DisplayPort Switchbox Hack to Enable LightBoost

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
stupdude2

Post by stupdude2 » 05 Nov 2021, 08:34

I have a laptop connected from USB-C to DisplayPort to an Asus VG248QE through a DP switch. The switch swaps the monitor between my home PC with Strobelight configured and the laptop which doesn't support it. Rarely and miraculously, when I click the DP switch between PC and laptop, the strobing continues and I get no motion blur using the laptop! Has anyone else experience this? Anyone know a way to more consistently keep the strobing when swapping to the laptop?

Thank you.

stupdude2

Post by stupdude2 » 08 Nov 2021, 15:39

I solved this by adding custom resolutions following this tutorial and it works.

https://blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2021, 16:56

That's pretty neat. Bait-and-switch technique to get LightBoost working on non-computer sources.

LightBoost has a DRM handshake with a proprietary NVIDIA code.

Usually ToastyX strobelight can execute this hack without needing bait-and-switch (but can have difficulty on Intel GPUs), but it's interesting to know that the bait-and-switch technique also works!

Dunno if this will work on ULMB though, as the handshake for ULMB is much more rigorous/locked to NVIDIA cards.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!