G-Sync Compatibility on AOC G2460PF

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
NorfPews

G-Sync Compatibility on AOC G2460PF

Post by NorfPews » 02 Jun 2020, 15:18

Hello. So I've been using the optimal guide for G-sync compatibility for most of my games (G-sync on, v-sync on, frame cap 141@144hz) but I've noticed that even a very small frame drop of 1 fps causes frame stutter which makes it noticeable in game. I was wondering if that is an intended thing of g-sync compatibility or if this is an issue because my monitor is technically not officially supported for G-sync.

I don't recall having this issue when I used Freesync with my Rx 480, which makes me believe it is a G-Sync compatibility issue, but when I tested games without G-Sync, the stutters still continued.

None of my friends seem to have an issue (with or without G-Sync), and I know for a fact I'm not experiencing placebo because the frame stutter is clearly there. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Monitor: AOC G2460PF
GPU: GTX 1660 Super

jorimt

Re: G-Sync Compatibility on AOC G2460PF

Post by jorimt » 05 Jun 2020, 06:51

NorfPews wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 15:18
when I tested games without G-Sync, the stutters still continued.
Then it's not G-SYNC.

What game(s) are you experiencing this in (and when?), and have you read this portion of my article?
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... spikes-101
What are Frametime Spikes?

Frametime spikes are an abrupt interruption of frames output by the system, and on a capable setup running an efficient game engine, typically occur due to loading screens, background asset streaming, network activity, and/or the triggering of a script or physics system, but can also be exacerbated by an incapable setup, inefficient game engine, poor netcode, low RAM/VRAM and page file over usage, misconfigured (or limited game support for) SLI setups, faulty drivers, specific or excess background processes, in-game overlay or input device conflicts, or a combination of them all.

Not to be confused with other performance issues, like framerate slowdown or V-SYNC-induced stutter, frametime spikes manifest as the occasional hitch or pause, and usually last for mere micro to milliseconds at a time (seconds, in the worst of cases), plummeting the framerate to as low as the single digits, and concurrently raising the frametime to upwards of 1000ms before re-normalizing.

G-SYNC eliminates traditional V-SYNC stutter caused below the maximum refresh rate by repeated frames from delayed frame delivery, but frametime spikes still affect G-SYNC, since it can only mirror what the system is outputting. As such, when G-SYNC has nothing new to sync to for a frame or frames at a time, it must repeat the previous frame(s) until the system resumes new frame(s) output, which results in the visible interruption observed as stutter.

The more efficient the game engine, and the more capable the system running it, the less frametime spikes there are (and the shorter they last), but no setup can fully avoid their occurrence.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

NorfPews

Post by NorfPews » 05 Jun 2020, 13:21

I notice the stutters im almost every game but it's especially noticeable in fps shooters such as Valorant or Apex Legends.

Ive read the article you've posted. So lets say I'm playing at a consistent 141 fps with the optimal G Sync settings, occasionally my fps will dip a little below that and I can notice the stutter. A frame drop to like 137 is just as noticeable as a frame drop to something like 77. Im not sure if this the same thing as your article mentions.

I've spent more time fiddling around various different settings yesterday and found that playing on a Fixed Refresh with fast sync enabled somehow didn't give me the stutters so Im not sure if Im missing something.

What Ive tried doing upon reading up various forums and suggestions:
1)changing the cru range
2)overclocking the monitor just a tiny bit above 144
3)trying various combinations of fast sync, v sync, off, fixed refresh rate

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Jun 2020, 13:47

NorfPews wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 13:21
Ive read the article you've posted. So lets say I'm playing at a consistent 141 fps with the optimal G Sync settings, occasionally my fps will dip a little below that and I can notice the stutter. A frame drop to like 137 is just as noticeable as a frame drop to something like 77. Im not sure if this the same thing as your article mentions.
If the framerate drops for a split second and there is a noticeable stutter, yes, it is a frametime spike.
NorfPews wrote:
I've spent more time fiddling around various different settings yesterday and found that playing on a Fixed Refresh with fast sync enabled somehow didn't give me the stutters so Im not sure if Im missing something.
Use whatever configuration you desire, but FYI, Fast Sync actually causes recurring microstutter and doesn't fix system-side frametime spikes.
NorfPews wrote:
What Ive tried doing upon reading up various forums and suggestions:
1)changing the cru range
2)overclocking the monitor just a tiny bit above 144
3)trying various combinations of fast sync, v sync, off, fixed refresh rate
None of the above will alleviate frametime spikes, as they are system-side, not display-side.

Also, fair warning, troubleshooting this is a deep, deep rabbit hole, and even if you can allievate frametime spikes, you can't eliminate them in all instances. Further, this is a very difficult medium (text) to help troubleshoot in, because everyone's sensitivity to and definition of "stutter" is subjective.

Have you happened to monitor these instances with the Afterburner frametime/framerate graphs?

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

NorfPews

Post by NorfPews » 05 Jun 2020, 13:57

I did monitor the frametime/framerate via Afterburner and for the most part it was nearly a flat line seemingly smooth.

Thanks for your help! I guess since this issue is certainly a system side problem so there really isn't much I can do.

It was frustrating that even dropping 1 frame(140 fps) was causing a stutter and no one else in my friend group was experiencing this issue so I assumed it had something to do with the monitor.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Jun 2020, 14:48

NorfPews wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 13:57
Thanks for your help! I guess since this issue is certainly a system side problem so there really isn't much I can do.
If it's the game (or game's netcode), no, there isn't. But if it's a problem background process or a general system config issue, maybe, maybe not. I don't know your general system config or your usage habits (dual monitors? multitasking while gaming, etc?) well enough to say either way.
NorfPews wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 13:57
It was frustrating that even dropping 1 frame(140 fps) was causing a stutter and no one else in my friend group was experiencing this issue so I assumed it had something to do with the monitor.
Yup, typically not a monitor issue. As for your friends, again, "stutter" sensitivity is highly subjective, so not saying this is the case, but it's possible some of them do experience the issue and simply don't notice.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 05 Jun 2020, 15:40

jorimt will there be less screen tearing if fps is capped to monitors refresh rate compared to fps capped at 160 for example (on a 144hz monitor) ?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 Jun 2020, 20:38

fowteen wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 15:40
jorimt will there be less screen tearing if fps is capped to monitors refresh rate compared to fps capped at 160 for example (on a 144hz monitor) ?
Not sure what this question has to do with the subject of this thread, but if you are referring to G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off (?), no, not really. For standalone V-SYNC off (fixed refresh non-VRR), you can use Scanline Sync, which caps the FPS to your refresh rate and then allows you to manually steer the tearline off-screen.

fowteen

Post by fowteen » 05 Jun 2020, 21:16

Yeah sorry for not making another post. I just wanted to ask another question, if you have consistent 144 fps for example with gsync off + vsync off will the tear lines always be in the same spot? or can I private message you and ask questions there?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Jun 2020, 12:40

fowteen wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 21:16
Yeah sorry for not making another post. I just wanted to ask another question, if you have consistent 144 fps for example with gsync off + vsync off will the tear lines always be in the same spot? or can I private message you and ask questions there?
Generally you can PM me (or start another thread; I monitor the active topics regularly [search.php?search_id=active_topics], and will answer when I feel I have relevant input to give), but to answer that here, no, it will instead tend to continually "roll" downward with framerates within the refresh rate.

Again, you need something like Scanline Sync when using standalone V-SYNC off to keep the tearline stationary and out of site with framerate = Hz scenarios.