Gsync Stutter When Interacting On 2nd Monitor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Archernick

Gsync Stutter When Interacting On 2nd Monitor

Post by Archernick » 14 May 2024, 06:34

After racking my brain trying to figure this out, I've decided to come here and see if anyone smarter than me can help me resolve this issue.

First of all, specs:
  • Primary Monitor: Alienware 32 4K QD OLED AW3225QF (4k, 240hz, G-Sync Compatible)
    Secondary Monitor: Dell P2423DE (1440p, 60hz, No G-Sync Support)
  • Ryzen 5800x3d
    RTX 4080
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Crosshair Hero VI
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Both monitors are plugged into the GPU via Display Port; the Alienware is plugged in using an aftermarket cable.

Second, the problem:

When playing certain games, I will experience massive stutters and frame-drops when I interact with my second monitor in any meaningful way e.g. click on a browser window, hover over hyperlinks. For example, I can force frame drops of up to 50% by just running my mouse curser over the threads at the index of this very forum.

A secondary problem is that when I'm streaming to friends a game (namely Final Fantasy XIV) on Discord, clicking in-game will also result in the same FPS drop/stutter. It primarily occurs when clicking in the overworld and/or turning the camera, BUT it does NOT happen when clicking on UI elements.

Both of the above problems can be resolved by disabling G-Sync for my primary monitor. Unfortunately, I am unable to test whether it's my secondary monitor as I have no alternative, and I can't test plugging it into the motherboard as my CPU has no integrated graphics.

If anyone could help shed light on what's going on, help would be greatly appreciated!