27" Asus moniter

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
gunslinger

27" Asus moniter

Post by gunslinger » 13 Apr 2014, 11:05

I’ve been following this for a while now. I have a 144Mgz Asus 27” monitor and from what I seen they seem to favor the 24” model. Can the 27” be modified as well, after all the refresh rate is the same as the 24”, I’ve also watched the tutorial of the swap out and all I’d say that would be different would be the extra 3 inches, any suggestions? :?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 27" Asus moniter

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2014, 04:22

gunslinger wrote:I’ve been following this for a while now. I have a 144Mgz Asus 27” monitor and from what I seen they seem to favor the 24” model. Can the 27” be modified as well, after all the refresh rate is the same as the 24”, I’ve also watched the tutorial of the swap out and all I’d say that would be different would be the extra 3 inches, any suggestions? :?
The 27" panel is too different in order to use the GSYNC upgrade board.

It is currently technically much easier to debezel and hack a BENQ XL2411T (same panel as VG248QE) to use the GSYNC Upgrade, than to retrofit an ASUS VG278HE to use the GSYNC Upgrade.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger » 14 Apr 2014, 09:51

Bummer, could you be a little more specific as to the "differences" is it the actual screen size or something else. I build and repair computers and lottery machines so I have the technical expertise to work around minor difficulties.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2014, 09:36

gunslinger wrote:Bummer, could you be a little more specific as to the "differences" is it the actual screen size or something else. I build and repair computers and lottery machines so I have the technical expertise to work around minor difficulties.
When you remove the panel, the position of the connectors (LVDS) are different, and the backlight connector. The calibration LUT (lookup tables) and overdrive LUT need to be completely different for the different panel (so even if it worked, you might have either a bleached image or a very dark image, with funky looking overdrive from being off by even a tiny fraction of a volt). There is no gamma DDC/CI command, though you could recalibrate brightness and contrast, and then use NVIDIA Control Panel to do the gamma recalibration. ULMB might have ugly ovedrive artifacts, but GSYNC might actually end up being usable if you manage to jump through these hurdles, and that's only *if* you managed to get it all working. Heck, it might work better than expected.

If you attempt this, I'd like to hear from you; since there are many other people who want to do GSYNC upgrades on 27" monitors even if they have to debezel their monitor. Make sure you take photographs as you go. And if it all fails, at least you can resell the GSYNC Upgrade Kit to someone else at probably full price to a person outside USA. (since NVIDIA doesn't sell them overseas at this time).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger » 15 Apr 2014, 15:54

Crap, guess I'll just wait for a factory gsync 27" monitor. There's just too many what if's to screw up a great and new 144Mgz monitor. Thanks for the reply and info, I didn't think there'd be that much of a difference.