse ghosting than a CRT tube (throttled slightly by KSF).

Considering the dismality of LCD motion handling in the past, that's still spectacular if you want wide-color-gamut strobing that is also retro-friendly too (60Hz single strobe!), and the red phosphor ghosting sorta accidentally make it feel more CRT-authentic-like in a roundabout way (it's strange that this disadvantage flips into a semi-advantage when running emulators), much like CRT filters -- it's also a perfect MAME / retro panel that will make Sonic Hedgehog and other fast-scrollers shine, with 4K making MAME HLSL CRT filters more realistic looking.

Yes, be noted, it's a crowdsourced monitor with the risk that entails, but it is now currently in factory production & already shipping under the new Eve team. If you do order, you may wish to choose express shipping rather than the slow boat. You de-risk quite a bit by choosing the fast shipping.
Bishi wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 07:05
Don't forget to use refresh rate headroom!

That's why 120Hz strobing at 240Hz looks so much better than 120Hz strobing on a 144Hz panel.
Chief,
Does this monitor look interpolated when you choose a custom 1080p resolution in CRU ?