Black Frame Insertion ReShade?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
liquidshadowfox

Black Frame Insertion ReShade?

Post by liquidshadowfox » 11 Aug 2021, 11:40

Is there a Reshade I can inject using geforce experience to get software based black frame insertion? I see how smooth everything looks in the BFI UFO demo. Would it even work with VRR enabled? I tried looking online but it seems someone took down the github repo that had the original Reshade filter for BFI

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Black Frame Insertion ReShade?

Post by Discorz » 11 Aug 2021, 17:12

It would work to some degree but you'd get half the framerate information since every other frame shows black color and it was very dim. The one i tried worked only at fixed refresh rate and the game had to be either borderless or windowed. I can send you link tomorrow. Its an .exe file.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 11 Aug 2021, 20:50

That's great! Thanks! Half framerate is fine as the picture motion would still appear clearer in motion than without the BFI. I wonder how it'll handle games that are locked to 60 fps.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 12 Aug 2021, 05:50

Here you go: Download
Since it was very dim I remember increasing monitor brightness made colors look very bad.
If you experience flickering that means app refresh is not synced with monitor refresh rate. It needs to be perfect to look good.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Ozzuneoj

Post by Ozzuneoj » 30 Aug 2021, 10:16

I could be wrong here, but software based BFI won't work very well on a standard LCD based panel because you're limited by the response time of the pixels to transition between each frame and solid black. In fact, slower screens will probably be a dark mess without ever even achieving a full black frame. Strobing works because the display can switch the backlight off completely and then turn it on quickly at the right time (with the right brightness) to break up the blurring effect on sample and hold displays. The pixels themselves don't turn black, because that is a much much slower transition.

OLED panels may do better in this way, but I'm sure it's still nowhere near what you'd see with proper hardware strobing (even on a backlit LCD panel).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Aug 2021, 15:23

Ozzuneoj wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 10:16
I could be wrong here, but software based BFI won't work very well on a standard LCD based panel because you're limited by the response time of the pixels to transition between each frame and solid black. In fact, slower screens will probably be a dark mess without ever even achieving a full black frame. Strobing works because the display can switch the backlight off completely and then turn it on quickly at the right time (with the right brightness) to break up the blurring effect on sample and hold displays. The pixels themselves don't turn black, because that is a much much slower transition.

OLED panels may do better in this way, but I'm sure it's still nowhere near what you'd see with proper hardware strobing (even on a backlit LCD panel).
OLEDs do BFI better than LCDs do.

However, software BFI are useful for many things:

(A) Manufacturers may disallow strobing at the desired refresh rates (e.g. 60Hz) that a user wants. Thusly, software BFI becomes the only possible option for a specific monitor for a specific refresh rate.

(B) The strobe crosstalk www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk may be terrible for hardware strobing for a specific model/panel, to the point where software BFI is superior for a specific model of LCD.

Strobe backlights requires fuller LCD GtG hiding (see www.blurbusters.com/area51 for more science) and if GtG isn't hidden in the VBI Between refresh cycles fully, the double image effect may be more objectionable. Software BFI can produce cleaner strobing than very terrible hardware strobing. You need a very good LCD such as www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 in order to be vastly superior to software BFI.

Both (A) and (B) has happened enough to make software BFI useful. Software BFI is built-in into RetroArch emulator, for example.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 10 Apr 2022, 21:32

Is it possible @Chief Blur Buster that the program above that emulates BFI can cause burn in on LCD? I just used it to test on my Asus XG27AQM and I saw what looked like burn in on my monitor while playing league of legends until I turned it off and waited 5 mins for it to recover. I found that software based BFI made the image clearer than default but less than ELMB sync (in the middle only of course) but the whole screen didn't have crosstalk with software based BFI. I was also getting a random flicker from time to time but not sure if that's from my side.

Nicklah

Post by Nicklah » 03 Sep 2022, 01:32

Discorz wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 05:50
Here you go: Download
Since it was very dim I remember increasing monitor brightness made colors look very bad.
If you experience flickering that means app refresh is not synced with monitor refresh rate. It needs to be perfect to look good.
Hi i was wondering if it would be possible to get a new link to this? very keen to find a software based BFI

narinishi

Post by narinishi » 14 Jan 2023, 19:27

Nicklah wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 01:32
Hi i was wondering if it would be possible to get a new link to this? very keen to find a software based BFI
You can use the tool discussed here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5625&start=20#p43672
liquidshadowfox wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 21:32
Is it possible @Chief Blur Buster that the program above that emulates BFI can cause burn in on LCD?
Yes, however it is temporary. See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7539

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2023, 16:59

It's called temporary image retention.

You can solve this by using either:
(A) An odd cadence (e.g. 60fps BFI at 180Hz); or
(B) A phase-swap (e.g. extra black frame) once every 15-60 seconds.

These prevents the voltage imbalance from the LCD voltage inversion electronics that uses opposite voltage polarity for every other refresh cycle. BFI that goes in sync with LCD inversion algorithm, is the cause of the temporary image retention. Doing either (A) and (B) avoids the situation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!