Fortnite Settings - ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q 240Hz

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Krispy

Fortnite Settings - ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q 240Hz

Post by Krispy » 22 Jul 2018, 06:55

Setup:
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q
AMD Ryzen 1920X
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FW3 - Ran at 100% Fan Curve, keeps it relatively low even in games on high FPS/settings.
~2600 MHz Ram

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings: [G-SYNC Off]
https://prnt.sc/k9i2ez
https://prnt.sc/k9i2cp

Fortnite In Game Settings: [Basically the most agreed upon settings; also have seen other pros getting 300-400 FPS with these]
http://prntscr.com/k9i2pg

In a game like Fortnite, I believe it's the same scenario wherein you should turn G-Sync off to gain the highest FPS (for competitive play) now I do this but I find myself dropping FPS in gunfights up close, while looking around too much, or in specific places in the map. I watch other streamers and their FPS is a lot higher than mine when my PC is better. I could use some help to optimize my in game FPS through NVIDIA Control panel. I have the same in game settings as others, just my NVIDIA Control Panel settings (I don't have the other NVIDIA software installed, but I do have EVGA Precision settings my fans to max)

I generally get around 160-240 FPS while running the game and moving my line of sight (just looking around etc) but I see other pros getting 300-400 FPS. My idle FPS on load screens can reach 400, but that's about it. Anyone have any experience here?

Have been a long time lurker here, just signed up after getting my monitor from the guides / reviews here so thanks! :)

YukonTrooper

Re: Fortnite Settings - ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q 240Hz

Post by YukonTrooper » 22 Jul 2018, 23:41

Your CPU is holding you back. Fortnite is CPU bound with long draw distances, high player count and dynamic building fights. You need high frequency and high IPC on a few cores rather than many slower cores. In other words, an Intel quad+ core.

Also, high speed ram can help in CPU bound games, but usually only in instances where performance hits a wall at some CPU frequency. I doubt you'd see improvements with your Ryzen chip, but something to think about if you switch to Intel.

haanuman

Post by haanuman » 23 Jul 2018, 03:06

YukonTrooper wrote:Your CPU is holding you back. Fortnite is CPU bound with long draw distances, high player count and dynamic building fights. You need high frequency and high IPC on a few cores rather than many slower cores. In other words, an Intel quad+ core.

Also, high speed ram can help in CPU bound games, but usually only in instances where performance hits a wall at some CPU frequency. I doubt you'd see improvements with your Ryzen chip, but something to think about if you switch to Intel.

Isn't the 1920X a 12 Core CPU? Older games wouldn't have issues at all with this kind of specification.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Jul 2018, 08:08

haanuman wrote:Isn't the 1920X a 12 Core CPU? Older games wouldn't have issues at all with this kind of specification.
AFAIK, in Fortnite more cores are not useful. Higher speed per core is what matters most. In other words, a 12-core with low clocks will perform worse compared to a 6-core or even 4-core with higher clocks.

I don't know much about Ryzen, but if you can disable half the cores on it and then clock the remaining ones much higher should give you a nice perf boost. I don't know if the interconnect layout plays a role here. It's probably best to read up on Ryzen overclocking strategies.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 08 Aug 2018, 16:23

At the very least you should have gsync on with vsync off. That turns gsync on unless your fps exceeds your refresh rate.

IMO you should turn gsync on and cap at 236 fps. Any extra frames you get beyond your maximum refresh rate are essentially junk frames. They will have tears which is conflicting visual information and will make predicting movement less accurate, hampering your aim and movement.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2018, 17:20

It is a matter of personal preference (VSYNC OFF versus GSYNC).
But wildly fluctuating framerate games like Fortnite can actually work better with GSYNC enabled.

I actually watched (on Twitch) some eSports players such as Fatal1ty play Fortnite that suddenly capped out at 240fps. I am not 100% sure if that was VSYNC ON, a framerate cap, or GSYNC/FreeSync -- but most 240Hz monitors are variable refresh rate capable and it is possible they were playing VRR.

If you enable GSYNC, then I do recommend capping slightly lower than max Hz, 236fps, to avoid the lag-surge effect of slamming against 240fps and falling below 240fps. (Basically it switches to VSYNC ON the moment your framerate hits 240fps).

So basically GSYNC + VSYNC OFF + in-game framerate cap (approx 235 to 238).
This can improve aiming feel in a wildly-varying framerate situation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

knypol

Post by knypol » 10 Aug 2018, 13:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:...
erm why vsync off not on...not long ago some1 in this forum confirmed that gsync+vsync on+framecap is the optimal setting.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 10 Aug 2018, 16:15

knypol wrote:
erm why vsync off not on...not long ago some1 in this forum confirmed that gsync+vsync on+framecap is the optimal setting.
It doesn't really matter if you have a cap, but if you're going for less input lag over no tearing you want vsync off just in case the game engine has a hickup that doesn't respect the cap.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Aug 2018, 02:28

sharknice wrote:
knypol wrote:
It doesn't really matter if you have a cap
It does matter, even with the cap. Some games and some systems are fine either way. Some will have lots of tearing if you use g-sync without vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 11 Aug 2018, 20:19

That means they're exceeding the cap and you need to lower it.