Eliminating Motion Blur on my monitor

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
nehry

Eliminating Motion Blur on my monitor

Post by nehry » 05 Aug 2021, 19:04

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to eliminate motion blur from my monitor. I've noticed whenever I'm playing VALORANT, enemies are zooming past my screens. I currently have an Alienware aw2521h 360hz monitor paired with an AMD Radeon 6800XT but i've come to the sad realisation that ULMB is not supported by AMD.

Is there any chance I can reduce/eliminate input lag or did I screw up with what I purchased?

Thanks.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Eliminating Motion Blur on my monitor

Post by Discorz » 09 Aug 2021, 04:47

nehry wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 19:04
Are you sure ULMB doesn't work with amd? Have you checked on that? Or is it greyed/locked out in monitor osd?

AW2521H user manual says:

"NVIDIA ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) helps have less of a motion blur effect while you are watching fastmoving images. When the graphics card supports GSYNC, make sure that the Enable G-SYNC function is not selected in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
NOTE: This function is available when the refresh rate is 144 Hz or 240 Hz with DP connection. Ensure that the DP cable is directly connected to the monitor DP port. This function is not available when connecting DP through a dongle/hub.
NOTE: When G-SYNC is enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel, the message of G-SYNC Mode is displayed. If your system doesn’t support G-SYNC, then the message of Normal Mode is displayed."

So make sure u disable G-SYNC if possible, use proper refresh rate and cable.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

nehry

Post by nehry » 09 Aug 2021, 06:37

Thank you so much for the reply. ULMB is a Nvidia ONLY thing. G-Sync is only supported by Nvidia. AMD uses FreeSync instead. And yes it is greyed out on the monitor osd when I set my monitor to 240hz.

Would there be other software's that could mitigate this problem?

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 09 Aug 2021, 10:27

nehry wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 06:37
Adaptive-sync/G-SYNC (not processor) needs to be disabled for ULMB to work. Is it possible to disable only that on this monitor? Can you send some pictures of your osd?

I know ULMB is nvidia tuned strobing but that shouldn't mean it won't work on amd. Unless they purposly made it like that.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

nehry

Post by nehry » 09 Aug 2021, 20:31

Hey Thanks for the reply.

So I've turned my monitor down to 240hz and have made sure adaptive sync and freesync is disabled and the ULMB setting is still greyed out on my monitor. :/

Guess i'm stuck like this right?

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 10 Aug 2021, 06:01

Idk man. Maybe someone else can help you further. Bur it does sound like it shoulf work.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2021, 13:45

Try turning HDR off.

This is why Blur Busters Approved moniors does not have a Hz restriction on strobe backlights. We hate presets (Such as "85, 100, 120" or "120, 144, 240") and we believe all refresh rates should be strobeable.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fluxxr

Post by fluxxr » 16 Aug 2021, 15:06

Any updates on this nehry? Or others that have the aw2521h?

I noticed a post on a dell support page for a 2518 where the dell support guy said gsync can be off if you are in 60hz mode but if you want to go higher hz then gsync needs to be on. "To get any Hz above 60, G-Sync must be on". The guy with the monitor kept on trying to turn off gsync but it automatically turned back on.

I am just curious if it has an issue where you try to turn off g sync then the module keeps turning it back on?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2021, 16:55

Generally, on the majority of monitors, it is possible to turn off VRR (G-SYNC or FreeSync) without any refresh rate sacrifice.

If this is an actual DELL Alienware support page with accurate information, I’d like to see a link to it — just in case it was misunderstood or required some simple additional steps (e.g. another setting) to keep high Hz with and/or without VRR.

If this is a bug caused by missing EDIDs (plug n play signalling) in non-VRR mode, try manually creating high Hz modes in a Custom Resolution Utility (NVIDIA or ToastyX).

Make sure to use DisplayPort, rather than HDMI for this particular situation. HDMI may work fine at high-Hz but on older native G-SYNC chipped monitors, your refresh rate options may be maximized by trying DisplayPort.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!