XG270 Crosstalk [And Tips To Reduce Crosstalk]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
jimbalance

XG270 Crosstalk [And Tips To Reduce Crosstalk]

Post by jimbalance » 03 Dec 2021, 14:11

Hi all,

Just recently obtained a Viewsonic XG270 240hz IPS monitor which has motion blur reduction feature, PureXP.

The user menu allows configuration of the function with 4 levels:
Light
Normal
Extreme
Ultra

Off

Difference seems to be that light is the brightest setting and ultra the dimmest.

Using the UFO test, some cross talk is visible when this function is activated.

Running at 240hz, with response time set to Ultra Fast (setting level 4 of 5) (this seemed to have no effect on crosstalk). I have no access to any other relevant settings (as far as I can tell) with PureXP turned on.

Below is a still of what I can see, captured by recording video from my phone:

Is there anything I can do to address this crosstalk? Or just forget about it?

Have been playing Rocket League at 240hz with the motion blur on and it looks great!!! So I am pleased either way.

Thanks, Jim
Attachments
still.jpg
still.jpg (356.78 KiB) Viewed 8164 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XG270 Crosstalk [And Tips To Reduce Crosstalk]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2021, 17:28

jimbalance wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 14:11
Is there anything I can do to address this crosstalk? Or just forget about it?
There are two ways to really optimize strobing:
- Latency priority strobing: Use 240Hz and tolerate the crosstalk
- Quality priority strobing: Use a lower refresh rate and/or avoid the "Normal"/"Light" settings.

For quality-priority strobing, you need refresh rate headroom

NVIDIA locks you away from 240Hz strobing because NVIDA ULMB would have bad crosstalk at 240Hz, and only lets you strobe up to 144Hz. However, PureXP strobing is unlocked and you can strobe any refresh rate from 75Hz to 240Hz. You have progressively less crosstalk the lower Hz you go below maximum, so you should choose your setting that optimizes headroom.

XG270 strobe rage = 75Hz-240Hz
XG2431 strobe range = 60Hz-240Hz

Tips:
  1. Break in your monitor by warming it up first
    Technical reason: warmer LCD has faster pixel response, which can reduce crosstalk
  2. Use refresh rate headroom to reduce crosstalk.
    Technical reason: More time to hide LCD pixel response between refresh cycles
  3. Use dimmer setting (Extreme or Ultra) to reduce crosstalk.
    Technical reason: More time to hide LCD pixel response in longer backlight-off period between shorter backlight flashes
You should strobe below max Hz, try 120Hz or 100Hz. Remember Refresh Rate Headroom is Good For Strobing.

120Hz strobing is much higher quality on a 240Hz panel, than 120Hz strobing on a 144Hz panel, because of this. If you prefer higher than 144Hz with strobing, then you can also try 180Hz strobing or 224Hz strobing with the XG270, if you want a higher refresh rate with less crosstalk than 240Hz.

Also, two ViewSonic monitors are Blur Busters Approved:
XG270 -- Blur Busters Approved Version 1.0
XG2431 -- Blur Busters Approved Version 2.0 (supports Strobe Utility)

For apples-vs-apples, 144Hz PureXP strobing on XG270 still has less crosstalk than 144Hz ULMB on many G-SYNC monitors, and they do not let you go above 144Hz (because crosstalk is always worst with max-Hz strobing), while ViewSonic monitors has an unlocked strobe refresh rate.

If you want lower-crosstalk and/or zero-crosstalk strobing, try 75Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz, combined with framerate=Hz (use your favourite frame rate capping technique, such as VSYNC ON (easiest but laggiest), or framerate cap, or RTSS Scanline Sync, or Special K Latent Sync)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jimbalance

Re: XG270 Crosstalk [And Tips To Reduce Crosstalk]

Post by jimbalance » 04 Dec 2021, 20:01

Thanks for the advice I'll have a go!