Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Best 240 Hz for Overwatch, Battlefield, and Destiny 2?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

Best 240 Hz for Overwatch, Battlefield, and Destiny 2?

Postby TheUnforgiven1993 » 08 Nov 2017, 12:28

Hi,

I have a 1080 Ti coming in the mail and I really want the best equipment I can have to be the best I can be at the games I listed in the title.

I currently have a VG248QE. I love the ULMB at 120Hz for Battlefield, but I prefer standard 144Hz for Overwatch for some reason. It has some dead pixels and is getting pretty old, so I was thinking about upgrading to one of the newest 240Hz monitors. First, and most important question, is it worth $500+ to go to a 240Hz monitor from the VG248QE? I know this is opinion, but I'm just looking for opinions.

I'm thinking about buying the Alienware 25 inch with G-Sync, as it is the cheapest option with G-Sync right now on Amazon ($480). Any thoughts on this monitor or suggestions on a different one if the AW isn't great? I've never had G-Sync, is it even necessary at 240Hz? I'd assume I won't be able to hold 240 FPS in newer games, even with the 1080 Ti, which is why I was thinking G-Sync would be nice.

How do the colors and blacks look on the 240 Hz panels? Are any better than the others? Will they be better or worse than my VG248QE?

Thanks!
TheUnforgiven1993

Re: Best 240 Hz for Overwatch, Battlefield, and Destiny 2?

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2017, 19:26

AOC is fine if you're choosing the G-SYNC version. The G-SYNC based AOC is essentially AOC's 2nd generation -- and its overdrive is much better than the first AOC.

Currently, all the 240Hz G-SYNC models seem to be nearly identical in quality -- this is because NVIDIA has done a really good job of calibrating the 240Hz overdrive on these models to have less ghosting. Even eSports players that do not use G-SYNC, will find the reduced ghosting a redeeming attribute -- higher quality low-lag 240Hz during VSYNC OFF.

While TN and usually pushing the Hertz can cause color degradation, the good news is that colors aren't worse. Colors appear slightly better than most early 144Hz panels from 2013-2014. That said other than colors, blacks won't be blacker, and viewing angles is similar. Overall, the 240Hz have generally turned out to be better than the early/cheap 144 Hz panels. Definitely especially the VG248QE, which is a 144Hz monitor that came out in year 2013. It was an amazing monitor when it first came out but it's still a fairly old panel.

-- Currently, all G-SYNC powered 240Hz monitors currently has at least slightly better colors than VG248QE. Yes, even AOC.
-- ULMB is brighter and better colors than the VG248QE's LightBoost

Currently, these are all the available 240Hz GSYNC monitors:

240 Hz G-SYNC Monitors as of November 2017

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Return to G-SYNC