Mini Review on gigabyte M27Q-X (gigabyte 240 hz with aim stabilizer sync)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
liquidshadowfox

Mini Review on gigabyte M27Q-X (gigabyte 240 hz with aim stabilizer sync)

Post by liquidshadowfox » 06 Apr 2022, 11:50

To give you some context, I look at discorz review of an earlier gigabyte monitor here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9291
Most of his notes carry over to this monitor in terms of features and performance (seriously it feels like not much changed between them except the 240 hz so there's a little more refresh headroom) and yes the bug still exists where you enable aim stabilizer FIRST and then freesync and it strobes at 60 hz and above with varying brightness (doesn't improve the performance at all imo).

Notes
1. XG27AQM ELMB is MILES better than gigabyte m27Q-X aim stabilizer at motion clarity
2. XG27AQM ELMB Sync is worse than m27Q-X aim stabilizer sync but red fringing + crosstalk on m27Q-X makes the top third of the display almost unusable for reading text in motion.
3. In game, the red fringing on m27Q-X with aim stabilizer sync is more noticeable towards the top of the display and less at the bottom. In areas with no crosstalk the motion clarity is good even with the slight red fringing but when you have minor crosstalk combined with the red fringing it's difficult to read text in motion (like league of legends summoner names over characters).
4. You are able to change the overdrive on the m27Q-X while you enable backlight strobing so I am a big fan of this. The Balanced OD is actually usable now for any gaming above 200 hz and Picture quality should be used below 200 hz. The change in pixel response time can be noticed if you try to use Picture quality above 200 hz with aim stabilizer sync so the motion clarity isn't as good without using balanced OD. Smart OD is useless, it applies the wrong OD setting at most settings levels.

I will take some pictures with my samsung s20 for UFO ghosting test and crosstalk test later today and ill show you side by side vs the XG27AQM. It makes me VERY sad that the XG27AQM elmb sync was so close to perfect if only they added strobe phase setting to change location of clarity it would be perfect for high refresh strobing.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Mini Review on gigabyte M27Q-X (gigabyte 240 hz with aim stabilizer sync)

Post by Discorz » 07 Apr 2022, 13:21

Is it same panel as FI27Q-X with BGR layout? 2020 gen IPS? You can check panel model within factory menu. If so how is the text clarity?

Is it also too dim when strobing?

Now after seeing strobed ksf panel what are your thoughts on it?
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 07 Apr 2022, 22:17

I tried taking the pursuit photos with my phone but they haven't come out clear like I did with the asus so I haven't posted them as a result.
From what I can tell I DO NOT think this is using the BGR layout as the text on white backgrounds don't have a weird haloing effect and the text looks sharp so I assume it's not using a BGR layout but I will check it out for you tomorrow.
It doesn't look too dim while strobing, it looks similar to my Asus XG27AQM elmb sync and it's like 10%- 15% darker but I think it looks good.
The KSF strobed panel in my eyes is really distracting if there is crosstalk. If there is minimal or no crosstalk the KSF actually doesn't bother and motion looks really crisp AND it feels softer on my eyes for some reason vs some ULMB monitors.
Needless to say the KSF really destroys the image in the top 1/4 of the panel and bottom 1/4 but the middle 2/4 are quite usable in my opinion and I am VERY impressed you get this level of performance for this price point compared to what I paid for the XG27AQM when it first came out. I still in the end decided to stay with my XG27AQM because the ELMB (none sync) looks MILES better (assuming I can hit 240-270 fps in a given game). I have given the gigabyte monitor to my wife who seems to enjoy the strobing and she plays less demanding titles than I do so she has no issues hitting the high refresh where the strobing looks really good.

