Upgrading from B8 OLED for improved BFI (black frame insertion)

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
genbaku

Upgrading from B8 OLED for improved BFI (black frame insertion)

Post by genbaku » 05 Jan 2022, 07:29

I have an OLED55B8 from 2018. I'm considering upgrading in the future for better BFI (black frame insertion)/motion resolution. For everything else, I'm more than happy.

Ever since I bought this TV, I have always used BFI for gaming despite the reduction in brightness. Coming from a plasma TV, the motion blur was immediately obvious, especially at 55 inches.

I was wondering what improvements have been made in terms of BFI with the newer OLED televisions?

The B8 only supports BFI at 60hz. I understand that the later LG models support BFI at 120hz. Does BFI at 120hz offer shorter black frame intervals resulting in better brightness?

Does the increased brightness of the newer models solve the problem of reduced brightness with BFI at 60hz?

Also, some people say you don't need BFI if you enable VRR? Does VRR actually improve motion resolution in any way? To my eyes, 60hz BFI looks a lot cleaner than 120hz without BFI.

Is there any specific new tech that I should look for in newer OLED TVs that will improve motion resolution?