Best 240 Hz for Overwatch, Battlefield, and Destiny 2?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
open

Re: Best 240 Hz for Overwatch, Battlefield, and Destiny 2?

Post by open » 03 Dec 2017, 13:33

There was an issue a while back where laptops with newer nvidia cards would get microstutter while using an external gsync monitor. It appears to be fixed in the new drivers.

However many similar issues came up around the same time of the release of the nvidia drivers for the spring windows update. I would try using the newest drivers or the 378 drivers and see if that fixes either issue.

TheUnforgiven1993

Post by TheUnforgiven1993 » 05 Dec 2017, 17:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:TheUnforgiven1993, to be clear, are you using VSYNC OFF or G-SYNC?

TestUFO frame skipping works with Android/iPhone camera, but you may need to use a 3rd party app that makes exposures longer (e.g. 1/4sec) since we found other 240Hz monitors that has frame skipping bugs at 240Hz, but they're all non-G-SYNC monitor. I would be surprised if there is frameskipping on a G-SYNC monitor as I've never come across that artifact on a G-SYNC monitor.

I'd love to figure out why you're getting microstutter.
I tried every combination of GSYNC on/off and VSYNC on/off. Always got the stutter in gameplay.

I don't remember seeing issues on the testUFO website... but I'm not positive about that. I will say this: I have experience with other monitors skipping frames and it felt nothing like this stutter the Alienware had. I tried to overclock my LG 34UC88 to 75 Hz and it would successfully display, but would skip some frames. It still felt smooth-ish though. The Alienware stutter was much more noticeable.

I got the new Aorus 1080 Ti and it runs games perfectly smooth at 144 Hz on my VG248QE, and they were still stuttery on the Alienware, so I sent it back. I think I just got unlucky, everything I've seen about the Alienware has been positive. Despite that, I may go for another 240 Hz brand. Even though a replacement Alienware would probably be fine.

I also do think something was messed up with my original 1080 Ti. It still had stuttering problems on my VG248QE, just not as much as when it was used on the Alienware. The new one seems to be working well... So I think I got double unlucky, a bad video card and a bad monitor, which made it really difficult to troubleshoot.

RealNC wrote:Run TestUFO tests. Do they stutter?

Run the frame skipping TestUFO test. You need a camera with long exposure time to take photos of frame skipping.
I have already returned the monitor unfortunately, I do think I ran some of the tests before though and they seemed fine. I might not be remembering that correctly though.

whiteyfu

Post by whiteyfu » 07 Dec 2017, 00:59

Short term report on the alienware monitor I got last week, I gotta say it's definitely a step up over the zowie xl2450 I was using,the gsync made a huge difference in the main game I'm playing currently (quake champions), since that game has massive FPS drops due to being unoptimized, but the gsync makes it look like vsync is on, and even with the fps drops it still looks smooth pretty much all the time.

Also compared to the xl2450, everything is a lot more visible to my eyes when moving, it doesn't seem to have the extreme fuzziness/blurriness I was experiencing on the zowie.

Pretty happy with this purchase overall. If you want a gsync 240hz monitor, wouldn't hurt checking this one out, since it's the cheapest on the market.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2017, 20:32

Do you mean the XL2540?

Are you saying you like the Dell Alienware AW2518H better then the BenQ/Zowie XL2540? In what aspects? (Blur reduction? 240Hz? Variable refresh rate?) I'm interested to hear your comments!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whiteyfu

Post by whiteyfu » 12 Dec 2017, 23:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Do you mean the XL2540?

Are you saying you like the Dell Alienware AW2518H better then the BenQ/Zowie XL2540? In what aspects? (Blur reduction? 240Hz? Variable refresh rate?) I'm interested to hear your comments!

Yes, sorry, I mean the Xl2540.

I'm not doing any indepth testing like you guys do, but from based on on my own eyes, blur reduction at 240hz is (to me) better on the Alienware. The Zowie, no matter what I did, always seemed a bit blurry to me, and most of the time I found it really hard to see what was going on in Quake champions (the main FPS I've been playing a ton of), I would like to point out that doing the 182hz custom refresh rate as per blur busters instructions did help a bit, but not much.

I came from a BenQ XL2420TE, and had been running lightboost on it since I got it, but after going back and forth between the XL2540 and the XL2420TE, I felt the blur reduction on the XL2420TE with lightboost @10% was a bit better, at least to my eyes, than any setting or tweak I could do on the XL2540, although at 240hz everything definitely feels more fluid compared to 120hz, but again, it was harder for me to focus on smaller details or text in moving images due to the slightly worse blur reduction on the 240hz XL2540

On the AW2518H, I found text and small details much easier to focus on when the image was moving, and the gsync was a huge improvement for me in terms of Quake Champions feeling smoother, as that game drops frames quite a bit in it's current state, so holding a constant high fps isn't going to happen consistently, even with vsync disabled and a framerate cap in place. The Gsync (I'm assuming based on my understanding of what it does) makes the game feel smoother to my eyes, as if vsync is enabled, but doesn't have the slight input delay like vsync does, and seems to keep it looking smooth, even if there are decent dips in performance.

I think it mostly comes down to blur reduction, and image clarity in fast moving games as to why I believe the AW2518H is better than the XL2540.

Hope that was helpful in some way.

TheUnforgiven1993

Post by TheUnforgiven1993 » 14 Dec 2017, 19:47

Hey guys!

Thought I'd check back in. I have my replacement 1080 Ti and I just got my replacement AW2518H (for $400 on sale at Newegg, $115 cheaper than when I bought it last time).

Everything is SMOOTH!!!! I truly believe I got both a bad card and a bad monitor the first time around. My Overwatch gameplay is perfect now locked at 237 FPS V SYNC on and G SYNC on.

Highly recommend the monitor. I really think I just got unlucky with that first one.

Brah

Post by Brah » 16 Dec 2017, 09:51

It's good to know that you're both very satisfied with the AW2518H. I was wondering the same things as Odin76 however:
Odin76 wrote:
Currently, all the 240Hz G-SYNC models seem to be nearly identical in quality -- this is because NVIDIA has done a really good job of calibrating the 240Hz overdrive on these models to have less ghosting. Even eSports players that do not use G-SYNC, will find the reduced ghosting a redeeming attribute -- higher quality low-lag 240Hz during VSYNC OFF.
Chief,

Do you think there would be a difference in quality between the Alienware AW2518HF 24.5" FreeSync Gaming Monitor and the Alienware AW2518H 25" NVDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitor?
Do you think it would be worth it to pay a (in my case €150) premium for G-Sync? I have an i5-8600K and GTX 1080 and can hit 144FPS playing PUBG on Ultra (Overwatch consistent 300FPS with everything on Ultra).

I also looked at the Dell S2417DG, but it's €500 where I live. The AW2518H(F)'s are €500 and €355. I'm just not sure if the G-Sync is worth a 40% price premium when my FPS will easily be over 150 in the games I plan on playing.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Dec 2017, 10:36

Brah wrote:Do you think it would be worth it to pay a (in my case €150) premium for G-Sync?
If you like vsync, and want to use it because it provides that "perfect smoothness" feel, but are very annoyed by its input lag and the stutter you get when your FPS falls below refresh rate, then g-sync solves exactly that.

If you don't care about that, then g-sync won't do much for you. But if you really would like to use vsync if it didn't have the lag and FPS-mismatch stutter, then g-sync is a godsent.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.