LightBoost Sequel: ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

LightBoost Sequel: ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 16:32

I have known about this name for while, but NVIDIA has told me not to talk about it until they announce.

However, the cat is now out of the bag, thanks to bagekta on OCN.

The name of the LightBoost sequel is ULMB, which stands for Ultra Low Motion Blur. It is activated by a monitor button. It has none of the colored/crimson tinting problem of LightBoost, and the default colors are much better. ULMB is included in G-SYNC monitors, including the G-SYNC Upgrade board.

We'll be posting more information about this very soon, once I check with NVIDIA!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Black Octagon

Re: LightBoost Sequel: ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur)

Post by Black Octagon » 02 Jan 2014, 16:44

Very interesting! I'll freely admit that the tinting issue was a major reason why I had not yet pulled the trigger on LightBoost (not the only one, but a major one). Makes me even more excited for G-Sync :)

Looking forward to more info soon

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 16:47

Another piece of good news is that ULMB appears to work in multimonitor mode / surround mode. I was able to add my GSYNC monitor as a secondary monitor in a surround configuration, and still be able to activate ULMB on the monitor.

Although GSYNC is not supported in surround (hopefully this can be solved by a future driver), this does not apply to ULMB.
So that means if one got three GSYNC monitors, ULMB would still work.

Checking with NVIDIA to see what their plans are, because these boards reached users before NVIDIA announced this feature.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 02 Jan 2014, 17:27

Damn, i really wanna win that upgrade kit now, maybe i should edit my contest post and make it so epic they'll have to pick me lol

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 17:54

SS4 wrote:Damn, i really wanna win that upgrade kit now, maybe i should edit my contest post and make it so epic they'll have to pick me lol
A good idea, but alas, that doesn't work. ;)

Most forum software (including this one) keeps a record of edits -- only posts final as of the ding-dong of midnight (on International Date Line) will be accepted.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 02 Jan 2014, 18:00

pfff, thats what time machine are for duh :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 18:39

SS4 wrote:pfff, thats what time machine are for duh :P
While you're at it, I need to borrow your flux capacitor for a GPU performance benchmarking test that requires 1.21 gigawatts of power.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 02 Jan 2014, 18:50

Is there any information about how this is accomplished? Is the G-sync board just altering the color settings when ULMB is active to automatically correct the colors?

The thing I'm really interested in though is if it is possible that a future firmware update for the G-sync board will allow ULMB and G-sync to be active at the same time. It would be nice.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 02 Jan 2014, 18:59

Well, it's good to see research turning into production. It has been a very long 7+ years for me waiting for the industry to catch up to the problems that I see with LCD technology!

IT IS TIME TO GET YOUR GAME ON NOW BOYEEEEEEEEE!!!!

SS4

Post by SS4 » 02 Jan 2014, 19:12

I hope HDMI dies in the process, Display port and DVI are superior anyways and don't require royalties to be paid . . .