Question about ELMB-Sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Dave1980

Question about ELMB-Sync

Post by Dave1980 » 20 Mar 2022, 09:24

Hi everyone! My first post!

I got a question about ELMB-sync.
But first a little background
I have a pretty old 1080p 144hz Gsync monitor AOC 2460PG combined with a RTX2080Ti and a i7 [email protected] ghz

I use Gsync + Vsync ON all the time. 0 stutters and superb smoothness. Some games i need to cap to not see microstutter ( Final Fantasy 15 Assassins Creed Origins ).
I never play FPS shooters but open world and adventure games in single player.

I recently found out about ULMB. I use it with Vsync ON and i set my monitor refreshrate to 85hz.
Most of the games and the time my GPU manages to keep the framerate at exactely 85fps and its amazing. I dont want to return to non-ULMB gaming again.
There are times that the framerate will dipp to 65-77 range in some games and thta causes a tremendous microstutter / stutter / jitter . I play all my games with a controller so a mouse polling solution wont help only a stronger beefier GPU ( RTX 3080-3080Ti or future cards ).

But i read of ASUS having ELMB-SYNC would this help to reduce or eliminate the stutters when the framerates drops below the 85 fps ?

knypol

Re: Question about ELMB-Sync

Post by knypol » 20 Mar 2022, 13:27

From what I recall ELMB-SYNC is somehow broken - excessive crosstalks with unstable fps or screen is dimming/flickering. In my opinion much better choice is to reduce game details from highest to one step lower for stable 85fps.

Dave1980

Post by Dave1980 » 22 Mar 2022, 07:35

Thnx for the reply. It isnt the answer i was looking for. I know the cons like the dimlight and crosstalk.
But my question is a whole different one.
Does the ELMB-SYNC prevents or reduces stutter when you fall below the refreshrate of the monitor ?
Is stutter gone just like how Gsync works ?

The VG259QM has elmb working from 120hz and above
The VG279QM has elmb working from 100hz and above
If the framerate falls below the refreshrate WITHOUT ELMB-SYNC im sure it will stutter like on my ULMB monitor from AOC.

I ask this question because im very sensitive to stuttering and microstutter.
The low dimlight and crosstalk are not the things im too much worried about.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 22 Mar 2022, 08:42

Dave1980 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 07:35
Thnx for the reply. It isnt the answer i was looking for. I know the cons like the dimlight and crosstalk.
But my question is a whole different one.
Does the ELMB-SYNC prevents or reduces stutter when you fall below the refreshrate of the monitor ?
Is stutter gone just like how Gsync works ?

The VG259QM has elmb working from 120hz and above
The VG279QM has elmb working from 100hz and above
If the framerate falls below the refreshrate WITHOUT ELMB-SYNC im sure it will stutter like on my ULMB monitor from AOC.

I ask this question because im very sensitive to stuttering and microstutter.
The low dimlight and crosstalk are not the things im too much worried about.
Yes it prevents hz-fps asynchronicity stutters just like normal adaptive-sync. But all the vrr + strobing implementations we have so far are not very beneficial (because of PWM fill). VG25/279QM are not good at max refresh rate, as frame rate decreases it gets even worse. Some implementations are ok-ish only if your framerate dips 20-30 fps below used refresh rate (example).

As a minimum requirement vrr strobing needs adjustable (unlocked) overdrive. Asus and msi lock it on most of their monitors, Gigabyte doesn't.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup