Would Samsung G7 be good candidate for backlight strobing?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
liquidshadowfox

Would Samsung G7 be good candidate for backlight strobing?

Post by liquidshadowfox » 20 Aug 2021, 02:25

I see the default backlight strobing implementation is worse than asus ELMB sync imo (might be a bad unit, I'm getting a replacement soon) and considering how good the response times on this panel are, wouldn't it make a good use case for a good backlight strobed VA panel? Hell I'd be excited if VRR backlight strobing would be possible on this panel considering it already does backlight strobing at 60 hz. Thoughts? Is there a good backlight strobed VA panel out there? Would a VA panel even be able to meet the blur buster approved with this level of performance or is the dark transitions too slow to meet the criteria?

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Would Samsung G7 be good candidate for backlight strobing?

Post by Discorz » 20 Aug 2021, 09:28

liquidshadowfox wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 02:25
Wow, you really aren't satisfied with ur XG27AQM. G7 has very badly tuned mbr and it doesn't support vrr + strobing. You don't have a bad unit. Asus just don't do it properly yet. G7 would be a downgrade unforunately. Even tho you might see G7 on top of the response time list it still has dark level smearing. Wait a year for something better to come out because I think you wouldn't be satisfied with any of the currently available monitors.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 20 Aug 2021, 10:25

I'd like to say more than I am exploring what's out there in terms of backlight strobing. The asus XG27AQM is AMAZING with ELMB but I don't normally play without Gsync. The default elmb sync feature is great but like I mentioned in my forum post, it requires me to constantly change the OD gain using the service menu every time I turn off the monitor :P and the crosstalk is a little distracting at lower refreshes. At higher than 200 hz it's better but you still objects appear kinda bad around the edges but the inside of render objects look clear. I know G7 doesn't have VRR + backlight strobing but I wanted to see if the chief could chime in (or someone with more know how) about what requirements would a VA panel need in order to be half decent at backlight strobing. I agree the G7 has really bad backlight strobing.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 21 Aug 2021, 05:27

If G7 was tuned better it would look sharper on ufo test with a few darker trails behind. With less or no trailing on lighter background colors. Crosstalk tuning is something I can't predict.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup