Question about Large Vertical totals on elmb sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
liquidshadowfox

Question about Large Vertical totals on elmb sync

Post by liquidshadowfox » 14 Oct 2021, 21:22

Is this something that's possible to reduce crosstalk on elmb sync monitor? Currently have a 270 hz ELMB sync monitor and was wondering if this could be applied to make strobing have less crosstalk at 200 hz since I'd have an additional 70 hz of headroom and would it work across the whole refresh range since it's dynamic with freesync/gsync?

elexor

Re: Question about Large Vertical totals on elmb sync

Post by elexor » 15 Oct 2021, 00:45

If your are using VRR with windows set at 270hz, you automaticly get the headroom when vrr fps lowers.

From my experience with the vg279qm's elmbsync it's only decent over 200hz. strobe quality drops dramaticly as hz goes lower.

Problems with asus's elmb implementation that prevent quality low hz strobing:

* asus vrr overdrive is not variable and they lock the overdrive gain that's only optimal for high hz, lower hz will have bad overshoot.
* As vrr hz goes lower strobe crosstalk area increases rather agressively, due to the pwm fill getting larger.
* You have to contend with LFC. which can cause image duplications when strobing. (monitor hz and stroberate not matching fps)
* At a certain point pwm fill area becomes so large that all benefits of strobing are lost.

a5hun from Aperature grill has done an excellent analysis of vrr-elmbsync
https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/ASUSVG279QM/

Newer implementations of elmbsync might be better or worse then the vg279qm. it seems like asus is still experimenting with it.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 15 Oct 2021, 03:58

Thank you for the informative answer. I guess you are right since freesync/gsync already use QFT in order to achieve it's low latency and tear free experience. Welp I guess i'll have to wait until a better backlight strobing VRR monitor comes out that uses single strobe.... Sadly Gigabyte's monitor all have terrible red phosphor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Oct 2021, 12:55

liquidshadowfox wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 03:58
Thank you for the informative answer. I guess you are right since freesync/gsync already use QFT in order to achieve it's low latency and tear free experience. Welp I guess i'll have to wait until a better backlight strobing VRR monitor comes out that uses single strobe.... Sadly Gigabyte's monitor all have terrible red phosphor.
Yes, the lower quality of VRR strobe is the way ELMB SYNC doesn't automatically use refresh rate headroom as a method of reducing crosstalk. They have heavily prioritized on flicker-reduction.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 16 Oct 2021, 02:25

Thanks for the info chief! I'm so sad that there's no better VRR strobing :( I can't imagine why nvidia wouldn't do a firmware update on their many Gsync module monitors and enable VRR backlight strobe. I imagine the capability is there :(
Gigabyte's aim stabilizer sync works but it's used on panels that have red phosphor (and it looks like it has some minor crosstalk too). Isn't it also possible to update previous "blur buster" approved monitors with VRR strobing? (I imagine no because the hardware might not support it but blur buster approved already has tight requirements of being highly tunable strobing so I can't imagine it wouldn't be possible)