I am VERY excited for the eve spectrum 280 hz now after seeing this panel considering the KSF isn't as bad as I thought it would be when strobed correctly and our blur buster chief's tuning skills are legendary when seeing his work on the eve spectrum 4k on fixed strobing.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 08 Apr 2022, 03:42

Thats a shame. These XG27AQM photos looked ok: viewtopic.php?p=69175#p69175. Try doing same here if u know the settings. We'll take what we can get anyways. :)

Its nice to hear brightness is good enough which I didn't expect. And use of non-BGR panel is surprising but we'll see if that is true when u check factory menu. Btw can we get a picture of the menu? Taking a pixels macro shot is also nice way to inspect the layout.

About the crosstalk, it can't be completely removed at max Hz even if pixel transitions were instant. That applies to all normally backlit lcds. For it to be completely crosstalk free it requires big refresh rate headroom or large vertical totals or a rolling backlight... From what I understood crosstalk is caused because of scan-out skew (nature of updating image from top to bottom) and backlight switching off/on instantly over whole panel.
https://www.testufo.com/scanskew - check 60Hz full screen
https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/ ... sstalk.png

Now the issue is if pwm fill that noone likes wasn't used for vrr strobing on ksf panels the red decay would get much worse as refresh rate decreases. And I think there is no way around this. Because just right after backlight switches off the red ghosting will be most intense, than it very slowly decays until backlight switches back on again, than the process repeats. 60Hz single strobed ksf panel for example is a big no-no. Now I'm wondering how did chief battle around this on new EVE monitors.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 11 Apr 2022, 13:28

Any news?

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 12 Apr 2022, 08:23

The moment of truth! Sorry for the long delay, been really busy and apologize for my mediocre shots but I tried to get the best images I could. Backlight strobing disables below 100 hz on this monitor, if you do the bug (enable aim stabilizer BEFORE freesync/gsync) this gets increased range of 80 hz - 240 hz, for some reason 60 hz strobing isn't working for me atm. Picture quality OD was used btw, the speed does get EVER so slightly better for 240 hz but for Gsync/freesync, picture quality OD is best IMO.
240 hz

200 hz

165 hz

120 hz

60 hz

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 12 Apr 2022, 10:34

Dam pictures are not great but for those who know how to observe and what to look for, still kinda usable. 240 fps shot is ok and maybe 120. Here's a random edit excluding 60 fps: https://ibb.co/album/SQpTrW. U have the sync track for pursuit camera accuracy in Pixels/Frame mode and can choose between 4-3-2 bar cascade for less flexible camera shutter.

Aaand yup, seems to behave same as m32q. With very narrow usable vrr strobe range.

What about panel model and sub pixel layout tho? Here is how to open factory menu guide.

Btw, Hardware Unboxed will do M27Q X review this month or next - https://youtu.be/84LBVtBMLrU?t=525

EDIT:

Aaand review its out! It's a great buy.
phpBB [video]

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 16 Apr 2022, 12:43

960pps, Aim Stabilizer at 240Hz with OD Balance, and at 144Hz with OD P.Quality, at middle screen?
Gigabyte M27Q X.jpg
Gigabyte M27Q X.jpg (430.99 KiB) Viewed 12138 times
Hardware Unboxed

∼960pps, max Hz, dark cyan row (top row)
XB273U GX vs FI27Q-X vs M27Q X vs AW2721D vs PG279QM.jpg
XB273U GX vs FI27Q-X vs M27Q X vs AW2721D vs PG279QM.jpg (186.64 KiB) Viewed 12113 times
XB273U GX, FI27Q-X and M27Q X from Hardware Unboxed, AW2721D Techless, PG279QM Optimum Tech

diogogmaio

Post by diogogmaio » 29 Nov 2022, 16:48

What are the final best settings, calibration for this monitor?
Recently bought it.
Looking for best settings.
Picture quality for below 200. And balanced overdrive above 200 is the best combo?
Aim stabilizer on just above 200 with balanced overdrive.

Tried to find the calibration from hardware unboxed but failed to get it.
Are they using sRGB mode tweaked? Standard? Kinda lost with the options available.

Thanks for the help from any user that has the same issue.